RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Sell me a 12fg/12z/or 14mz

Old 02-01-2008, 01:07 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sell me a 12fg/12z/or 14mz

OK radio gurus, here is the story.

I currently fly with a couple Hitec radios that are now about 15 years old. Its time to update to some modern programming features and 2.4! Hitec has pretty much decided to keep quiet about anything they have coming out, so I have been looking around.

I am considering the Royal evo with the xtremlink aftermarket setup, but I am undecided on that.

My other choice(s) has been narrowed to the Futaba lineup. One of the things I like about their set up is the removable data card setup...so easy yet they seem to be the only ones doing it. I also think the true frequency hopping set up seems more robust (yeah, I know about the FUBAR with the 6 & 7 channel systems) in the long run than the other systems.

Basically I know nothing about these three systems other than what I have been reading on RCU. In what I have read so far, it seems that 12Z is preferred to the 12fg.

What I am looking for is people's input on which of the three systems is the best or the best bang for the buck, either one. I would love to have the 14mz, cause more channels is always good for scale planes, and the easily removable switches like the old Multiplex had is good also, but...an extra $K for 2 more channels seems pretty dang steep unless other features justify it.

So tell me why I should get whichever of the three systems, the good the bad the ugly...is the 14mz worth it etc...but no brand wars please. I'd like to use this thread as head to head comparison of the three.

As always, thanks for the help!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sell me a 12fg/12z/or 14mz

12FG has the same 14 channels (12 proportional, 2 on/off) than 12Z/14MZ when used in G3/2.4Ghz mode
Just got the 12FGA myself. Could not find a good enough reason to spend $400 extra for the 12z. The only significant diference is that the 12Z/14MZ support the gizmo that convert one proportional channel to 8 ones.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
jtsails
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm a 12z user and think that it is the best value of the three, although I don't know as much about the fg. The 14 is the best of the three if you remove price considerations. The 12z also has the same number of channels as the 14, they both have 12 proportional and 2 digital (on/off). The only difference I have found are the color, touch screen, the capability to play music files, and the mixer memory function. The touch screen would be nice, especially when setting up models, and I would like to have the mixer memory, but those two things are not worth the cost to me.
james
Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you pretty much nailed the core issue -- are two more channels worth a kilobuck? I think the answer is: "no it's not." That leaves the choice to the 12z or 12FG...

Here is why I bought the 12z over the 12FG:
[ul][*] LiIon battery -- I am tired of touchy/fussy NiMH batteries...[*] Supports two MPDX-1 8 channel decoders. You can use these with the R5114DPS G3 or the R5014FS FASST receivers for a total of 28 channels.[*] Better gimbals -- heli and plane throttles ratchets are built in. You can adjust these w/out removing the back of the transmitter.[*] Includes a transmitter case. I am able to put my 12z in it's case w/out removing the TM-14 module after removing one small piece of foam...[*] I prefer using compact flash over SD. I already own many CF cards...
[/ul]
Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM
P-51B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok time to show my stupidity once again...Mixer Memory?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 PM
P-51B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Galen, Thanks.

Good list of things that peak my interest.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I sold an Evo to get the 12FG. The Evo can be quite flexible but if you don't grasp it's programming methodolgy, forget it.

I have found the FG be quite powerful, yet easier to program than the EVO for me. You can switch the channel assignments (the port the servo plugs into on the receiver) around much like the EVO, which is something I like.

The 12Z has better gimbals according to the manufacturer, but I couldn't tell the defference.

My personal opinion is I like the 12FG layout and feel better than the 12Z or 14MZ.

I did make a Li-ion two cell pack for my 12FG. Of course, you can't charge thru the normal plug, but I just pop open the back unplug the battery from the transmitter and charge it right there. If li-ion is important to you, you can do it.

SD cards are more prevelant in use today in laptops, etc. if that matters.

The difference between the three is mostly money.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
sfsjkid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For me the 14MZ was out mainly due to the price, but it also felt too heavy, and in my opinion the touch screen not robust enough for a oily/dusty environment and readability outdoors. The mp3 feature would have been nice to have though. The difference between the 12z/fg wasn't as clear cut for me though. Reasons I went with the 12z was the higher res LCD screen (no problems with the fg mind you but one reason I was upgrading from the 9z was due some readability problems), ablillity to use those MPDX thingies and feel of the overall unit. The lack of a case, ability to change switches (albiet limited), misc wiring accessories and lithium battery further swayed my decision to the 12z.

