Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What kind of Tx/radio will work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:47 AM
ob1coby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of Tx/radio will work?

Hello all. I'm just getting into RC and a co-worker sold me a used Trex XL with everything but the controller. It has a HiTech 72Mhz reciever with a ch46 72710 crystal. What kind of controller can I use. Will any 72Mhz controller work if I buy a ch46 crystal or do I have to buy a Hi tech. What are my options? I see some older 72Mhz controllers on eBay for cheap and that would be fine with me if it'll work. What are my options? Anyone got one? My direct email is [email protected] Thanks.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: What kind of Tx/radio will work?

I just e-mailed you with my lengthy thoughtson it. You will get many opinions on the best TX here I think.

It depends on which receiver it is specifically - If it is PCM - you will need to use HiTec Tx
If it is "shift specific" FM (PPM) - you will need to use whatever Tx is suited to that shift.

which Tx did your c-worker use?

Many new Tx's come with a receiver - buy the best you can but I suggest you stick with JR, Futaba or HiTec. Whatever you get will likely be with you for a long time.

If you can afford to do so, consider the 2.4GHz systems such as JR/Spektrum of Futaba/Fasst. I am not personally totaly convinced that these are the "Be all and End all" (Yet) but they are certainly gaining popularity and seem to be the way of the future.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:46 AM
ob1coby

Thanks for all that. I will end up going for a spectrum later, but to start with I was hoping to just get an inexpensive radio that I can learn to fly this with. How can I tell about the receiver? I'll take a closer look. Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 04:24 PM
ob1coby

Ok, So I took a very close look, (had to use a magnifying glass to see the fine print). It said its a negative shift and will accept HiTech or Fuji. Would this be a less expensive option than the new spectrum radios? Anybody got one they'd like to unload?
Thanks for all your help.