Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Corona Receivers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:37 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Corona Receivers...

Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with the Corona receivers?? Either crystal or non crystal.

Just had a bad experience with some cheap servos and don't want to repeat with a bad receiver, so please let me know what you think guys.

I did a search and came up with almost nothing on the Corona receivers...

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 01-26-2008, 10:53 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corona Receivers...

Corona receivers are pretty damned good -- possibly the best value on the market today in the 6-8ch DC FM area.

However, there are Corona receivers and their are Corona receivers.

These things are being sold under a number of different brandnames and choosing the right brand can make the difference betwen happiness and disappointment.

I buy mine from LightFlightRC and have been absolutely blown-away with the level of service they offer.

Others have bought elsewhere and received varying levels of support.

A few have bought from Chinese suppliers and found themselves out of pocket when/if something goes wrong (remember that nothing's perfect).

Do a search here for "LightflightRC" and "Vampower" to see just a couple of the better options.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:59 PM
av8tor1977

Thanks for the input. Are they ok for large gassers, such as 1/4 scale?

Thanks again,
AV8TOR
Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
av8tor1977

Me again... Once again, does anyone know if these Corona receivers are suitable for use in 1/4 scale gas powered aircraft??

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
XJet
Banned

I would *not* use any receiver that didn't have failsafe in a 1/4-scale or larger model.

If/when something goes wrong, at the very least you need a system that can automatically cut the throttle to idle so as to minimize the risk associated with such a model going out of control.

The Corona will work just fine (providing everything else is set up correctly and normal caveats in respect to gas engines are observed) but it's when things go wrong that a PCM or IPD receiver with failsafe shows its merits.

The way I see it -- a 1/4 scale gaser isn't a cheap plane anyway -- so why not spend the extra $60 and buy a PCM receiver?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 AM
av8tor1977

Then there are those that say "Don't fly PCM with a gas engine.", stating that they can mask interference problems until it is too late and control is lost.

I suppose the real answer for gas is 2.4 gb systems, Futabas problems notwithstanding.

What we need is a "smart servo" for the throttle that senses when there is no signal, or a bad signal, and goes to a fail safe position.

AV8TOR
Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
RJConnet

A few weeks back I bought on a whim the LightFlight DC FM 8 Ch Rx. Cost me about 30 bucks with crystal. It was here in a few days and I was surprised by the small size of the Rx. It was very cold outside so I plugged in a couple of servos and powered it up in the house. With the Rx antenna still tightly coiled about two inches from the Rx (not stretched out) and my Tx antenna collapsed I got a good solid 40 feet of range with absolutely no problem. I went ahead and installed it in an old .20 powered New Era, this is a small plane and it's only about 20 Inches from the Rx to the tail of the plane. I just wrapped the antenna around the Rx padding several turns and ran it inside the fuse. to the tail a straight run of about 20 inches. Took the plane to the field the next weekend and first thing I did was to find a couple of guys with adjacent channel Tx's, one above and one below, and had them fire up their Tx's right next to the plane. Not a single jitter from any of the servos. I flew the plane five times that day including some to the limit of my poor eyesight and had not a single problem. My only complaint would be that the antenna wire is very flimsy, maybe 30 or 32 gauge wire and will have to be watched carefully. Overall very happy with this Rx...[8D][8D].........RJ
Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: RJConnetMy only complaint would be that the antenna wire is very flimsy, maybe 30 or 32 gauge wire and will have to be watched carefully. Overall very happy with this Rx...[8D][8D].........RJ
Yep, I had an antenna wire break about four inches from the receiver -- but the insulation was intact so I didn't realise it.

The only clue was that the throttle was glitching once I got more than about 200 yards away.

I now replace the antenna wires as a matter of course if I'm using these receivers in glow powered planes -- otherwise the vibration tends to fracture the wire inside the plastic.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
marksindycombat

Problems with Corona RD620 Full Range Dual Conversion DSP Receivers from BP hobbies

I purchased 5 Corona RD620 Full Range Dual Conversion DSP Receivers from BP hobbies last June. They all have problems. 1 is dead, 4 have a delay issue from stick movement to control surface movement.

