Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Receivers going into failsafe when used with TM-14

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receivers going into failsafe when used with TM-14

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
d_wheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receivers going into failsafe when used with TM-14

I have now made a total of 7 flights with the TM-14 module and 3 receivers. A successful ground range check was accomplished on all of the installations (3 times the recommended range at all orientations). The first day out was very windy, 20 mph gusting to 25, and although I felt there were times when I did not have control I put it off to the gusty conditions. However yesterday, while flying a Big Stik 40 with a R606FS receiver, I had 3 definite failsafe events. These occurred in about the same place every time, turning from downwind to base for landing, and once while inverted turning in the same location to make a low inverted pass. Two of the events lasted until I held the transmitter over my head, maybe 4 seconds, and control was regained. The other only lasted for a second or two and control came back without having to elevate the transmitter. This is the same receiver that has been in the airplane for 80 or so flights using a 6EX transmitter. In all that time, I experienced absolutely 100% solid flights.

I then launched a powered glider using the R6014S receiver. This aircraft has been flown using XPS, DX7, 6EX, and 14MZ/Spektrum module/AR7000 receiver. In countless flights it has been solid without going into any failsafe events that I can remember. One of my tests has been to get it up to about 500 feet and then point the transmitter antenna directly at the aircraft. I have never had a problem with any of the above listed systems when this was done. However, with the TM-14 and 14 channel receiver, it went into failsafe each and every time this was tried. During the landing pattern, at approximately the same place as the other aircraft, it went into failsafe for a short period.

I was afraid to try the third installation again as it is in a helicopter and therefore much less forgiving of failsafes.

I am very disappointed to say the least and have lost confidence on the system. The TX/RX are on their way back to Tower for a refund.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Default RE: Receivers going into failsafe when used with TM-14

So you've been flying Futaba 2.4 on the 6 channel system and now you got the 14 module and you are getting locked out? Do you think it's a defective module? It sounds like the technology was working with the 6 channle 2.4 Tx. I saw a buddy fly his 35% with the 14MZ and 2.4 module over the weekend and he didn't have any issues.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: aviti

So you've been flying Futaba 2.4 on the 6 channel system and now you got the 14 module and you are getting locked out?
Yes, that's it exactly. Yesterday, I relinked the 6 channel receiver to my 6EX and had several uneventful flights.

Do you think it's a defective module? It sounds like the technology was working with the 6 channle 2.4 Tx. I saw a buddy fly his 35% with the 14MZ and 2.4 module over the weekend and he didn't have any issues.
Judging from the fact that no one else is reporting problems, I think it is most likely a bad module. Also, when I reinstalled the Sepktrum module and switched receivers in my glider and helicopter, I became aware of another symptom. The Futaba module seemed to be drawing more current than it should. I had to recharge 2 times while setting up the 2 aircraft when I first installed it. 3 or 4 flights brought the battery indicator down to 50%. When I was reinstalling with the Spektrum module and receivers, I still had 86% remaining after both aircraft were done.

However, I am afraid that even if this is the case, and I send it to Futaba for service and the definitely find and repair a problem, I will ALWAYS have a small doubt which will take away from my flying enjoyment. I will go ahead and get a refund, watch the forums for a few months to make sure there are no other problems, and then order a replacement.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
d_wheel

Problem solved. After receiving a replacement module, I repeated all of my previous tests. 7 solid flights today with no hint of trouble.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:47 PM
tkilwein

I have over 8 hours of time on the 14mz 2.4 using the 6014 setup with no issues, just rock solid.
Glad to hear your up and running now.