RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Modules and Receivers for 9c super

Old 01-26-2008, 07:31 PM
3DAP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Modules and Receivers for 9c super

How are the Spread Spektrum and XPS module and receiver set's working for everyone in the super? Fasst is looking like not going to be an option. I am not trying to start a war on who's is better! Just trying to gain exp for my decision!! Thank you for any positive input!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:15 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Modules and Receivers for 9c super

Just my 2 cents, but your best bet is to wait awhile until the GUID kink is fixed by Futaba and the TM-8 module is released. Other than the one plane lost due to the GUID problem (and replaced by futaba) the FASST system has proven itself to be a very solid system, arguably the best out there.
Pete
Old 01-27-2008, 04:56 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have -in our immediate are -- the FASST, The XPS and SPEKTRUM systems -and all of them seem to work as advertised -if used as instructed .
(No problems here -- really))
OK-- so - how do you sort out which is arguably the best?
For debate purposes - lets say they all work as advertised -if use as advertised.
On a feature -to feature basis?
On Price?
On adaptability to current equipment?
On size n weight?
What features really mean something to you?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:07 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well---I've had the"XPS" orginal nub antenna module since "Toledo" last year with ten RX in that many airframes & hundreds of flights---Not a single hiccup---Better price & better warranty (lifetime INCLUDING crash damage---you send in the pieces/they send you a new RX)---I'm using this in a "9c"---(yes I paid MSRP for all my "XPS" equip.)---
Old 01-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys,
I'm just getting back into flying giant scale (after taking a few years off from flying), and I will be flying a 35% Composite Arf.
Anyhow, I used to own a Futaba 9C, and flew with it for years, with total satisfaction.
I would like to now take a dive into the 2.4ghz world, and I've got a couple/few months until I'll actually need a radio system. (I won't receive my 2.6m Comp Arf for another week or so), and I would like to ask a few questions about Futaba and 2.4ghz issues:

1. Am I correct, that the only Futaba 2.4 offerings right now, are the 12FGA, and the 7C?

2. Does anyone know if Futaba will soon be coming out with a 2.4GHZ 9C or "Super 9C?" ????

3. Is the 12FGA the ONLY Futaba 2.4ghz option I have right now, IF I want a 2.4 radio setup, that has AT LEAST 9 channels, like my old 9C had????
Of course, I'm not considering the option of putting a Spektrum module into a regular 72mhz 9C. I'm really wanting a dedicated 2.4 Futaba system, with at least 9 channels like my old 9C had.
Not sure what the difference between a 12FGA and a 9C is, but I'd really just LOVE to have a 2.4ghz 9C, since I'm so accustomed to using a 9C.
Thanks for any help guys.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:32 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been using the XPS modules and receivers in Hitec Eclipses ..no problems. I have since purchased a 9C and continue with no problems with the module and receivers. I also paid MSRP or good used prices for all my stuff!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:08 AM
bgold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm flying a 9C with a Futaba 7 channel Tx module, TM7, and a 7 channel rx, 607 on a 35 % Yak. I used a Smart-Fly EQ10 Power Expander. That gives me the ability to control all 9 servos and individually match/program each servo or pair of servos and I still get to use all the 9C programing and features. System is working good. I'm not worried about the zguid problem, my transmiter will not control a never been bound receiver and unless I loose my link and need to rebind I'm not worried about it. I did buy a new, never been linked receiver to check my Tx against.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Dick,
For myself, a major consideration in a module is the antenna arrangement, as I would be switching back and forth on a regular basis for the foreseeable future. In this situation, if you have a 9C Tx, the FASST module has an advantage. I like the integrated antenna on the module, just keep the antenna to either side at 90dg. and you're go to go, to fly or store in the case.
Regards,
Pete
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Paul, you could have a dedicated 2.4 ghz radio. Just buy another 9c and the 2.4 ghz module and use it just for 2.4 stuff, and your other 9c for the 72 mhz stuff.

I agree, they really need a 9c type transmitter that is 2.4 ghz out of the box without relying on modules. The MAIN reason I haven't gone this route is that I don't like the antenna attached to the module.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Jim T

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Paul Cataldo

Guys,
I'm just getting back into flying giant scale (after taking a few years off from flying), and I will be flying a 35% Composite Arf.
Anyhow, I used to own a Futaba 9C, and flew with it for years, with total satisfaction.
I would like to now take a dive into the 2.4ghz world, and I've got a couple/few months until I'll actually need a radio system. (I won't receive my 2.6m Comp Arf for another week or so), and I would like to ask a few questions about Futaba and 2.4ghz issues:

