Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

lost about 4" off of antennea wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 PM
chucked
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost about 4" off of antennea wire

I had about 4" of the wire ripped off today. Will this hurt the range? Today was the 1st time Ive really ran it and noticed it geeks out when it gets about 50 feet away, but I dont know if it was like that before.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
redfox435cat

Default RE: lost about 4" off of antennea wire

yes it will affect the range, the length of the wire is part of the tuned circuit. It has the least effect on the circuit but does affect it. Also don't just solder on a 4" inch piece of wire. replace the entire wire. The solder blob can act like a capacitor and defeat the purpose of the added wire.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:21 AM
chucked

capacitor? you mean resistor?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Redfox is in error on the effect of soldering on a length of wire to restore it to the original length, it will have absolutely no bad effect in any manner other that to not look as nice and will be more prone to future damage if it gets flexed much at the solder joint. N4MCZ
Old 02-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Gulliver

The solder blob can act like a capacitor and defeat the purpose of the added wire.
Only if its a helluva big blob of solder.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:49 PM
phildflyer

You can buy another wire for about a buck. Open up the receiver and replace it. It's easy and simple. It's the proper way of addressing the issue.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 PM
chucked

I did this today, the solder job went perfect, but it still is not working correctly, BUT, I used regular 24 guage stranded wire. Actually I replaced the receiver and still did the same thing. I was in the LHS when it happened to I said to hell with this and put spektrum on it. I put another 18t back together and Ill try it back out again tonight, it was possibly the radio. It would get about 15 feet away and start going nuts, just glitching and twitching, if i was on the throttle and it would go out of range it would stay at throttle for about another 3 seconds, now with a 8kv brushless and a lipo that is BAD NEWS, thankfully I never damaged anything