RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9CAFS advice please!!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
flygilmore

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba 9CAFS advice please!!

Hello, I am looking for an upgrade to the current 6XA radio that I have had for a few years now. I am currently flying 3 gas planes up to about 30% in terms of scale and feel that I have long outgrown my current radio.

I have been looking at the 9CAFS and 9CAPS and thinking that this would be a nice upgrade. I am mainly looking for the ability to use two elevator servos without having to use special y harnesses like I have been using (Futaba adjustable unit).

Does this TX's dual elevator mixing work smoothly and evenly throughout the servo movement as it comes out of the box?

Also, is PCM deff. better for gas planes (as mentioned, I have been using only FM so far with no problems, knock on wood)

I am thinking it would be nice to go with the 9CAFS and get the same Channel on the new radio so that I can use the 8rx's that I am currently using now and then slowly switch over to PCM as money allows.

If I understand correctly, I could switch from FM to PCM as needed-is this correct with the 9CAFS?

So, which one should I get and who has the best price.

Thanks very much!! Mitch
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba 9CAFS advice please!!

You will like the 9C. It will do everything you want to do. By all means, go to PCM it is much more immune to RFI. You will eventually get burned with FM and gassers.

You can pick up a good used one here on the forum. I sold a 9C for $225 recently and that included the PCM receiver. A lot of us are moving up to 2.4 gHz and more expensive radios, so the 9C's are going cheap, and they are great radios.

Hope this helps,
Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 AM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well here's another vote for the 9C super, from another Geezer.

To answer your question regarding dual elevator servos, yes and yes! The 9C has a ready made mix or ailervator function for dual elevator servos, but it uses ch 8 for the second servo[&o], but you can also use a P-mix to put the second servo on another channel, such as ch 5 for a fixed gear aerobatic plane, the P-mixes in the 9C have the option of coupling the trim to the slaved channel. The 9C has incredible flexibility in the ability to assign switches.
At its price point the 9C is hard to beat[8D]
Good luck,
Pete
Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 9caps and 9cafs are the same radio, the P or F denotes the defualt modulation and if you buy a complete set, what reciever comes with it.

PPM or PCM is set on a per model basis so when you switch models it sets the radio to the appropriate modulation (you do have to power cycle if you change to a model with a different modulation though)

Also if you find a deal on the 9CHSuper you can use that as well, the programming is identical and I prefer the smooth throttle of the helicopter version for aerobatic flying, the only other differnce is the 3 position switch on the top is on the right on the A version and on the Left on the H version and the spring loaded toggle and the large two position toggle are swapped as well.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:46 PM
DougV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also you can later upgrade it to 2.4 if you need to and still use the 72 mhz system.

Is a very good radio.

Doug.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 PM
3DAP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am very happy with mine, I was going to get a fasst module and receiver for it. But I do not have any frequency problem's at my field so I am staying with 72 until the 2.4 mice find their way thru the maze! 9CAPS is a good radio paired up with a R149DP receiver they have good reputation's. Just dont let anyone turn onto your channel. Also like MR. GEEZER said, stay away from fm rx's and GASSER'S!!!!!

3DAP
Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have two 9Cs. A 9CH which I purchased 3 years ago. That was my main radio for flying competition gliders and electric planes. I just picked up a 9C Super for some added Glider capability and converted the 9CH to 2.4 GHz Spektrum.

Since I have two, you know I like them.

I don't use the dual elevator so I can't say if they work smoothly or not.