Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Blue bird micro servo gear replacement

Old 11-24-2007, 01:03 AM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue bird micro servo gear replacement

I just bought an Ikarus yak foamie at a swap meet and found t hat 2 of the 3 Bluebird 303 servos are bad and I suspect the gears are stripped. I found the gears are much less $$ than replacing the servo but I can't seem to comprehend how the servos come apart. Any advice on replacing the gears?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:36 PM
cheddar-caveman

Default RE: Blue bird micro servo gear replacement

Funny - I just answered this question on another forum. Mine are the 306BB servos so I guess yours may well be as well. They "split" around the body, just under the fixing lugs. Firstly, remove the two printed labels on each side of the servo. They just peel off.
Get a knife and push it into the casing just under a lug and gently twist. Do the same under the other lug. Kepp repeating this until the main servo arm bearing clears the top casing and presto! Be careful because as soon as the bearing is clear the top can jump off along with all the gears and spindles!

Hope this helps!
Old 11-24-2007, 10:26 PM
expo

Thanks for the response, Cheddar. Your pics really helped. I think mine are the same except for the BB.

Question: in the second photo there is an arrow pointing to a gear. What's the significance?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:20 PM
cheddar-caveman

Hi Expo. Glad they helped. The arrow was just pointing to the gear I stripped, and seems to be the most common one to go, and was asking Blue Bird to send me replacement. As it happens a complete set is very cheap so I have three coming from Taiwan.
Regards CCM
Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 PM
expo

Cheddar,
I found replacement gear sets on ebay for $6 or $7 including shipping. Did you find them any cheaper where you ordered from? Expo
Old 11-25-2007, 05:55 PM
yakman

They are the same as waypoint. aircraft-world.com sell replacements.

http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/views.asp?hw_id=1136

306 gears here for less than $2
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 AM
cheddar-caveman

I bought from the manufacturers (on Ebay) but the last post looks a good price! I'm trying to find metal gears for these servos. BEWARE! NEVER move the control arm, or the control surface attached to it, with these small servos! YOU WILL STRIP THE GEARS! Only ever move them the correct way, from the Tx/Rx! I have realised that this has been my main problem. Be careful when putting model into the car or just handling it. They break so easily!

Another "be careful". The spindle that the arm gear fits onto is "keyed". The gear will only go on one way. Don't force it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...B:EOIBSA:UK:11

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20264.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	812296