RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
buy now
52.50%
buy later when bugs worked out
47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

buy Futaba 7C now or?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default buy Futaba 7C now or?

pretty simple, and as much as i hate to say it, i think Japan manufactures electronics in a "beta" testing program nowadays............i refer to this by my experience with DSLR cameras. i won't bore any of you with the specifics and links to prove what i say, but every new model DSLR camera made by Nikon or Canon have had bugs on the first runs........it was always safe to buy 6-9 months after a new model intro.
seems we are seeing the same with new radios..................
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
harphunt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: buy Futaba 7C now or?

I thought you bought already based upon your posts. In fact, didn't you buy a system not involved? Correct me if I'm wrong.

PEACE
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes i did......but i would like to see the opinions on the 7C right now..................
Old 01-22-2008, 01:36 AM
JCINTEXAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote: "it was always safe to buy 6-9 months after a new model intro."
-------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not arguing with this logic, but I've always wanted to have the "latest and greatest". I bought the 6-channel FASST back in May of '07. I think it was one of the first ones available. I bought the 7C FASST when they first started shipping from Tower. Both radios have performed flawlessly without a single glitch. The range-checks are stronger than 10 acres of onions. My radios maintain a solid RF signal lock even when the signal has to penetrate through 4 walls of my home and a 30 gallon aquarium. Even when I put the transmitter in my car and get 200 feet away, the RF lock is rock solid. Anyway like I said, I'm not arguing your point, but I think there is some unwarranted worry and anxiety out there. When I started flying R/C, everyone was on 27MHz....and I mean everyone, including everybody that had a CB radio in their car. So it could get crazy in a hurry when you were flying and somebody was saying: "Breaker 19 good buddy, there's a Smoky Bear doin a flip-flop on the superslab at mileage marker 83."
Today's R/C equipment is amazingly reliable.
Regards
JC
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JC,
i did the same when the 6EX came out, and yes, it has been a rock solid radio.........but, i did at one point have to rebind the receiver about a month and a hald after getting it.........since that rebind, it has been solid, but now that all the recent discoveries on this ZGUID has been exposed, i find myself wondering what really happened to my radio that caused me to have to rebind.
i'm sending the 6EX in for checking, but am also wondering, if the radio can be reset to 0's by simply operating the on/off switch improperly, then is it something that can happen again?
i'd call that a defect, and find it pointless to buy again when the radio has a defect like this.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM
rg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba need to get more people on this and answer their emails, at least provide the shipping info so we can return our problem modules or radios. I have both system Futabas and Spectrum and none are perfect, although I prefer Futaba and always have and I probably will buy again but being left in the dark is not helping Futaba's cause.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:09 AM
playntraffic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought one on 1/16. Hooked it up and then read about the ZGUID problems. I bought another receiver and checked out my TX with it. No problems.
I will fly with it because there is only one other FASST system at the field. I am sure Futaba will get things worked out.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rg

Futaba need to get more people on this and answer their emails, at least provide the shipping info so we can return our problem modules or radios. I have both system Futabas and Spectrum and none are perfect, although I prefer Futaba and always have and I probably will buy again but being left in the dark is not helping Futaba's cause.
This would be handled by your regional Futaba distributor. For the U.K. and Ireland, you should contact:

Ripmax
Ripmax Corner, Green St.
Enfield
London EN3 7SJ
Telephone: +44 (20) 8282-7500
Fax: +44 (20) 8282-7501

Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
3DAP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look's like Futaba has addressed it.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Assuming the 7C you are talking about is a 2.4 system, I think the answer should be obvious - you should wait a bit. I know I am, and I 've been using Futaba since 1981. [8D] They'll get the issues corrected - I just don't have time and money to beta test with my models.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 PM
JCINTEXAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DYNAMIC TESTING FOR WORRY-FREE FLYING:

Dynamic Testing goes well beyond the standard "range check" which should be regularly performed in accordance with a radio manufacturer's instructions found in the Owners Manual. Dynamic testing is conducted by creating rigorous conditions under which to test your radios.

Here are some examples:
1. Place your 2.4GHz transmitter in a location such that the RF signal must pass through physical barriers to reach the receiver. I have done this by putting the transmitter inside a room and locating the receiver in a distant room. The RF signal then must pass through 3 or 4 walls of my house. My wife moves the control sticks as I observe my receiver and servos for normal operation. I have also placed my receiver behind a 30 gallon aquarium and various other RF barriers including my car. The RF signal lock has remained rock solid. Use your imagination in creating barriers for the RF signal to penetrate.
When satisfied that your radio can do this, make the RF environment more "hostile".

2. Place an "alien" 2.4GHz emitter within 2 feet of your receiver. (2.4GHz cordless phone, cordless earphones, Baby Monitor, WiFi xmitter) With this active alien 2.4 GHz emitter close to your receiver and your transmitter still in the remote location, check to determine if you still have a solid "RF Lock" between your transmitter and receiver.
When satisfied that your radio can do this, make the RF environment more "hostile".

3. Turn off your receiver and transmitter. Leave the alien 2.4GHz emitter(s) active. Turn on your receiver while leaving your transmitter turned off. Check for harmful interference. A properly operating 2.4GHz RC receiver should reject any interference from the alien emitter(s).

4. With the alien emitter(s) still active, turn on your RC transmitter. Your receiver should quickly reacquire the signal from your transmitter and operate normally.

5. This test requires one or more additional 2.4GHz RC transmitters. Turn on the transmitter to which your receiver has been "bound". Place it in a remote location as per described above. Place a seperate 2.4GHz RC transmitter within 3 feet of your receiver and turn it on. Now turn-on the receiver. Check to determine if their is any harmful interference. Your receiver should acquire the RF signal from the transmitter to which it has been bound and should operate normally.

I have two Futaba FASST radios (6 and 7 channel). Both radios have passed all of these tests with flying colors. I have not detected a single glitch.

I hope others in this Forum will run tests such as I have described here and will keep us all informed of their results.

Regards
J.C.