I have sent several e-mails to Corona and several e-mails and phone calls to BP hobbies. I had spoken to someone at BP hobbies that told me they would check with Corona and get back with me, they never did.

Finely, Tina Huang from Corona-RC e-mailed me back, here is what she said:
HI Mark ,

Yes the problem was fixed in RD620II and we have stop to produce RD620.

She also, told me to try to contact BP Hobbies to get this resolved. I sent the 5 receivers back to BP Hobbies with a copy of my e-mail string with Corona-RC.

I called BP Hobbies today, ask them if they received my receivers and wanted to know what was going to be done. I was told they would call me right back. They never did!

Has anyone else had problems with BP hobbies?

Mark
Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
XJet
Banned

That's why I buy my Corona receivers from LightFlightRC.

I've never been disappointed with their service.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 AM
jooNorway

Their synth-receivers have really poor resolution...
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM
linkadrip

I just got two Corona RP8DI Synthesized RX's. Havent tried them out yet but i'm not to impressed withthe Hair thin like Antenna wire that is on them looks very fragile. A good tug and it would break in two peices. Going to try and program it for an Optic 6 TX on channel 20. Never have used one of these before so i Hope it works.. and works good for my UCD 46..

Old 05-17-2008, 08:06 PM
linkadrip

Ok they work and are ok.. not mad about the RX's now there pretty good..
Old 09-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Curt Sidles

I'm curious about how things have been working out with your Corona RP8D1 synthesized receiver ...?

Having retired at the end of Nov. '07 (I'll be 66 the end of this month), I'm using a Polk Tracker III 8 ch. synthesized transmitter with 2 of Polk's synthesized receivers (one 6 ch. and one 8 ch.). They're great for the casual flying I enjoy, using Saito 65 and 82 4 cycle engines when I drive out to the field in Corona, and Maxford USA products for my park-flying here in Fullerton.

As my hanger has started to grow, I'd like to have another receiver. But, Polk's 6 channel is $60, versus RCHotDeals' Corona 8 ch. RP8D1 at only $40.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Curt
Old 09-20-2008, 02:36 PM
XJet
Banned

Corona's synth receivers seem to have been very hit and miss.

The early ones had problems with centering and resolution and some of the later ones have had issues with failure to lock or loss of lock.

I see now that some suppliers who previously dropped the crystal-controlled Corona receivers (which were actually pretty good) in favor of the synth have gone back to stocking the older ones - possibly due to customer demand.

Having said that, I know there are some who have had no issues with the synth receivers but I also know that there are a lot of others sitting in boxes or in drawers because they simply can't be made to work properly.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Curt Sidles

Thanks. Sounds like it would be a risk buying a Corona RP8D1 synthesized receiver.

Are there any other affordable (make that a"cheap") synthesized 72 MHz. FM receivers I should consider, other than Polk's 6 channel at $60 (and maybe RCHotDeals' Corona 8 ch. RP8D1 at only $40)?

Thanks in advance for any more feedback/guidance,
Curt

Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 PM
linkadrip

After 5 flights on my corona RX i have had to retire it. 5th flight almost lost the UCANDO from lose of signal then 2 attempts after charging i could only walk 10 feet away from the plane with my tx before loosing signal and fluters and jitters start no I have taken the corona RX out of the plane and hucked it way out into the field POS whata waste live and learn. so I bought a hitec supreme IIS and the correct crystal and now i'm hardwired to my plane no more signal searching. no more worries.
My advice is if you value the time and effort you have put into your plane spend the extra little bit and get good quality radio gear. i mean you have already spent alot on the plane and put alot into it. its better to have the reliabilty. I'm done with Corona RX'S just my 2 cents.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Curt Sidles

What a sad report about Corona's receivers. Thank you for taking time to share your experiences!

For whatever it may be worth, I am VERY pleased with my Polk Tracker III system. It's all synthesized (both the transmitter and my two receivers) and gives me rock solid performance in all of my glow and electric airplanes! So, thanks to your good advice, I'll be spending $60 instead of $40.