1. Am I correct, that the only Futaba 2.4 offerings right now, are the 12FGA, and the 7C?

2. Does anyone know if Futaba will soon be coming out with a 2.4GHZ 9C or "Super 9C?" ????

3. Is the 12FGA the ONLY Futaba 2.4ghz option I have right now, IF I want a 2.4 radio setup, that has AT LEAST 9 channels, like my old 9C had????
Of course, I'm not considering the option of putting a Spektrum module into a regular 72mhz 9C. I'm really wanting a dedicated 2.4 Futaba system, with at least 9 channels like my old 9C had.
Not sure what the difference between a 12FGA and a 9C is, but I'd really just LOVE to have a 2.4ghz 9C, since I'm so accustomed to using a 9C.
Thanks for any help guys.
Have you considered the JR 9303 which is available in a dedicated 2.4 system right now? Also, I would sure think Futaba will be coming out with a dedicated 2.4 version of their ever popular 9C system. Right now is seems like they have quite a hole in their line of dedicated 2.4 radios.

Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,
The 14MZ, 12Z and 12FG are all native FASST systems when used with the TM-14 module, just not dedicated, in that price range a "dedicated" transmitter is a questionable investment, unless you're sure that todays 2.4Ghz SS format will remain the standard for a long time.
The yet to be released JR 12 channel has been announced that it will be available in a modular version and a dedicated version, not a bad idea since JR may eventually go with a FHSS system.
Pete
Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Jim T

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Jim,
The 14MZ, 12Z and 12FG are all native FASST systems when used with the TM-14 module, just not dedicated, in that price range a "dedicated" transmitter is a questionable investment, unless you're sure that todays 2.4Ghz SS format will remain the standard for a long time.
The yet to be released JR 12 channel has been announced that it will be available in a modular version and a dedicated version, not a bad idea since JR may eventually go with a FHSS system.
Pete
Good points, Pete. Right now I've got a JR 9303 with the Spektrum 2.4 module. I've got 2 planes set up with 2.4 receivers and am just finishing up my Bruce Tharpe Flyin King using the original 72 MHZ PCM receiver that came with the radio. I'm finding it's not all that hard to switch back and forth. It would actually be even easier with the 9C with the antenna right on the module. Also, I've been noticing that there's lots of 72 mhz receivers showing up on E-bay for little money. The downside of my system as opposed to the dedicated system is I don't have model match, servo sync, and I think there's a speed issue in certain cases.

Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Jim,
Best of luck with the Flying King, Bruce Tharpe knows how to design great flying planes, I had the pleasure of meeting him here on the East Coast at the WRAM show, back when he introduced the venture 60. I see he has discontinued production of the Venture 60, I hope he has something in the works to replace it.
OK, back on topic
It's interesting that with Futaba FASST conversion modules for the older transmitters, they have sorta implemented servo matching by changing the channel order in the newer version of the seven channel receiver, so that channels that are used for dual ailerons and elevators are sequential at the receiver, not sure if there is much difference in servo matching, but I'm sure there are some radio "geeks" out there that will be testing. I'm more interested in flying than testing
Regards,
Pete
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Difference in the "percieved" speed or reaction time is in the order of milli-seconds. If you really think you can detect something that occurs in a fraction of the time it takes to blink your eyes, well welcome Mr Superhuman.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Paul Cataldo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys,
What's the deal with some people not liking the antenna protruding out of the module.
Can someone point me to a picture that shows this? I'm new to this, and I cannot picture what exactly this would be like??? IF I were to buy a regular Futaba 9C/Super 9C, and then put either a Spektrum module OR a Futaba FASST module in the TX, WHAT would change???? (both physically, and functionally)??
Is the setup of my giant scale planes STILL going to remain EXACTLY the same as before????
Thanks guys. BTW, I'm not trying to ask loaded questions, but I'm just trying to determine the difference between my previous 1024 PCM setup with my Futaba 9C on giant scale planes, and a new setup, with a Futaba 9C and Spektrum or FASST Module????
Thanks.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One issue of Txs & modules that I have not seen discussed anywhere is what will be offered in 4-5 years from now by the major manufacturers?

The way it affects me is - I currently have a Futaba 9ZWC2 and a 9C Super. I buy Futaba Tx modules & Futaba receivers. Somewhere down the road I will want a new Tx. At that point in time, what will Futaba be selling - modular Txs that will still accept someone else's modules - or Txs that are 2.4 FAAST only. If I make the decision today to stick with Futaba FAAST, then I can upgrade to a new Tx even if the only offerings are FAAST only. I can continue to use my matching receivers.

My other option would be to buy a Spectrum module for the Tx and the corresponding Rxs. Now, 5 years later, I want a new Tx. And Futaba only sells FAAST Txs. Now what?

