Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Some basic questions on new 2.4GHZ systems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some basic questions on new 2.4GHZ systems...

Guys,
I've been out of the sport for a few years, and I'm getting back into it, and have seen all the new radio gear out there.
Anyhow, I've got a few simple questions, that I was hoping to get answered, and I would greatly appreciate it, if anyone could help.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, here goes!

1. Is "Spread Spectrum" the same thing as "2.4GHZ"???

2. If I want to buy another Futaba 9C (like I used years ago, and loved), and I want to fly the new 2.4GHZ, what specific item do I need to go with the 9C, to swap it to 2.4? Is it called a "Spread Spectrum Module" or something?

3. I read a thread the other day, where there was concern about using regular Hitec 59xx digital servos with 2.4GHZ Rx's/etc. Is this ok or a no-no?
I guess what I'm asking is this. HOW does this new 2.4 GHZ system differ as far as setup, and matching up servos, Rx's, Tx's together???
Are there certain servos, or Rx's/etc that won't work with 2.4? Are there ANY compatibility issues when switching over to 2.4Ghz????
What will change in the way I setup a plane (compatibility-wise), if I'm using a new 2.4 system, and I want to use the same old Rx, digital servos, LiIon packs, switches, regulators, etc.???? Will ANYTHING change, or will there be ANY compatibility issues with ANY of the radio equiptment?
Thanks so much for any help here guys.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Some basic questions on new 2.4GHZ systems...

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Guys,
I've been out of the sport for a few years, and I'm getting back into it, and have seen all the new radio gear out there.
Anyhow, I've got a few simple questions, that I was hoping to get answered, and I would greatly appreciate it, if anyone could help.

YES
2. If I want to buy another Futaba 9C (like I used years ago, and loved), and I want to fly the new 2.4GHZ, what specific item do I need to go with the 9C, to swap it to 2.4? Is it called a "Spread Spectrum Module" or something?
You can add http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRTU7&P=V to a basic 9C system to get 8 channels on 2.4 GHz. This is the most you can get from the 9C as it has to operate in PPM mode. Your dealer may trade some somponents for you and keep the costs lower.
3. I read a thread the other day, where there was concern about using regular Hitec 59xx digital servos with 2.4GHZ Rx's/etc. Is this ok or a no-no?
I don't know.
I guess what I'm asking is this. HOW does this new 2.4 GHZ system differ as far as setup, and matching up servos, Rx's, Tx's together???
Are there certain servos, or Rx's/etc that won't work with 2.4? Are there ANY compatibility issues when switching over to 2.4Ghz????
Virtually all servos will work with the 2.4 RX's but perhaps a few exceptions.
What will change in the way I setup a plane (compatibility-wise), if I'm using a new 2.4 system, and I want to use the same old Rx, digital servos, LiIon packs, switches, regulators, etc.???? Will ANYTHING change, or will there be ANY compatibility issues with ANY of the radio equiptment?
Shouldn't involve much more than swapping RX's and proper placement of components (RX and antenna).
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Some basic questions on new 2.4GHZ systems...

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Guys,

__________________________________________________ _____

Paul,
I've just recently returned to R/C flying after being away 25 years, and I had some of these same questions. Perhaps I can help.

--------------------------------------------------------------
No. 2.4GHz is the frequency domain on which these new radios transmit and receive. "Spread Spectrum" refers to techniques or methods by which RF generated in a particular bandwidth is deliberately spread in the frequency domain. Different radio manufacturers use different methods. For instance Futaba utilizes a different method than JR /Spektrum.
(For a detailed explanation see: cbdd.wsu.edu/kewlcontent/cdoutput/TR502/page74.htm
www.ausairpower.net/OSR-0597.html )

----------------------------------------------------------------
I also flew Futaba years ago. When I returned to the hobby a few months ago, I purchased Futaba (6EX 2.4GHz FASST). Here's my thinking.
Futaba has stood the "test of time". I bought my first Futaba in 1969. Since then many radio manufacturers have come and gone. Futaba has been an industry leader with a solid track record all of this time. Are there other good brands of radios out there? Certainly there are. You say you "loved" your 9C.
My advice is dance again with the one you loved. Buy a new one. The 9C is now available on 2.4GHz. No need to purchase an add-on RF Module.

3. I read a thread the other day, where there was concern about using regular Hitec 59xx digital servos with 2.4GHZ Rx's/etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I too have read the discussions of using various servos. Apparently most servos work OK with the 2.4GHz radios. I don't worry about it. All of my servos are new Futaba and I don't plan to get any other brands.

My Futaba 6 channel 2.4GHz FASST has performed perfectly without a single "glitch". I did extensive range-checks before flying it. It was impressive! The receiver stayed locked and solid even when the RF signal had to pass thru 4 walls of my house plus a 30 gallon aquarium filled with water and fish. It was rock solid even when the RF signal had to penetrate completely thru a wall and my van parked in the driveway.

I just purchased a new 7C FASST. Now I need to build a p[lane to put it in.
I have range checked it with my 2.4GHz cordless phone turned-on right beside it. No problem and the range is excellent, just like my 6-channel.

I hope this is helpful info.
Regards
JC