Best regards,
Curt
Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Curt Sidles
What a sad report about Corona's receivers. Thank you for taking time to share your experiences!
The early Corona crystal-controlled receivers were brilliant there are about a dozen of them flying in our club and none have caused any problems at all.

It was the shift to the synth and (from what I've heard) some of the later V2 crystal-controlled receivers where the problems started.

For whatever it may be worth, I am VERY pleased with my Polk Tracker III system. It's all synthesized (both the transmitter and my two receivers) and gives me rock solid performance in all of my glow and electric airplanes! So, thanks to your good advice, I'll be spending $60 instead of $40.
To be fair, Polks 6-channel synth receiver hasn't been without its own set of problems.

I have six of these and all but one have had to go back to be repaired/replaced. I think there was a bad batch at one stage (which I seem to have bought five of) but Polk's customer support was *very* good and they sorted out the issues quickly and with no cost (other than a bit of postage to send them back) to me.

The only other synth receivers I know of are the Hitec ones (more expensive than the Polk), one out of China with PPM or Futaba-PCM capabilities (about $80-$100) and the Sombra units (also more expensive).

I doubt you'll see any new synth receivers come onto the market either it's actually cheaper to make a 2.4GHz receiver than a synth PPM/PCM one these days so that's where manufacturers will be putting their efforts so as to make maximum profit.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
tina0506

Hi Everybody , Thanks for using Corona Receivers !
we have set up a inspection team to test 100% percent of goods before shipping it means you will get all goods in Good quality , and we will replace all defect Receivers if you luck enough to find defect one . (within 6 monthes shipping from Factory all replaced , over 6 monthes will repaire for free ) .

we can make sure all Crystal receivers , Syn-Receivers , 2.4Ghz Raido system , 2.4Ghz Spare Receiers all in Good quality .

Please contact with me if you get any defect RX or have any problem about Corona Products . we will do our best to We will do our best to answer you promptly!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:37 AM
skyblueblue

I just got the Corona 2.4g module and rx.

For the price, u can't really complain on the outlook. It nice really, but still have room to improve.

What disappoint me was on the installation on my Futaba 3PK. The LED never lit up. Thought i got a lemon. After some fault finding i realise the pins between the module and Tx were not contacting. I had to stuff a Credit Card on 1 side, pushing the module to make the contact. After that everything was fine.

Another thing is on the binding. Why does the binding only sense on the last rx i've binded? Its kind of troublesome to bind 10 rx at the same time you know.

Something you should look into.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 AM
tina0506

Corona is Concerning about the Quality and Aftersale service . No matter what kind of Defective receivers you got please send back to the Dealer or if you want please send back to the factory . Corona will send you more Receiver if you can find one Defective receivers that shipt by Sep ,2008 .
Old 10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
rcsammy

Tina,

I would love to use the Corona module in my Multiplex EVO 7 radio. I would have to make it custom fit in my receiver. I have attached a picture of the XPS module in the Multiplex EVO 7.

I would need 3 wire connections. Power, Ground and the Signal wire.

Would the Corona Futaba module work with 3 wire like the XPS module? I think the Corona Futaba module is smaller then the JR.

Thanks

Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64184.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1055825  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

I purchased a single conversion 6 channel rcvr(version2) with crystal about 3 weeks ago from headsup rc and have been flying it in a 3D profile electric plane with no problems whatsoever. I know that someone was asking if these rcvrs would do in a gasser, I cant answer that, but Ive been happy with mine, ... no glitches, range is as far as I can see to fly, and its lightweight also.
Just my .02,
John
Old 11-06-2008, 03:30 AM
tina0506

Sam ,

Yeah , you can use 3 Wire connections . CORONA FUTABA MODULE: pin1: signal/pin2 ,power/pin 3 or pin4 GND

Corona Futaba 2.4Ghz Module is Smaller than JR Module .
Please have a try then let me know the result .

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.