RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR X9303 VS Futaba 10C FASST

Old 02-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Technito20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR X9303 VS Futaba 10C FASST

I've always been a big futaba fan. I have quite a few Futaba transmitters, the 7CAP being one of them. I've been wanting to upgrade to another transmitter. I'd consider the 9CAP, but it doesn't do much more than the 7CAP neither do they offer it on DSM yet. The only issue I have with Futaba is they've jumped from the 9CAP to the 12ZAP. the 9CAP is reasonably priced, but the 12ZAP at $1300 is out of my price range to pay for a transmitter. So for the past year I been considering Spektrum technology. I bought the park flyer transmitter, the DX6. I been thinking about the DX7 but now that they made the JR 9303 on DSM (X9309), I've been considering nothing else. The 9303 in my opinion is far superior to the 9CAP and not to mention it's the X9303 (9303 on DSM) exactly what I been looking for, a 9 channel transmitter on DSM. And for the price of $600 at my local hobby store, you can't beat it. I've made up my mind that this is gonna be my next transmitter. But a few days ago I see that Futaba just released the all new 10C FASST on DSM. And it's priced $30 cheaper than the X9303. Also they have a 12FGH which is priced right at a grand, which isn't too bad for a 12 channel transmitter. But I still don't want to pay that much for a transmitter, nor would I have use for 12 channels . Anyway, the 10C is the one I was considering if I decide to stick with Futaba. I noticed the 10C only has a 15 model memory, when the X9303 has a 30 model memory. Not only that, the X9303 has 5 CCPM mixes and I believe the 10C only has 3. There's a ton of specs to compare, I haven't had too much time to compare all of them. Futaba lists all the specs on their radios, but JR doesn't list everything. So I'm still kinda stuck in the middle of which to get. The only thing the X9303 is a 9 channel transmitter. I'm not too worried about the 10th channel because I'd probably never use it. All I know is I need at least 9. If anybody have any ideas they want to share about these 2 radios or which and why I should get one or the other. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks =)
Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: JR X9303 VS Futaba 10C FASST

Troublemaker.....
Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One minor point about your comparison: The 10C can hold more than 15 model memories when using a CAMPac module. A 64K module is about $35 and will expand the number of on-board model memories. I don't know how many more models will fit in 64K as each transmitter model uses a different amount of memory per model... Regardless of how many it holds, if you need more model memories then you simply get more CAMPac modules...
Old 02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't find the link now, but I'm certain I saw three capacity Campac modules listed for the 10C.
While I'm not about to retire my 9C, I hope to get to see and hold one at the WRAM show next Saturday. I plan on asking plenty of questions[8D]
Pete
Old 02-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tower shows April, so maybe June ,July or August...Futaba itself doesnt even show it.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
airbusdrvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought the X9303 and JR and Spektrum receivers for all my planes late last fall. I switched from the Hitec/Futaba side to the JR/Spektrum side. I have been happy with everything BUT ONE. Do not expect to read the X9303 owner's manual and then be able to use all its features. The JR X9303 owner's manual is like buying a really high speed, high memory, fully loaded computer and the owner's manual only explains how to get on the internet and to use e-mail. Unlike my Hitec transmitter which gave an example of everything it would do, the JR X9303 manual does not. Some will say go to Horizon Hobby's web site for examples. Everything there is for the 72 Mhz 9303 and mostly for sailplanes.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Conditions , it boils down to conditions for me. Unless I'm missing something , the 10c offers 3 of them ,but just in the heli version which won't help us fixed wing fanatics. Oh , there is also the matter of 1024 resolution... unless a RX upgrade yields 2048.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:11 AM
PJ_TankPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Zeeb
Troublemaker.....
How true. But since he asked……..

I was in a similar situation. I had a 9C, a dozen PCM receivers and 3 CAMPAC modules. Previous 6 transmitters were Futaba, only one with a problem. I liked the 9C and probably convinced a half dozen others to get them.

