RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Are you using Extremelink (XPS) and why

Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Are you using Extremelink (XPS) and why

This is not a poll. I have converted to XPS on a Multiplex and would simply like to know the depth of XPS users out there. Tell me why or why you do not use XPS. There system offer several advantages, but they are not relevant to why I chose it. Just to satisify peoples urge to know, I use it because XPS has offered an easy upgrade path to 2.4 technology on a Profi mc4000.

Warms Regards,

Travis
Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 PM
ChuckA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Are you using Extremelink (XPS) and why

Nobody else seems interested in supporting the Evo and I refuse to go back to the asian plastic porcupines with VCR style programming.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have an Optic6 and like it so went with XPS, and glad I did.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 AM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an evo and wanted to convert also! But, there have been crashes/loss of control at our field with people using xps. On the other site (rcgroups) there is a thread going there concerning xps. There are people there that claim they have tested this system and cannot get it to switch frequencies "on the fly" like the manufacturer claims...I think i believe them !

I don't want to give up the evo so i'm sticking with fm for now !!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like this is a "support group", a 2.4 support group...

I'm in the same boat - I've got an EVO 12 that I REALLY like, but am not at all convinced about the XPS, at least not in a jet - too many lost so far. Their conversion package looks VERY clean, though - got to give them that much.

Let us know how the Profi conversion comes out because our only options in the forseeable future are: 1) stay with FM or 2) convert to XPS as Multiplex/Hitec isn't anywhere close to a solution and APPEAR to only be evaluating the situation now. Don't know for sure if they are engineering anything yet, but I wish they would.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am using the Graupner IFS system wich is the XtremeLink system in al but name, the reason for going this route is convenience of the one only Rx and the small aerial, the Futaba aerial is just plain silly to get into a plane and not only that they have programming issues at the moment, on another thread they had four jets flying together on the XPS system so I don't think there is much wrong with it, you will always get the scare mongers gathering on anything new, we even had one silly old duffer who asked at a club meeting if we where going to allow 2.4Ghz to operate at our club field, he had not noticed I had been using a Spektrum for four months.

Mike
Old 01-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Gulliver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im concerned that with XPS when I need additional receavers a couple of years down the road, they won't be in business.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's why I bought all the receivers I need to fill up my tx memory. If I change radios down the road and XPS is gone I'll just buy a different brand radio.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gulliver

Im concerned that with XPS when I need additional receavers a couple of years down the road, they won't be in business.
What makes you think they may be out of business in a few years?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Pilot232

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My thanks to all who have replied.

Warm Regards,

Travis
Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
CWLWL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am now shifting my DX6/7 to xps modules on my EVO12, and p4000 . why? got used the way it programmes...I also ordered one called 'universal set module" ,hopefully to be matched to some of my antique KRAFTs.--waiting for the replies from xps.
But besides xps, my next 2,4g radio would be a SANWA RDS8000 sets, I was sold by their consistency performance of their S.C rxs which are much 'rf noise immuned' than 'futaba's........

David
Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When you switch your EVO fix that small coax so that it don't get trapped between the back and the charging jack and pinched.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM
JohnMac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look Here: http://www.acteurope.de/html/-s3d-system_2_4ghz-.html
You will need babble fish to translate but you can get the gist. It is the Nurnberg fair next week and I understand that they were aiming at launching the system there. Watch this space. I will certainly be getting one for my 4000. A mate got an XPS system for his MPX and it does not work well enough for him to trust it on a foamy glider! Nuff said.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM
atvracer
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i got my sets for my helis 4 and my gassers 6 planes for peace of mind but never have the nerve to try it in one of my high $$ machines [] but I do In my foamy and never have a glitch but more i read and learn about these crashes the more i wonder if it’s more user error low voltage bad setup or ?? Also what the ratio 10000 to 1 or is it more like 10 to 1 someone will crash from a defective, interference or bad firmware XPS system?

