Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which radio is best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 AM
brountree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio is best for me?

I am brand-spanking-new to the RC world. I decided to get into this as a hobby and ordered my first helicopter 2 days ago; an E-Flight Blade CP+. I'm also bidding on a Blade CP Pro with a ton of extra parts. I expect to crash A LOT in the beginning.

I've tried to glean as much info as possible on the subject and one recommendation that seems to prevail is to buy the best radio one can afford. I don't intend to do that, I'd rather stay married, but I've found some options that I would like to run by a vastly more experienced crowd.

I have initially selected a Futaba 9CHPS Super PCM Synthesized radio with an R319DPS receiver; $480 including shipping. However, I have the opportunity to purchase a New, never been used, still in original packaging Futaba 9Z WC2 PCM1024ZH with a TKFSS RF synthesized module and an R309DPS receiver for $674 including shipping.

I understand the 9Z is a more complex radio and the learning curve between the two may be much greater but I'm willing to invest the time if the end result is a much better radio for a great price. I'm aware the 9Z is discontinued but I'm not sure what percentage that should contribute to the decision.

I can buy the 9CHPS anytime but the 9Z offer is time sensitive. Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bertman
Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Which radio is best for me?

Many beginners get way ahead of their needs. That being said, do you have an instructor lined up and would he be able to understand the radio? That is very important as most sport fliers really don't want or need a radio that is so complex, nor do their instructors. There is no gain for a beginner to have such a radio as it takes away from the real goal of becomming a proficient flyer in a reasonable ammount of time .
Secondly, by the time you reach the level where you can apply the radio to your current plane the radio will be replaced with something with more bells and whistles and not worth anywhere near what you paid for it.[:@]

There are many really good entry level transmitters out there and you might consider that first...you may not like the sport after a short time, a common occurance.
Good Luck and welcome to the "Sickness" called RC.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
brountree

Thanks Gizmo!

Considering your reply, do you think the 9CHPS is too much too soon as well?

Bertman
Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was going to start from nothing in RC at this time, I would take a very hard look at the 2.4 GHz Systems instead of the 72 MHz systems. That IS the future of RC.

Your way of thinking is a good one. Buy the best radio you can afford, NOW. If you are one of those that has to have the latest and greatest radio released, then buy something that you are comfortable with now and upgrade later, but it will cost you more.

The part where you get an instructor or at least a flying buddy is good advise. Find him/her first and see what he/she flies and go from there.

I cannot give you any advise on Futaba radios as I'm a JR guy.

Rafael
Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM
brountree

Thanks Rafael! Funny you should mention 2.4GHz. I've spent the last hour diving deeper into the radio options thanks to Gizmo's reply. Everything I've read agrees with your recommendation for 2.4GHz. I have modified my search to only include radios supporting that frequency.

I agree with the recommendation to seek an instructor or fly buddy. Sadly, it is not in my nature to do so until I have crashed and burned (in this case probably literally) many times over. For me, half the fun is trying to figure everything out on my own until I've exhausted every venue. However, from the looks of it, I may be seeking assistance sooner rather than later.

Bertman
Old 11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

If I were you I would try the Spectrum radio. It's cheap, not to complicated; and later you can upgrade the TX only to one of the top notch JR Tx with a Spectrum module. Now there is only up to 9ch, but by the time you "graduate" there will be a 12ch

I am switching my Mx22 to Spectrum 2.4 module now but have to change all the Rx'es also since Spectrum wasn't around when I started...

hope this helps,
Vasek
Old 11-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: brountree
...I agree with the recommendation to seek an instructor or fly buddy. Sadly, it is not in my nature to do so until I have crashed and burned (in this case probably literally) many times over. For me, half the fun is trying to figure everything out on my own until I've exhausted every venue. However, from the looks of it, I may be seeking assistance sooner rather than later.
If you are going to pursue RC helicopters as a hobby, the FIRST thing you should find is an instructor / coach. Even before you settle on a radio / heli combo. Somebody with experience, any experience, (more than you). He / She will save you many headaches, and a LOT of money.

Glad I could be of help.

Rafael
Old 11-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Gulliver

If you don't want to get an instructor you should at least start off with a simulator - a good idea even if you do decide to find an instructor.

There are several good ones. I use the Great Planes G3.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 PM
brountree

Thanks Gulliver, that was going to be my next question. What about simulators? I've read they can save considerable repair costs and time. Since I'm starting with relatively inexpensive electric helicopters I'm not as concerned with operational costs but repairs and downtime could be frustrating.