In any case, I think it is hard to screw up with any of them.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:11 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll add that I was very pleasantly surprised by the weight of my 12z. It is much lighter than my 9z and I really appreciate that. I don't know how much a 12FG weighs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it weighs a bit more than a 12z simply because of the NiMH battery...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
jtsails

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

P-51b,
the mixer memory feature is rather hard to describe but I'll give it a shot. When you are setting up program mixes on an aerobatic plane for knife-edges, you usually need a mix for rudder to elevator and rudder to aileron to correct for pitch coupling and roll coupling. On most radios this is a time consuming trial and error process and most people just use a linear mix (ie, 6% elevator to rudder). With the 14mz you fly the plane in a knife edge and hold correction with the sticks, then have a buddy hit a button and the radio automatically sets the mixes up. Also, you can do it multiple times at different speeds and it sets a custom curve mix using the correct amount of mix at each point in the rudder throw. I don't have a 14 and I don't know how well it actually works but it's a really neat concept.
I'll also point out again that the 12z and the 14mz actually have the same number of channels, 12 proportional and 2 digital.
James
Old 02-01-2008, 06:31 PM
tkilwein

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the 14MZ and the 2.4 modules also.
I like the easy of setting up a new model and tweaking here and there.
The touch screen is so nice for inputting, everything goes quick and easy.
The mixing is what I am starting to get into and it is easy with the touch screen and menus.

I look way down the road for usage, so the cost verses ease of use over several years is worth it for me.

My 9ZHPS I bought new in 94 is still going strong but lacks channels.
Payed $1450 back then and now $2k+400.
So in stepped my 14MZ. I miss the weight of my 9ZHPS. I prefer the extra weight.
The 14MZ is lighter than my 9ZHPS.
I like having both 72 and 2.4 modes.
Just my $$ spent

edit forgot to mention the six digital trims.

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50147.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	867307  
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
P-51B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jtsails, great description, I understand perfectly. I have to say, that does sound like a neat function.

Great information everyone thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 PM
d_wheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sfsjkid

The mp3 feature would have been nice to have though.
Just one minor correction. The 14mz does not handle mp3 files. It uses Windows .WAV files for audio.

Later;

D.W.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:56 PM
BobH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a 9ZWCII and it's a great radio.. Once you get it figured out!! I also have the 14mz.. and yes its expensive. Although I bought my brand new for under $1500 smiles. It's a great radio and its like a computer screen in that the choices are laid out for you. Selection of what you want to do is very simple.. more less just touch and go to where you want.
I like that fact that it's VERY intuitive to use. That was a big selling point for me. But either radio is a good choice.. both are very good.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 AM
jtsails

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DW
thanks for the correction, edited my earlier post
James
Old 02-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also think the 12Z is the best bang for the buck. I just recieved my 14MZ, and the touch screen is a nice feature and saves a lot of time in programming. The screen is 100% better than the black and green non backlit also. But if you are going to get a 12, the 12Z is the one to get for just a couple hundred extra. I looked for almost a month for a 12Z and they are not in stock, at least with the new 5114 reciever. So you may have to wait a bit for the 12Z.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
P-51B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks everyone, great information. Just what I was looking for.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Tony V.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

food for though.

http://www.futabarc.com/radios/feature-compare.html

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t405549p1/
Old 02-25-2008, 11:43 AM
P-51B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BobH

I also have the 14mz.. and yes its expensive. Although I bought my brand new for under $1500 smiles.

I forgot to ask you, where/how did you find a new 14mz for $1500 smilies?!?!?! [sm=confused.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][X(]
Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 PM
BobH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ebay! Got it brand new from a hobby shop in umm Mn I think. Warranty etc. Bid on it and never thought I'd get it but I did. Made me happy!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 PM
tkilwein

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know what dealer cost is on the 14MZ and that is way under.
They took a loss.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am getting closer to making a final decision as to how I want to go. Lots of information in the forums to help us all make an informed purchase. I am leaning towards the 12 channel - I plan on switching over completely to 2.4Ghz over the next year or so - so while I understand the arguement for the 12z, I would prefer to the 2.4Ghz module integral to the radio rather than added on. How does a 12z with a 2.4Ghz module compare for balance with the 12g? I currently have a 9ZWCII and a 9C super and have decided against upgrading them just because I don't want an add on. My thinking is the same with the 12Z. The 14Z appears to be the only radio dedicated either way.

I have flown with Futaba since way back - but given that I am going to make a complete switch-over, I guess I am going to look at JR also. So, without starting a flaming war, it would be nice for a comparison between Futaba and JR - know of anyone that has done that - comparing features against features. Thanks.

Dan
Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
reyn3545

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

According to Futaba, even the 12FGA uses the snap-on module... same one as in the 14MZ.

I do have a question... earlier posts mentioned that the 12z offers 14 total channels (2 on/off)... does the 12FGA offer the same?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the 12FG. 12 linear channels, 2 switching channels, total 14.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 PM
krokko

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just remember! When you by a FUTABA set it is coded for a region. If you want to travel there is a lot of hassle and expenses to it! Futaba service centers need to make money on people travelling the world! Look around for other brands as well!
One who has the experience!!! and is not happy with the Futaba locking in regional codes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service