atv
Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
DavKhy
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see the XPS bashers are on this thread also. I would like to give my report on XPS experience at my flying field in New Orleans. We have 6 flyers on XPS, two 8 channel receivers in helis, one system in giant scale YAK, another two other 8 channel receivers in assorted gas planes, and several 6 channel receivers one in an 45" extra 300 and one in the new eflight Taylorcraft. More 6 channel receivers in planes like the Mss 2 from Hobby Lobby. I was the first with XPS and everyone was interested due to the price and the fact that you can change some settings using the XDP from your computer......I dont think there is a major that offers that yet. Anyway I have made sure that the system are installed correctly. That is no wires hanging free to move, receiver mounted high, range check as stated in the XPS manual. No body I mean no body has had anything any where close to any lock out, loss of control, or anything other than 100% locked on control...Im not a XPS rah rah person but I do suspect that most of the so called XPS problems are more of the system not being installed correctly, or not range checked by the book......well everyone at our field is happy with the systems and appreciate it that we now have a reliable trouble free system on 2.4. One last thing, how many airplanes were crashed on 72mhz due to "radio trouble" when the problem was actually something else that could not be found........
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I lost using xps...
Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

I lost using xps...
lost what?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:02 AM
jonkoppisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Jet..
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 AM
jonkoppisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW, just got the bill from carlos for the repair of my turbine... Get ready!!!! $1400 and I still have to buy new solenoids for it so there's another $150.... That doesn't include the jet...
Old 02-05-2008, 08:01 PM
jonkoppisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Evidently only positive experiences only are allowed on this thread although the thread is titled "Are you using Extremelink (XPS) and why"

Meaning, Are you or are you not using xps??? If so why, if not why....

It should be renamed... Are you using xps, positive experiences only...

I know, I know... Removed because "Reason: Off thread topic. This thread is asking if people are using the XPS and why....
"
Old 02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Pilot232

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jon,

I am the thread starter. I most certainly did not ask for positive experiences only. I am looking for any experiences, positive or negative. Having read all your posts in the XPS forum on RCGroups, I can say with certainty that I know your feelings. However, you let your feelings show badly. If you have something to say, negative or positive, please do so. But do not accuse me of asking for only positive statements. The second sentence reads: Tell me why or why you do not use XPS.

Warm Regards,

Travis
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 AM
jonkoppisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Travis,
It wasn't you that I was pointing that response at. It was a mod that removed my posts for that reason... What you said is exactly what I told him, but I see that my posts were never re-instated. I have to wonder if it's more editing by the 'fanboys'?

Yes, I am very unhappy with what happened. Especially with some of the 'exaggerations' that we are finding out about the xps features + the cx service, lol. As I said in another thread, I felt a 'hit' or whatever, turned the jet to make an approach to the runway for landing. Lost all control and saw the jet hurtling toward the south end of the pits where a lot of my friends were standing... #1 is OMG it's going into the pitts and then #2 I just lost everything... Then with the response about the cause and the denying that there's no way it could have been a problem with the xps... If it's so sensitive to voltage, where the leads are run, where the receiver is positioned in the cockpit etc, (even though all of those were checked and cleared) then maybe it shouldn't have been released quite yet. If all that doesn't make you mad then I don't know what would...
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 PM
jonkoppisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You may want to check this thread just started. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...76#post9094981 The xps was tested with professional equipment for hopping if there was a sudden and/or a slow rise in interference... It failed!!!! The person testing lost his plane in the same manner as my jet...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine worked until I changed the plane to a gasser. Lost the plane.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 AM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I am using the Graupner IFS system wich is the XtremeLink system in al but name, the reason for going this route is convenience of the one only Rx and the small aerial, the Futaba aerial is just plain silly to get into a plane and not only that they have programming issues at the moment, on another thread they had four jets flying together on the XPS system so I don't think there is much wrong with it, you will always get the scare mongers gathering on anything new, we even had one silly old duffer who asked at a club meeting if we where going to allow 2.4Ghz to operate at our club field, he had not noticed I had been using a Spektrum for four months.

Mike

About face: I have all sorts of interferance problems with the system, slow responce, then no responce for a few seconds then it all comes back and starts again, this system seems to be as prone to interferance as PPM at my field, thats why no one uses PPM at my field, we are on marsh land which has telecommunications crossing it between Kent and Essex, the interferance always seems to be in the same place, and this is where I got the problem with the XPS, just managed to save the plane.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service