Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR XP642 (opening it up)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 PM
CloudSkipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XP642 (opening it up)

Hi,
I have an old JR XP642 that has a messed up rudder/throttle stick (spring fallen off I think). I'd like to fix that just so that I could use it as a simulator TX.

Opening the thing is the problem. I've removed ALL the screws from the back and the front and nothing on the TX looks or feels even close to coming open. It's literally as if the screws were there just for show and in reality it's just glued together. I've looked for hidden screws under stickers, in the battery compartment, looked for areas where there might be plastic snaps (I've taken apart electronics alot in my time). This thing aint coming apart.

In case this is a general thing with JR's, what's the secret? What's the magic trick to opening this up?

Cheers and thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Default RE: JR XP642 (opening it up)

No trick at all.... Remove the screws from te back, remove the crystal and the back comes away.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:55 PM
CloudSkipper

Default RE: JR XP642 (opening it up)

ORIGINAL: Mac_Man_UK

No trick at all.... Remove the screws from te back, remove the crystal and the back comes away.
Thanks for reply. Well, I've removed six screws from the back: all four corners and two on either side of antenna. And oddly enough no part of the seam around the sides is showing any give at all. No hidden screws behind battery or behind stickers. I removed the crystal.

It's solid as a rock.

As for the front: Four screws came off the front. There were two screws which were actually fake plastic screws. Front face around sticks gives a little (very little) along the bottom edge.

I'm the original owner, so I know it's not been glued shut.

Cheers and thanks for any further insight as to what could be going on here.

EDIT: I forgot about one detail. When I took out the screws from the back, the bottom two corner screws just spun around (they weren't holding at all). It was the first TX I ever bought, so maybe the retailer (NOT a JR dealer) sold me a used item "as new" which had been opened and glued shut because the threads were stripped on two screw holes. Maybe that's it... the screws on the back seem to serve no purpose. If I could at least get the front face around the sticks off (to fix the rudder/throttle stick), but that's really stuck on there too.