RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New SPEKTRUM 9100 RX with dual batteries

Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Eric.Henderson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New SPEKTRUM 9100 RX with dual batteries

I noticed a few questions being asked about this new RX. Also I have been trying them out with and for customers in my store. I thought it might be helpfull to open a thread within general forum rules to expand on the features, hear from current users and answer questions.

The dual battery design of this RX is not for everyone but really appeals to the Jet jocks and the pilots of large IMAC size airplanes.

One question was about the three sockets/slots in the bottom row. (L-R) Switch, Bind/data and Bind/data.

This RX is different in that it is internally designed for use with a "soft" switch. Looking from the front, the switch is plugged into the left slot. This is not a regular power/switch socket. The two main batteries are plugged into the two leads provided at the other end of the RX. This is significant because it also means that the bind plug now needs a different slot other than the switch slot. Most existing Spektrum RX's ues the battery/switch slot as a bind socket as well.

[The soft-switch draws 1 millamp all of the time and if it fails the RX stay turned on.]

The 9100 has two slots that carry the label bind/data. Because of the soft-switch design you now need a bind slot, but why two? Well, a data-logger can be plugged into either of the two slots, center or right, and to activate the bind process you can then plug into the remaining slot. In most cases the guys will use an extension lead to facilitate bind activation.

Some spoke of permanently plugging in a data logger lead and a bind lead then ,mounting them on the surface of their fuselages. Some are thinking about leaving a data-logger in situ! You will have to decide what gender of bind plug you might want to use on your extension(s), perhaps to identfy the bind function vs the data-logger

[So far, I have not tried binding with a data-logger plugged in as well. I would report, however, that you need to disconnect the main batteries if you are not going to fly for a while]

That should be enough to get the ball rolling for now?

Regards,

Eric.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Eric.Henderson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New SPEKTRUM 9100 RX with dual batteries

Pictures for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45295.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	878069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80477.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	878070  
Old 02-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good info..I just got mine but havent had a chance to mess with it yet. I definitely like the EC3 connectors better than Deans.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Eric.Henderson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First of all I must hastily insert that after some more testing I was able to see that the center slot does indeed do nothing at all.

I tried the bind plug/process, a 4.8V battery, a switch, a data logger etc. to no avail, so it does nothing as far as I can tell.

Here is the basic layout out right out of the box.

The soft switch has only one lead as you can see.

Name:	Ay73313.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	878898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89410.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	878899  
Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It a clever setup -
Ibet once you get familiar with it -you will note that the center unit is not a RX- it is a power distributor - probably a FET which once switched on. stays on even if voltage changes .
also I bet the power does not feed to the servos till the rxs are ON
Just guessin but that's how I would do it.

It should be the cat's meow with a set of A123 cells.
None of my present planes need it as power draw is not all that high . I do leave my data logger on.

Name:	Qo41207.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	878904  
Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Eric.Henderson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The first thing that was tried was the soft-switch. It turns the RX assembly on and off. You get a nice blue light when the center unit is on. If you pull the switch out while it is turned on the blue light and the unit stay on.

If you plug it back in again it can be used to turn the unit on and off. In the off position the RX does not work but still draws a milliamp to keep the soft switch ready for action.

The bind plug was tried next. It has to go in the data/bind slot. (The data logger would not cause a bind to occur BTW.)

The process was similar to the 9000. Plug in the bind plug, turn on S/W and the lights blink. Hold TX button, turn on and wait about 15 seconds. Bind complete.

The custon failsafe was also tried. Plug in the bind plug, turn on S/W and the lights blink. REMOVE bind plug. Hold sticks where you want them, hold TX button, turn on and wait about 15 seconds. Personalized failsafe bind complete.

The data logger works just fine in the same slot. A test turn-off of the TX gave the right reading on the logger.

I would envisage that you might want to have an external jack for both binding and data log reading. If you look at the gender of the data logger plug and an extension lead, you will see that the plug genders are different to that of a normal charging jack and charge lead. I guess that this will ensure that you can't mistake the jack for a battery charge socket.

Name:	Hf97636.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	878905  
Old 02-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Eric.Henderson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I played around with a selection of batteries. They both should be the same.