I'll check out the one you recommended. Is there a simulator that's suitable for the E-Flight Blade CP models?

I appreciate everyones insight, experience and recommendation to seek instruction. There's little doubt I will end up with an instructor sooner rather than later. I just can't resist the opportunity to test my mettle beforehand and tear the heck out of my back yard, garage, living room, etc. Just kidding about the living room...for now. :-D

Bertman
Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Bert,
Find an instructor sooner than later, if you like and respect him/her (you never know), than go with what is something they reccommend. Later you will come up to a level where a complex radio will be an asset. Remember, it is best to walk before running............
Good deals on RC stuff are always out there, many times from those who overbought and found they really didn't need or want the complex items that the pros use.
Go for the basics first, give 2.4GHZ a year to become better and cheaper like any new electronic item .
Old 12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a few thoughts for you to consider....

A 9Z is a great radio and was initially designed with heli's in mind and IIRC, it's still the only tx that was manufactured with a 9 point throttle curve for those. HOWEVER, it will drive you nuts trying to learn how to program it as the interface is not user friendly. I went to a 9Z from a 9C Super and it took me three days to figure out how to get my first model programmed into it with triple rates on the controls. It's also still going to be 72MHz...[]

None of the options for converting it to 2.4 are very good ones IMHO.

So I moved over to the "Dark Side" with the native 2.4 systems from Spektrum/JR first with a DX-7 and now with an X9303, and I won't go back.

Regardless of the naysayers, 2.4 is here to stay and works great; it's faster meaning a more "connected feel" with the model, virtually immune to any kind of RF interference, the model match on those systems is a great addition as well. Then add in the fact that you can forget getting shot down by someone else's careless or unknowing operation of another tx and I think it's got too many advantages to even consider buying new 72MHz stuff. Maybe if you found a real deal on something used that was in really good condition and are willing to play the shoot down game, it may be a good alternative. Part of my concern (and the biggest reason I switched) is all the churches and schools going up around our flying site and all those folks using them to fly. Then there is the fact that a lot of the park flyer/toys which used to be on 27MHz, are now coming on 72MHz and most of the folks using those are completely un-aware of the problems they might cause by turning on their new "toy" while others are flying.

Performance and feature wise, if you can get away with 7 channels the DX-7 will knock the socks off a 9C Super and it's a chunk less money. If you've gotta have 9 channels the new X9303 is really a great intermediate radio in terms of capabilities and will do almost anything you can learn until the 12X comes out with more channels and features.

Get the simulator as even with the training gear and simulator experience, you'll be buying lots of parts for the Blade CP trying to learn to fly it. Mine has made a fool out of me on too many occasions to recall and my only solace is the guys who have heli's all say the Blade CP is very difficult to hover, I'm gona look real hard at the new Blade 400 when it shows up and IIRC, it's a 2.4 system as well.

JMHO, YMMV...

OH, one other thing; last thing I'm aware of on it, is that the Blade CP still comes on a negative shift 72MHz system so should you go with a 2.4 system you won't be able to use it on the Blade CP, it'll have to be the tx that comes with it.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
brountree

Thanks Zeeb, you've provided a lot of really good information!

Well, if anyone is interested I've decided to stay away from the 9Z because it's way too complicated for beginners. I did however purchase the Futaba 9C Super with the Synthesized transmitter to support my Blade CP+ and CP Pro. Once I graduate to more complex helicopters I will upgrade to the 2.4GHz module.

The reason I've decided to immediately upgrade to a nicer radio than what came with the helicopters (other than I MUST have cool stuff) is that several Blade owners cited greatly improved performance, reliability, ease, and less glitch (whatever that is) by changing radios. There were too many comments about how much more enjoyable it was to fly their Blades after switching radios to ignore.

The good news is that I saved enough money on the radio to buy the Great Planes G4 simulator and still have money left over, at least for now. I have a feeling this hobby gets more expensive as time passes.

Thanks to everyone who reached out to help with my foray into RC. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time passes.

Regards,

Bertman
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: brountree
...I have a feeling this hobby gets more expensive as time passes....
You are correct. But like any hobby, you make it as expensive as you like. You can continue going up on the scale, or you can stay "hovering" on a certain level. One thing to remember, is that the hobby of RC helicopters is not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination.

Rafael