Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Two Rx batteries into the Rx...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two Rx batteries into the Rx...

Over on RCGroups, there was a thread in the XPS forums where an aircraft pilot was wanting to use dual Rx batteries plugged directly from two switches into the Rx. I was under the impression that, without any type of regulator, plugging two 4.8 batteries into the receiver would be equivalent to plugging one 9.6V battery into it. Two of the guys there said that it would still be 4.8 volts.

Could someone please explain this to me? I'm just not able to fathom it. Can I seriously just plug two of my 6V batteries into my Rx and magically have the battery redundancy that I crave without a regulator or batt-share device? Would two 2500 mAh batteries then effectively give me 5000 mAh and better current draw capabilities?

-Pat
Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two Rx batteries into the Rx...

Yes. I run two batteries and switches in my birds that are large enough to carry it. Many crashes are caused by switch failures, so redundancy is good. These batteries are in parallel, so voltage stays the same, amperage is the sum of both packs. You'd have to wire them in series (positive off one pack, negative off the other to the rx with the remaining pos and neg wired to each other) to get 9.6V.

eDitteed fore sppelin
Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trent is exactly right! To help you understand, there's a diagram and explanation at
http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/parallel.html

Jon
Old 11-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to understand that you are not plugging the batteries in series with each other, which would add the two 6 volts together to equal 12, but by plugging them into adjacent ports, you are paralleling them. The voltage stays the same at 6 volts, but the mah capacity is added to each other.

Your two 6 volt, 2500 mah packs plugged into your receiver ports will equal 5000 mah, at 6 volts. No regulators, or back up systems are required. Just be sure to check both battery voltages at their charge jacks before each flight.

> Jim
Old 11-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now, that is fantastic news for me. Thank you for the quick responses!

-Pat