Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum Range

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Range

I'm running a Spektrum Module in a M8 TX. I have 2 SR3000 RX's, 1 in a nitro trk, 1 in an electric. They bind and work perfectly in the shop. I take them out to run and I get about 75 feet of range and then I'm done. Both rx's have the stipulated 3.6 inch ant length if you shorten them. Again, 1 TX, 2 rx's .. identical prob. Any thots. Thanx
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum Range

ORIGINAL: nomobux

Both rx's have the stipulated 3.6 inch ant length if you shorten them.
Are you saying that you have ALTERED the antennas on the Rx's?? In what way and WHY?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
nomobux

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

ORIGINAL: nomobux

Both rx's have the stipulated 3.6 inch ant length if you shorten them.
Are you saying that you have ALTERED the antennas on the Rx's?? In what way and WHY?
Spektrum states that for convenience of mounting or location that you can shorten the ant wire from 8.5 to 3.6 inches
Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
bruce88123

Yeah I see that now on pg 8
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...structions.pdf

Have you checked the range with an un-modified RX? Manual says you should get 3000 feet.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
nomobux

Yeah I see that now on pg 8
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...structions.pdf

Have you checked the range with an un-modified RX? Manual says you should get 3000 feet.
No, I have not. I'm lost. Everything is perfect for 75 feet or so. They bind and the failsafe mode kicks in with the tx off and rx on as it is intended. Horizon stated the ant would be in tune at the orig 8.5" OR 3.6".
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 PM
bruce88123

Kinda at a loss here. Things to try if you can:
1. find another unmodified (or even different modified Rx) and after binding to it see what your range is.
2. Try a different TX with your cars.
3. be absolutely sure your batteries are at full strength.
4. be sure you are not in a range test mode.
5. your Tx antenna should be at 90 degrees to the line to the Rx.
6. be sure TX is in correct modulations mode. Probably wouldn't work at all if not, to be honest.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 AM
nomobux

Kinda at a loss here. Things to try if you can:
1. find another unmodified (or even different modified Rx) and after binding to it see what your range is.
2. Try a different TX with your cars.
3. be absolutely sure your batteries are at full strength.
4. be sure you are not in a range test mode.
5. your Tx antenna should be at 90 degrees to the line to the Rx.
6. be sure TX is in correct modulations mode. Probably wouldn't work at all if not, to be honest.
1. I may have one
2. I have a DX 2 I can try
3. I did and they are.
4. Does a M8 have one ? All these buttons and options, it may be hid in there somewhere ... lol
5. It is
6. Don't know if it's selectable, but I think your right.
I'll try 1 & 2 and see what happens today and get back .... thanx
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM
bruce88123

4. Does a M8 have one ? All these buttons and options, it may be hid in there somewhere ... lol

Read all available manuals on system and modules.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Minibichus
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, your range readings match the same readings I am getting. I have three 1/10 cars, 2 electrics and 1 nitro, all go about 100 feet before the Spektrum dies. As for the stated 3000 ft range that should be framed as B.S. since the total power output of the surface based Spektrum DSSS system is close to the power of a narrowband transmitter with ~60-80 milliwatts in 2.4 GHz. The transmitter actual power is only 10mW but since it uses DSSS you need to look at their power density.
In contrast, the DX7 is a DSM2 full range transmitter and it has a power output of 128 mW, but their power density is closer to a 650 mW narrowband transmitter. Thats why they call the DX7 a full range radio, because it has ~10 times more power than their surface systems.

Cheers.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 PM
nomobux

ORIGINAL: Minibichus

Yep, your range readings match the same readings I am getting. I have three 1/10 cars, 2 electrics and 1 nitro, all go about 100 feet before the Spektrum dies. As for the stated 3000 ft range that should be framed as B.S. since the total power output of the surface based Spektrum DSSS system is close to the power of a narrowband transmitter with ~60-80 milliwatts in 2.4 GHz. The transmitter actual power is only 10mW but since it uses DSSS you need to look at their power density.
In contrast, the DX7 is a DSM2 full range transmitter and it has a power output of 128 mW, but their power density is closer to a 650 mW narrowband transmitter. Thats why they call the DX7 a full range radio, because it has ~10 times more power than their surface systems.

Cheers.
Well , I can't respond to that as I'm not really up on the new systems. However, as stated above, I decided to try the DX2 with the same RX. I drove it until I could not see what I was doing. I re-binded ( sp ) the M8 and back to 70 feet. I take it that I have a bad TX Spektrum module ............. or is something wrong with the M8 .... It binds, works perfectly until 70 feet ......... ?????????????????