Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Kraft Bicentennial Series AM/FM ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Firewalkerd1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kraft Bicentennial Series AM/FM ?????

I have a Kraft Series Bicentennial 7ch. system that is almost new in box. I need to know how to tell if it's AM or FM. No stickers. This system has 2 moduels 72.240 and 72.080 for both tx and rx. Need advice. Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
onewasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kraft Bicentennial Series AM/FM ?????

As neither of those frequencies is on the currently approved "Air" list I would allow it to remain a paper weight.

See http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/frequencies.aspx
Old 01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
bruce88123

At the very least they would require crystal changing by an approved shop. Even if FM the system may not be "narrow band" approved and require MORE work. Contact Radio South and inquire there of there people for details.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/
Old 01-14-2008, 03:59 PM
ALbert.S

The FM modules were about a 3/4 of inch higher than the top surface of the transmitter In other words they stuck up this far and had the FM on the front face The am modules were level with the Top of the case and had the freq label on the top surface
The following users liked this post:
futabaflyer (11-03-2020)
Old 01-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Mode One

I was a big proponant of Kraft Radios and did not know they offered FM radios "ever" and especially this early in the game! 1976 is really early for FM. However, it certainly could be.

Your radio was state of the art in 1976. However, what is available now, is so much better. However, it's your call and worth a try to contact Tony Stillman of Radio South to see what he says.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
silent flight

I also have one of those old radios. I had a friend who had a Kraft dealership back in those years. I acquired it from his collection after
he passed. I flew Kraft for many years and still use a couple of the 8 or so on my shelf. It IMO is worth an upgrade if you like the occasonal feel of days gone by. (How many of us old timers don't still like to remember the way it was back then.) I am also sure they offered sets in FM. We never felt the need as the AM worked just fine for us. They also sold a dual conversion RX that was in a metal case, as I have one. I have several of the Kraft catalogs from those years and could probably look up the info on the FM sets if anyone is interested.

I had a couple of mine upgraded by Pete Waters at Kraft Midwest and I think he is a real fan of Kraft. You would need to have the TX narrow banded and purchase new RX. Probably buy new batteries for the TX. I had them done shortly after narrow banding came in and cost was about $100. It would work just fine. IMHO never use a Kraft for a paper weight. Gotta love tose old Krafts
Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: silent flight

I also have one of those old radios. I had a friend who had a Kraft dealership back in those years. I acquired it from his collection after
he passed. I flew Kraft for many years and still use a couple of the 8 or so on my shelf. It IMO is worth an upgrade if you like the occasonal feel of days gone by. (How many of us old timers don't still like to remember the way it was back then.) I am also sure they offered sets in FM. We never felt the need as the AM worked just fine for us. They also sold a dual conversion RX that was in a metal case, as I have one. I have several of the Kraft catalogs from those years and could probably look up the info on the FM sets if anyone is interested.

I had a couple of mine upgraded by Pete Waters at Kraft Midwest and I think he is a real fan of Kraft. You would need to have the TX narrow banded and purchase new RX. Probably buy new batteries for the TX. I had them done shortly after narrow banding came in and cost was about $100. It would work just fine. IMHO never use a Kraft for a paper weight. Gotta love tose old Krafts
I can't believe you still have radios from when I was learning how to fly. It is great to see Ackley, Ia on RCU.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Firewalkerd1

Thanks Gang. I also flew Kraft and Proline. These were great systems in their day. I guess this system is just a collectors item.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 AM
bruce88123

I had a Kraft KP-7C back in the 70's for a while. It was stolen and never seen again.[&o]
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 PM
John H.

fm was only 6meters (53 mhz)
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: John H.

fm was only 6meters (53 mhz)
Really? That's funny because I have several sets on 72 MHz. It also used on ALL of the other RC bands in the U.S. Ya need to get your facts checked a LOT better.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 AM
John H.

fm was illegal on 72 mhz in the 70s only am was allowed
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
TFF

The radios standing up are narrow band. the ones that the modual sticks up are FM; the tall one is Synthesized with all the channels ,RX is like that too. Kraft had narrow band before it was required, but only as an option, verry expensive at the time. Because they already had the technology the AMA used kraft radios to certify narrow to the FCC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79363.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	852696  
Old 01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy that picture just gave me a flash back. Technology has come a long way.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
TFF

Servo reversing; without it, it sure is frustrating!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM
gzkpez

The Kraft 1976 had servo reversing, if the switches were added to the circuit board. It was a very good radio, nice sticks, better then then the earlier ones. Kraft was first with FM and then synth.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
landeck

I have a Kraft Bicentinial Series 76 single stick radio that was AM originally. In the late 80's, just before they closed, Kraft came out with an FM transmitter module and receiver for the Series 76. I bought one and have been using it ever since. The FM RF module sticks up about 3/4 inch above the top of the transmitter. The transmitter was certified narrow band Feb. 1991 without modification. I also had the servo reversing switchs added--you have to remove the rear cover to access them. I still use the transmitter today and have always been happy with it.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
TFF

The two Signatures have servo reversing under the name plate and rate adjustment for the duel rates. The 78 Sig also has expo. Also if it is FM on 72mhz it is narrow. that was part of the FCC certificaion so no old freqs could be FM. AM could be either way as the moduals look the same. FM on Ham freqs has black moduals.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Deadeye

What an interesting thread. Lots of knowledge to be found here for sure! Thanks guys!