RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

changing RX TX crystals

Old 02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
206driver
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default changing RX TX crystals

I have a Hitec 555 RX on channel 19. I am about to get a Hitec TX that happens to be on channel 52. If I put a crystal in the RX to match the TX or vice versa is this too much of a change? Or does it not matter?

Dave
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: changing RX TX crystals

Changing the crystal in a Hitec RX is fine, even when changing channels this far apart. Older Futaba RX's are primarily the ones that are sensitive to changing between what they call Hi and Lo bands.

For the 6,432 time. It is STILL illegal to change your own TX crystals in the U.S. "Modules" can be changed or Synthesized systems can be used but NOT crystal swapping. IF the TX crystal IS changed the TX needs to be checked by an RC radio shop for correct alignment.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hitec Rx's are plug and play from one end of the band to the other and their has never been a high and low band restriction with them. There is no problem switching Rx crystals yourself and can be from one end to the other.

And yes as mentioned Changing a Tx crystal is aginst FCC regulation without a retuning. You will find Hitec does not make Tx crystals redially avaliable for end users. Rx and Tx crystals are not interchangeable.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 PM
206driver
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess I will make the switch on the RX then. The last thing I need is the FCC after me. I'm still laying low from removing a tag from a set of mattresses I bought last year. : )

Thanks guys
Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 AM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 206driver

I guess I will make the switch on the RX then. The last thing I need is the FCC after me. I'm still laying low from removing a tag from a set of mattresses I bought last year. : )

Thanks guys
To the best of my understanding it IS legal to remove the tags. You just can't resell afterward.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 206driver

Thanks guys
Some people make a joke out of the black suburbans showing up but the reality is there are commercial users sandwhiched between our RC channels. These users pay big bucks to use the band, unlike us who are essentially freeloaders. If your failure to properly tune your transmitter causes a problem for a commercial user the FCC will take action and the fine is $10,000 per occurance. It would be also fun to know that if there was ever a serious accident and an investigation and it turned up the person involved was using an illegally modified transmitter, you'd be getting a thank you card and a gift basket from the AMA and your homeowners insurance company for letting them off the hook.

Put in context that makes the 30 bucks to get a transmitter tuned sound like a bargin.