The switch to 2.4 is expensive but probably my last major R/C technology change.

I got a Futaba 6EX which was the only Futaba non-module solution available. It worked fine but was an entry level radio and would definitely not be suited for all my stuff. I decided to go with the JR X9303 and would do the same again, even if the 10C was available. The top reasons in priority sequence:

1) Model Match.
2) I did not like CAMPAC modules. And when the 9C Super came out I, liked CAMPAC modules even less.
3) I prefer to not have a frequency hopper

The X9303 transmitter model setup is different than the 9C but I have not had much trouble converting so far. I have asked a few questions here on RCU and of other JR users. Some things are easier, some not. Biggest problem was transmitter reversed charger plug polarity.

One thing that made it easier to convert is that I had already converted to JR servos, switches and extensions so I did not have to deal with ‘J’ plugs. I just mount the two receivers and program the transmitter using the numbers from the 9C remembering Expo polarity is reversed.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PJ_TankPilot

Troublemaker.....
Yeah he asked, but these kinds of questions usually just deteriorate into huge arguments. There's lots of information already posted about the two systems, lots of stuff on the various radio models with the new 10C still being a bit shy on that aspect, but it's basically going to be like it's counterparts. So he's at a point where it's time to just bite the bullet and make a decision as there will be no concensus of opinion on which one is best.

For what it's worth; at this time last year I had a 9C Super and a 9Z WCII with a half dozen different rx's but for reasons I'll not elaborate on here, all that stuff is now gone and been replaced by a DX7, an X9303 and I have a new 12X backordered.

I stewed about making the switch to the "dark side" for quite awhile and it did cost me a pretty good chunk of change, but after having used the new stuff I have no regrets about the switch, nor would I go back...
Old 02-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Technito20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PJ_TankPilot

Troublemaker.....
Yeah he asked, but these kinds of questions usually just deteriorate into huge arguments. There's lots of information already posted about the two systems, lots of stuff on the various radio models with the new 10C still being a bit shy on that aspect, but it's basically going to be like it's counterparts. So he's at a point where it's time to just bite the bullet and make a decision as there will be no concensus of opinion on which one is best.

For what it's worth; at this time last year I had a 9C Super and a 9Z WCII with a half dozen different rx's but for reasons I'll not elaborate on here, all that stuff is now gone and been replaced by a DX7, an X9303 and I have a new 12X backordered.

I stewed about making the switch to the "dark side" for quite awhile and it did cost me a pretty good chunk of change, but after having used the new stuff I have no regrets about the switch, nor would I go back...

The last sentence of my post said this....

"If anybody have any ideas they want to share about these 2 radios or which and why I should get one or the other. I'd really appreciate it."

What I said there should not deteriorate into a huge argument. I didn't ask which is better, between Futaba and JR. Something like that would boil down to the individual's opinion and could possibly result in an argument. Arguing over which transmitter is the best is a pointless discussion anyway. But that's besides the point, and not what I opened this thread about. I just want to obtain true facts about the 2 transmitters since I am practically new to the whole DSM and how modules work. And besides I've never owned a transmitter over 7 channels. So I was hoping for people who have or know information about the radios could share their views on it. That's what RC Universe Discussion Forums are about. To "Discuss" things and share opinions. So the point of this thread was not to try and cause Futaba and JR users to fight. It's just I wanted to hear views on both radios before I decided to buy one. So far there's not been an argument, except for you thinking that this thread will result in an argument. So again, I see no reason why I couldn't start a new thread for people to share their ideas about these 2 particular radios.

I do appreciate those that responded and the information shared so far, it's helping me come to a decision =)

Old 02-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Technito20

I do appreciate those that responded and the information shared so far, it's helping me come to a decision =)

I did share an opinion. Now I'll share another; DSM vs FASST has been beat to death, module vs native has been beat to death, 72MHz vs 2.4GHz has been beat to death.

