Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

quick question about crystals

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about crystals

Can a 72MGz set of crystals in a 2Ch. 75MGz tr & tx? I'm so confused on the relationship between 75MGz and 72MGz.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: quick question about crystals

No, you wouldn't be able to use the 72 MHz (H, not G) crystals in the 75 MHz radio.

MHz is an abbreviation for megahertz - or millions of cycles per second. The airborne RC equipment uses the 72 MHz range, ground stuff is the 75 MHz stuff.

It's not just the crystals in the radio, but there are other tuned circuits that may or may not work correctly, or even have enough tuning range to cover both bands.

Even if there were, it would take professional technicians and proper equipment to change from 72 to 75 MHz or vice versa. So it's not a simple matter of swapping crystals.

Besides that, in the 72 MHz band, it's not legal in the US to simply change a crystal to change your transmitter frequency. I'm sure people do it, but you're supposed to have the TX checked for proper tuning and frequency accuracy so that we don't interfere with other users of the 72 MHz band, or ourselves with improperly tuned transmitters.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:06 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info fizzwater2.

BTW I like your sig
Old 02-08-2008, 11:30 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.. another of my favorites is "Out of all the places we could be, this is one of them"...