Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Royal Electronics Servos

Old 04-09-2003, 06:47 AM
Renegade_2k
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Electronics Servos

Hello all,

Does anyone remember the Royal Electronics Company?

I was looking through a box of older stuff I had purchased a few years ago, for some items to use in completion of a couple of projects. I ran across some Royal Mini-Titan servos (8 of them) that I had originally purchased for use with a Kraft (new style.. Taiwan?) radio. These servos have the Airtronics connectors. Anyway, I'm now using Futaba equipment, and I'm having a problem making the servos work.

I took one of them, and trimmed off the "bumps" from the Airtronics style connector, and switched what I thought were the Positive and Negative wires at the plug. When I plugged the servo into the receiver and turned on the switch, all it would do was chatter and buzz. I moved the stick, but this made no difference in the servos response. I quickly unplugged it, and began looking for information on these servos. Unfortunately, I've had no luck. My questions are this:

1 - Will these servos work with a Futaba radio (8UAP)?
2 - What would the pinout of the servo plugs be, going left to right, as originally supplied for the Airtronics radios, looking at the plug from the "bumpy" side, with the plug pointing at me?
3 - When looking at the amplifier board inside the servo, with the pigtail connection closest to me, it appears as if the Positive wire is on the right, the Negative wire is on the left, and the Signal wire is sort of in the middle of the board (looking at the non-component side of the board). Does anyone have a schematic for this, and is my guess correct?

I would like to use these, as they are brand new, and they would work perfectly for a couple of small projects I've got going! Any help from those of you who are more technically inclined would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 04-09-2003, 06:58 AM
Rendegade

Default Royal Electronics Servos

Hey, you stole my nick!
Old 04-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Renegade_2k

Default Stolen Nick???

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Dunno how that happened, RenDegade, but I've had mine since August 2002....

Nice to meet you though!!
Old 04-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Renegade_2k

Default Negative pulse servos.

Ok...

I called Radio South, and spoke to them on the Royal Mini-Titan Servos. During the conversation, they mentioned that they are probably negative pulse, and probably will not run with anything on the market today. Seems that some of the older radios (Pro Line and really old Airtronics) had a negative pulse on the servos signal wire to drive the servo in the proper direction. I did notice that the servo would drive (looking from the top) completely to the left, and then just sit there, buzzing. I removed the case top and the gears, and turned the pot by hand, and the buzzing all but stopped, but trying to re-center the pot made it run very fast.

Radio South mentioned that the signal wire could be disconnected at the amplifier board, and one of the transistors by-passed, to convert the servos to positive pulse. The trouble is, there are no schematics to be found on the Royal brand servos. It seems simple enough, I would just have to figure out which transistor to bypass. The trouble is, the signal wire is attached to a point on the board, that is shared with TWO transistors, which look identical. One of the three legs on each transistor is on the same board land as the signal wire.

Are there any tekkies out there that can help out with this? Is there some way to follow the lands from each transistor leg to some other component/wire, to isolate which transistor it is that I need to bypass? Any help would be appreciated!

Failing this, is there anyone interested in some brand new (though older equipment) mini-servos that have 33 in/ounce torque at .16 sec speed?

Thanks in advance for any help offered with this.