Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Who prefers heli transmitters to fly airplanes and why.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Who prefers heli transmitters to fly airplanes and why.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
sos95714

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who prefers heli transmitters to fly airplanes and why.

I’m new to the hobby and have noticed various comments regarding some folks preferring heli transmitters to fly their airplanes and since I’m in the market to purchase a radio system (Looking at the JR 9303) I thought I’d try to find out why.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Jim T
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Who prefers heli transmitters to fly airplanes and why.

I'm using a JR 9303 heli version to fly airplanes. Why? Because I had one that I bought a couple of years ago along with a new heli kit. Never did get the heli finished, but decided to use the radio for some new airplanes. I wasn't sure I liked not having a throttle rachet , so I ordered the rachet spring (like the airplane version uses) and installed it. The only thing I can point to about the heli version I like is the triple position switch on the left side that will be great to use for setting up triple rates. It's the switch that's normally used for "Idle Up" for helis. Would I buy a heli radio if I just wanted to fly airplanes, probably not.
As far as the 9303 goes I love it (either version). The only real down side for me is the fact that the timer can't be set up so it starts when the throttle is advanced. This can be done with Futaba radios and is a great convenience.
Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The programming in both style tx's is the same.

The differences are a couple of tranpositioned switches which I prefer, smooth throttle and the trainer button on the air version is replaced by a spring loaded toggle switch on the heli version. The heli version also defaults to a heli when setting up a new model.

I'd flown Futaba air versions every since I started but when I decided to go with the Spektrum version of the 2.4GHz implementation rather than Futaba's, I got a DX-7 to play with and got the heli version based on the advice of the LHS owner who uses them on his GS stuff. I'd also read other folks saying they liked the heli version mostly for the smooth throttle as it's an issue especially with some of the 3D maneuvers.

I flew the DX-7 on my glow models until my X9303 got here and then used it on my gassers. The X9303 is a heli version too and I really like the differences. As mentioned, if you decide you don't like the smooth throttle you can install the ratchet device on the X9303. The DX-7 comes with that device, but if you decide you want it for the X9303 you'll have to buy it extra from HH or an LHS.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:36 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

In order to get the smooth throttle on the airplane versions, can't you remove the ratchet mechanism?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In order to get the smooth throttle on the airplane versions, can't you remove the ratchet mechanism?
Actually, it's a spring type clip that puts pressure on the ratchet, and I wouldn't remove the spring clip, just slightly bend it so it doesn't put as much pressure on the ratchet.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Jim T

ORIGINAL: P-51B

The smooth spring still puts some pressure on the throttle to create a little drag even though it is smooth. Without the smooth spring I think the throttle stick would flop around.

Jim
Old 01-15-2008, 02:15 PM
badazzbusa

If you take the back cover off and remove the screw that operates the rachet function then just flip that piece over and reinstall the screw you get some tension on the throttle stick but it is smooth with out bumps.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Jim T

ORIGINAL: badazzbusa

If you take the back cover off and remove the screw that operates the rachet function then just flip that piece over and reinstall the screw you get some tension on the throttle stick but it is smooth with out bumps.
Boy, not me! I'd rather pay $3.99 plus $4.95 shipping and wait 2 weeks. [sm=angry.gif]

Jim
Old 01-15-2008, 04:27 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Most every plank pilot (sorry, airplane pilot) that has flown my Funtana or Yak on my heli radio has asked me how to convert thier throttle ratchet to heli style, a few of the 3d guys had me to it right then and there at the field.

And on the 9303 I really like the spring loaded switch over that push button any day.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
onewasp

Simply the "Mode" discussion with a different twist.

Whatever you like---- different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 PM
sos95714

Thanks everyone for your opinions, advice and comments on this subject. I think I’ll end up going with the heli configuration, as from what I gather the placement and kind of switches can cross over from heli to airplane use easier than using the airplane version for controling a heli. Is this the general concences? I don’t know if I’ll ever try helis, but if I do, at least I’ll be prepared. Oh, by the way, does the JR9303 remember the last model that was flown after it is turned off? I’d hate to have to get out of the heli mode every time I turned the transmitter on to fly my airplanes.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: sos95714

Oh, by the way, does the JR9303 remember the last model that was flown after it is turned off? I’d hate to have to get out of the heli mode every time I turned the transmitter on to fly my airplanes.
Yeah the tx will remember which model was loaded when you switch it off and that model will come up the next time you turn on the tx unless you switch models on power up.

The only time you'll see a heli pop up is when you go to program a new model (or you've been flying a heli...)
it'll default to a heli and you just select either an airplane or sailplane from that screen.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 AM
sos95714

Thanks Zeeb for the clarification, now I just need to start saving up...SOS
Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I also fly the Heli version, I like the smooth throttle, and the spring switch instead of the pushbutton.