Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12FG setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I & C Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 12FG setup

Can anyone explain Conditions vs. Dual Rates? What does AFR stand for? Group vs. Single? I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Futaba 12FG setup

dual rates are just that... dual rates for different surfaces... Conditions are entire new set ups...
meaning basically an entire new set of rates, trims if wanted, etc. etc. with the flip of a switch

AFR is the screen to set up your dual (or triple) rates and your Expo settings...

group basically carries whatever setting you are working on over to other conditions,
Single just keeps whatever setting you are working on with that one condition or setup
Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I & C Tech

OK. It's a little clearer now. This is certainly something that you have to experiment with to figure out. How 'bout AFR? Do you know what it stands for?

Wade
Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

What I have done with "CONDITIONS" is a s follows. I set up my plane for normal conditions. Then I copy "NORMAL" to "CONDITION1" and assign a switch to make the change.
Then I go into "CONDITION1" and make changes. This way I can set each control surface to what I'd like for high-rates. You could make "CONDITION2" for slow rolls. You can even change the condition name to "SLOWROLLS". In this condition you could set the aileron throw very slow, making slow rolls easier.

That's how I have set up some of my planes. I haven't had a chance to try it in the air yet because of weather. I have had my 12FG for just a short time.

Hope this helps,
Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You use AFR "function rate" to set high throws. AFR is like ATV but it will adjust every servo that is connected to that Function, ie dual elevator servos or wing servos. If you are using conditions, each condition can give you different rates. You use AFR single to have a different rate in different conditions, You use AFR group to have the same rate in all the condtions.

It is common to have a condition set up for snap rolls, rolling circles, stall turns. So with a single flip of a switch or stick movement you will have the throws and mixes that you want.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still stumped by AFR!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
pattratt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: c550

I'm still stumped by AFR!
"End Point" screen sets up the actual mechanical full throw than can be obtained without stalling the servo. You do not have to set end point to MAX but you want to make sure that you do not exceed the mechanical limit of a function so as to not stall a servo. AFR stands for "Adjustable Function Rate" this means you adjust each function to the "ACTUAL" full rate that you would ever want to fly with! You then adjust your dual and triple rates for various manauvers you intend to fly with.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
I & C Tech

If you set up End Points to be the max throw you could ever use or safely deflect any servo, why can you go over 100% on the AFR page? You can go all the way to 200%. This puzzles me.

Other than that, all of these explanations are much appreciated and are helping this all gel together in my brain.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
RadarController
My Feedback: (2)

Does the 12FG have servo speed options? ie. If I want to have Flaps that move slowly for scale appearance during transition after flipping a designated switch... Possible? The manual talks about servo speed, but is very vague. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 AM
d_wheel

Yes.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I & C Tech

You can set servo speeds but in addition, you can set directional speeds in Conditions. In other words, if you wanted Flaps to deploy slowly but retract quickly, you could accomplish this by setting up a condition for it.

I think.

Hey, any takers on this one?
"If you set up End Points to be the max throw you could ever use or safely deflect any servo, why can you go over 100% on the AFR page? You can go all the way to 200%. This puzzles me."

Wade
Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You cannot exceed the amount of control function movement you set in the "limit" section of the End Points menu. "Travel" is the amount of movement you want to have commanded when you move a control from the center to one extreme. In some cases, you may have the travel set to a low number, but have the limits set high. When you go into the AFR section, you can then adjust the endpoints for the FUNCTION to over 100%. The End Point section in the Linkage Menu will set the endpoints of each channel. If you have multiple channels operating a function, then the AFR setting will adjust the amount of movment ALL of the channels using that function.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 PM
I & C Tech

Thanks for chiming in here Bill. It occurs to me that one would just normally set the Travel values for the most he would ever want that control surface to move. Then lower those using the AFR and Dual Rate functions. If this is how it would normally be done, then wouldn't you also set the Limit values to the same amount. I see it this way because I think of the Linkage menu to be where I would be setting up my servo arms and such, then adjusting my throws for the maximum I can achieve without binding anything. From there I would set my rates and such. Is that OK or am I missing out on something doing it this way?

Thanks,
Wade
Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Bax

"Limit" is usually set higher than "Travel" because of mixers. For example, you want a V-tail to be able to put in full rudder, but if you need that rudder with elevator, one servo will still have to move more. That's when it moves more than the "Travel" amount, but less than the "Limit" amount. "Limit" is used to prevent driving the servo against its stops.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I & C Tech

OK. That clears it up somewhat. So on the AFR screen, what parameter are the Rate A and Rate B values referring to? Limit? Travel? Something else?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Bax

Rate A and Rate B refer to Travel. The transmitter will not allow a channel to exceed its Limit setting, no matter how that channel's been set in AFR or in mixers.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I & C Tech

Thanks Bill!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
d_wheel

Has anyone here tried to use the model data utility program to swap model data with someone else on the internet? This is a great feature with the 14MZ but I haven't seen any resources with model data available for the 12FG.

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM
J.Paul Saure

ORIGINAL: I & C Tech

OK. That clears it up somewhat. So on the AFR screen, what parameter are the Rate A and Rate B values referring to? Limit? Travel? Something else?

That's different values for left/right, up/down, low/high side.
Change one and look at the curve on the display, you'll get it.

Saludos,
Paul
Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I & C Tech

Thanks Paul. Bax had already cleared it up for me by explaining that the Rate numbers are a percentage of the Travel value found on the End Point page.