Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New 12z looks like refurb

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 12z looks like refurb

Maybe it is just me being picky, but I received my "new" 12Z yesterday and felt like a kid in a candy store. I opened the box, then took out the metal case. First off, the metal case has a black rubber like streak on the backside, maybe 4" long. No big deal, as I am sure I can rub it off. Now I open the case and pull out the Rx 1st. Every single new futaba Rx I have ever bought always had a thin piece of clear plastic over the top. This Rx had none and in fact had some scratches and scuff marks on it. Finally the Tx. Mine was wrappped in a clear bag, which I took off then noticed another sticky clear piece covering the Tx screen. I peel that off and have a closer look. The TX appearence wise looks fine, but my little joystick on the right side is cocked off to the left a little and feels loose. The rest of the components in the case were fine. I charged the Tx battery and powered up the Tx. I didn't play with any of the menus, but noticed ~3minutes of time on the timer. again no big deal, right? So I am left wondering if I got a refurb Rx and Tx and whether I should try and exchange it. Would tower even let me exhange? I can deal with a coupe minor blemishes, but it leaves me wondering if the radio has been previoulsy used. for $1200, I expect a brand new item. any ideas?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Gulliver

Default RE: New 12z looks like refurb

From personal experience, Tower is very good about exchanges. Call them up and ask. You will probaboly only be out shipping costs.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:43 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 12Z and I highly suggest this for it.
http://www.rcscreenprotectors.com/in...es/Page434.htm
Old 01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
sevans16

Well, I just opened my 12Z I got for X-mas. Been waiting on the FASST module to show up. My timer started at 4mins 34 secs. I don,t know about your scratched RX? I did not even look at mine. I say enjoy it. If you got it from Tower I would think it would be new. If it came from retail store, I would wonder if it was returned. I seriously doubt it would be a refurb?? I have never heard of Futaba refurb. Most companies clearly makr refurbs. Such as plain white box "R" stamped next to serial etc....
Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably accumulated the time while the techs were testing it and making initial set-ups. Aside from the mark on the box I see nothing to whine about and even you said that should clean off.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

You may have received a returned unit. Since they will take anything back that is in re-sellable condition, you run the risk of getting a radio that someone didn't want. Tower and Omni are very good about returns even if you tell them you want an exchange because it looks like this one was used. Like Gulliver said, you might have to pay shipping costs but I would tell them to send you a call tag and let them pick up the return costs cause they should have inspected a returned item better so it comes out of the box at least looking looking factory fresh. JMO

Marty
Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 PM
sevans16

oh yeah, I forgot to mention: my joystick is kind of floppy. It doesn't really center, it does have a good feel though. It sort of clicks when I use it
Old 01-12-2008, 03:08 PM
acarter

I'm sure tower will return it, their costumer service is amazing. If I was you I would return it. If you pay that much for a radio it should be right. Even if it looked like it was new, there's no reason why you should deal with a floppy stick when you spend 1200 for a radio.

Good luck!,
Austin
Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 PM
sevans16

"floppy" it is just the design, it works fine. Just a little loose around the center. Note I talking about the programming joystick and not the control joystick
Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

They have a fix for that now you know.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:45 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

thanks guys. I decided to keep the radio as it sounds like this stuff is normal. just being too picky I guess.