The 2-cell LIPOS worked the RX just fine but were too much voltage for the regular and digital servos. I would suggest that a pair of 5-cell NiMH's would be a good choice for normal operation.

You could unplug either of the two packs and the system kept on trucking with narry a glitch.

This RX may be a bit ahead of its time as regards servos that run on 7.4 plus volts. There is an expensive fan-cooled LIPO regulator (You will need two - one for each LIPO) that you can use with the current servos out there.

Until then I would use two MPI switches between the RX and the batteries (One each). Then they can be individually charged and the RX supply turned off when not in use. You stilll get good redundancy from the two packs if a switch fails.

Regards,

Eric.

Name:	Da83370.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	878917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54003.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	878918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41294.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	878919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73639.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	878920  
Old 02-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Been running mine for a few weeks now with A123s, no problems at all so far.
The center port does have power on it as it powers up the data logger...wonder what its for? Btw the data logger was able to read voltage thru it and the data from the remotes was pulsing but some data is on that port. Maybe some future gadget?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:23 PM
decoy26

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When you plug in both batteries should you get 2 blue lights? I only get one and if I disconnect the battery with the light on the other light will come on and keep the receiver active. Is this because the voltage may be higher in one pack versus the other?? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get 2 blue lights with both packs on.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:19 PM
decoy26

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Eric.Henderson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I received a question from an RCU reader on my regular e-mail. Unfortunately the e-mail is acting up so I am posting the answer here. You can figure the question out from the answer.

The 9100 is a complex receiver in that it uses two batteries and a soft switch.

The problem with the set up is that the batteries are on all of the time to drive the soft switch circuit. The advantage being that if the switch fails the receiver will stay on.

Then the 9100 uses two batteries. The blue connectors, as you saw are only two wires each. This circuit is only involved with power, The bind slot and the data logger slot are different slots.

You need to be able to turn off the batteries with their own switches.

They are rigged as follows

Battery <-> MPI switch <-> Regulator <-> receiver.

You do two of these.

The regulator is needed if you use a 2-cell LIPO, for example.

The three wires on the MPI indicator switch do not drive the LEDS. The signal wire (orange) is not used in this set up. The LEDS still work

Please note that the LEDs come on on both switches if either switch is put on. AND you still need to switch on both switches to engage both batteries. Once both switches are on the batteries are connected in parallel and will self balance as well.

You need to make up a connector with a blue plug (EC3 connectors) on one end and two wires to a JR plug to the battery on the other end. (You need two of them)

One of my planes has two 1500 mAh LIPO batteries (11 servos) .

I use;

- 2 MPI switches with built in charging jacks for the batteries. When the switches are off the batteries are independent

- 1 extra JR charging jack modified to take the correct gender for the data logger.

- 1 extra JR charging jack for an external bind socket.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Eric.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm setting up a 9100 in a giant Telemaster with dual NiMH receiver batteries. I don't like the idea of two additional switches for the batteries as that means two more possible failure points. The draw from the receiver is less than most batteries self discharge rates so for short periods of time I don't think a person would need to disconnect the batteries.

I can't see any reason why you can't charge the receiver batteries using the servo type charge lead while the batteries are plugged into the receiver control unit via the EC3 connectors and the system is off. The batteries are isolated by the unit itself so there should be no problem quick charging the batteries at the field while still plugged into the receiver control unit. What do you guys think?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Mr.John
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok been ready alot to try and understand this setup as I'm putting a 33% edge back up in the air with a GT 80 no elctronic igntion here.Eric you said that you are running two extra switches to be able to shut of the battery to the regulator.I am have always under stood that one should never leave or charge a LiPo in side a plane.Been common practise for me since I have been using LiPo's in my electric planes.This is what has always been told to me from many people.I think I'm going to get one to power my edge as I will have 7 digital servo's and one standard one and will feel a little safer using this setup as I will be powering my receiver and servo's with 2c3700 mil LiPo packs.I will have to get 2 regulators but am wondering can you use only1 battery pack to run the reciever and servo's or is it a must to run twin packs.Just thought I'd throw it out there and see what people are thinking of them these days and what if any problems have come up.John