I wish I had a crystal ball - I sure don't want to spend $ now and find out I have to buy everything new in 5 years. The way it has been up to now is you can evolve if you stick with one Mfg - mix and match as we can do now and where do you end up.

Dan
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Jim T

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCPilot100

One issue of Txs & modules that I have not seen discussed anywhere is what will be offered in 4-5 years from now by the major manufacturers?

The way it affects me is - I currently have a Futaba 9ZWC2 and a 9C Super. I buy Futaba Tx modules & Futaba receivers. Somewhere down the road I will want a new Tx. At that point in time, what will Futaba be selling - modular Txs that will still accept someone else's modules - or Txs that are 2.4 FAAST only. If I make the decision today to stick with Futaba FAAST, then I can upgrade to a new Tx even if the only offerings are FAAST only. I can continue to use my matching receivers.

My other option would be to buy a Spectrum module for the Tx and the corresponding Rxs. Now, 5 years later, I want a new Tx. And Futaba only sells FAAST Txs. Now what?

I wish I had a crystal ball - I sure don't want to spend $ now and find out I have to buy everything new in 5 years. The way it has been up to now is you can evolve if you stick with one Mfg - mix and match as we can do now and where do you end up.

Dan
Along those lines, I wonder if maybe RC electronics is going to get more like other consumer electronics. By this I mean a person doesn't expect their cell phone, DVD player, computer, etc. to still be working with the technology that will be available 5 years from now. Just a thought.

Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 PM
3DAP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tande,

Thank you for your reply on xps in the 9c super, Hopefully I can get more input of people who actually have a xps or spektrum module in their 9c and have flight exp to offer. Pretty sure that is what this thread is about? Thankx

3DAP
Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Jim T

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 3DAP

Tande,

Thank you for your reply on xps in the 9c super, Hopefully I can get more input of people who actually have a xps or spektrum module in their 9c and have flight exp to offer. Pretty sure that is what this thread is about? Thankx

3DAP
Well 3DAP, like most threads, this one sort of took on a life of it's own. Sorry for cluttering up your thread.

Jim
Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 AM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a picture of the module.

I primarily race airplanes, and a standard race procedure is to lay the transmitter on its back on the hot tarmac runway. I just don't like the thought of laying my transmitter on its back (on the antenna) over and over again on the hot tarmac.

I will buy a 9c when it comes out in a dedicated 2.4 version with the antenna on top where it belongs.

Yes, I could change my routine, but I have 2 other 72mhz radios and won't be completely shifting to 2.4 for a few years. Having two sets of procedures is not my preferance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20526.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	864456  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Paul Cataldo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys,
With all this new 2.4 technology being applied to R/C, I have been reading all I can to get up to date on the subject. I still consider myself an electrical novice to say the least.
However, I do have one question, which may sound ignorant (and probably is), but I just have to ask.
I have read numerous times, that this 2.4ghz technology, is actually OLD technology, that has been used in cordless residential phones for years in peoples houses.
SO, the question arose in my head. - "What about the RF interference I've experienced while talking on a cordless phone in my house????"
I can remember numerous times that I've been talking on a cordless phone, and I've overheard the next door neighbors phone conversation. This is obviously some type of interference/lines crossing/etc. Right?
Does this mean that 2.4ghz could obtain interference more easily than we think, or is there some logical explanation for this, which only pertains to cordless phones, and not R/C????
Does this mean that a 2.4ghz R/C system really could take on interference thus crashing your plane????
Does this 2.4ghz cordless phone interference issue apply to the world of 2.4ghz R/C????
Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,
Pete
How can you say a module based system is "native"? Especiallly when you quote two that have been on the market in 72mhz for a couple years.

Just curious.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very simple, while they have been on the market awhile, they were designed as "native" FASST radios from the ground up, only a user applied software update is needed to enable them to use the TM-14 module, which uses the 2048 resolution stream from the radio, it does not have to convert from PPM in the module.
Where they planning on eventually going with the FASST platform when the 14MZ was designed, beats me
The soon to be released JR 12 channel is supposed to be available in a modular design and also a dedicated version, the modular version I'm sure will be "native" DSM2 and provide all the same benefits of the dedicated version, just with the flexibility of being able to be used on other bands than 2.4Ghz.
Pete
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe "native" systems process the signal directly to 2.4 packets rather than to PPM and then converting the PPM to 2.4 packets.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim,
Pete
In that FHSS is not propriatory with Futaba - I guess others will /can/ maybe , use it
But where did you get this "may eventually" story.
Is there any basis in fact for your conjecture?
Or is it wry humor?
Frankly I don't care how it's done - as I see all my friend's radios Futaba /JR XPS all working very well.-

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service