RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Expected versus un-expected failures

Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
q8cub

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Expected versus un-expected failures

I still own an old jr max 5 if anyone here remembers it, and I only had one interference crash during my 10 years of using it and the cause was flying close to a big FM station antenna. I guess those old models were simple (but still had dual, reverse), and didnt have sophisticated computerized chips on them.

Sometimes, simlicity means reliability. And as we are watching futaba faast issues, I guess it is better to have a stupid system that you know when it will fail (due to frequency interference or bad battery) than to have an intelligent system that you can not know exactly when it will fail. This ambiguity causes a trust problem imo.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
ira d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Expected versus un-expected failures

ORIGINAL: q8cub

I still own an old jr max 5 if anyone here remembers it, and I only had one interference crash during my 10 years of using it and the cause was flying close to a big FM station antenna. I guess those old models were simple (but still had dual, reverse), and didnt have sophisticated computerized chips on them.

Sometimes, simlicity means reliability. And as we are watching futaba faast issues, I guess it is better to have a stupid system that you know when it will fail (due to frequency interference or bad battery) than to have an intelligent system that you can not know exactly when it will fail. This ambiguity causes a trust problem imo.
I would have to disagree that simlicty means reliability, yes I know the more simple
somthing is can sometimes mean there is less to go wrong but IMO how well
a product is designed or made is the key to reliability.

IMO the problem that Futaba and other manufactors are having is caused by trying
cut corners to make the product cheaper. I think most manufactors understand the
technology they use very well but dont always do what they know to be best.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
onewasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Expected versus un-expected failures

Feeling as you do I would stay right where you are!

I have flown top end stuff since it became available. Never had a crash or a malfunction due to Tx/Rx.
I bought the first shipment of DX7's. I now have the X9303 too. Complete reliability!!!
And I have flown the DX7 regularly for OVER one full year.

In mechanical or even electrical 'add ons' I am a low parts count guy----the lower the better. However you simply cannot compare the reliability of today's radios (the FASST problem is design/execution and that is separate) ----to the reliability of todays chips.
The only comparison that comes to mind is today's TV vs. those of 1980. When have you had a modern TV quit because of component failure?
For me the answer is never.

The real answer is to buy that which you want and that which you are happy owning.
I have flown for so long that when I finish trimming a new A/C it is set up about like we would have in the old days as my trims are all at neutral; all corrections are made to the A/C itself;and I seldom touch a switch while airborne.
BUT----I would take the new radio over the old every time!
I do have flight modes set up in case I feel like it (once in a while) and one maneuver in the sequence does require a rate change----but that is it.

My point of view-----
but I refuse to accept that any "failure" is inevitable.
I think the pilot is the most common failure point and I have NEVER seen an exception to that even at the highest levels of competition.