Maybe you should consider using the search function?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:59 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: F.Imbriaco

Conditions , it boils down to conditions for me. Unless I'm missing something , the 10c offers 3 of them ,but just in the heli version which won't help us fixed wing fanatics. Oh , there is also the matter of 1024 resolution... unless a RX upgrade yields 2048.
How would changing the RX yield 2048? It already comes with a R6014FS which is a 2048 capable RX. The limiting factor is the TX in this case.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:06 PM
bbagle1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have always flown futaba and love my 9C. It is easy to program and I have never needed more radio. My problem is I jst strted flying heli's and the 9C is very slow when using CCPM. Apparently the combination of the slow 1024 resolution and an inadequate processor causes some uncomanded control interactions when using ccpm. I am not good enough nor have I ever flown another radio so it doesn't bother me now but if I upgrade I don't want to not have every possible advantage when it comes to my radio. Can anyone speculate if this radio will be faster than the 9c as far as latency and also will it have the control interactions the 9c has? I am sure i have not described what I was trying to in the most understandable way so for more info on what I am referring to do a search on helifreak.com about latency tests. You will see what i am referring to. Like I said I have not noticed this because the 9c is all I have flown but people who have made the switch claim they feel much more locked in and find themselves ahead of their heli during flight bc they were used to flyingwith a slower system.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
jtsails
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Technito,
One correction(maybe) to listed specs on the 10c, it has 8 swash types, not 3, which is the same as the 12c. As has been pointed out, you can expand the model memory with Campacs. I am disappointed that they used the campac memory instead of CF or SD cards b/c it eliminates the ability to update the software via the web. As far as the 1024 vs 2048 resolution, I kinda wonder if that's not a typo since it comes with the 6014 receiver which is a 2048 unit.
My advice would be to save up and get a 12z.
James
Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Technito20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jtsails

Technito,
One correction(maybe) to listed specs on the 10c, it has 8 swash types, not 3, which is the same as the 12c.

Yeah, thanks. I found that out too, I guess I read it wrong and it thought it was a 3. About the 12ZAP, the issue is I currently have no use for a 12 channel transmitter. A 9 or 10 channel would already be more than I need. I been thinking about getting into jets, when I do I may go for a 12 channel then. But as of now I'm barely using the full capacity of my 7CAP

Thanks for the info =)
Old 02-18-2008, 10:07 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All I can say is check the servo output signal voltage on both. The reason I say this is I just bought the 12FG and for some strange reason Futuba in their think tank decided to make the servo pulse voltage 2.76v. Now this is fine if you just use Futuba servos. But most other servos are designed to operate at from 3 to 5 volts on their servo pluse voltage. am a big fan of the Hitec 5955TG's have 15 of them now. But I'm not sure how they will work on the new R6014 recevier. So I may just return the Futaba set and go with something else

Now check carfully as I have been told that it is only the R6014 recevier that puts out this low voltage.........this you will have to check for yourself.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You never say what you plan to fly but since you seem interested in swashplates I presume it is helis. I don't fly helis but I do follow radios very closely.

1) 9C does a LOT more than the 7C, but it seems it has some delay issue on certain swashplate mixes so that alone would take it out of the picture for a serious heli pilot. I have two 9Cs/ I fly small electrics and gliders with mine and I love them. I added a Spektrum module to one of them. With the announcement of the 10C I doubt there will ever be a 9C 2.4 GHz.

2) 9303 is a well established transmitter with a very strong following in planes, gliders and helis. The 2.4 version is the same transmitter with a new RF stage, so you can be confident the bugs have been worked out of the software. Also, you can't accidentially select the wrong model as the transmitter and receiver match up on a model basis. A very nice feature that Futaba does not have.

The installed base of Spektrum technology is huge compared to Futaba, so any issues, installation tips and the like are well established. There is safety in numbers. All systems have failures and both MFG have had recalls so there is no debate as to which is better. They both seem to work.

3) The new Futaba is ... new, so you can read the specs but there is little information about practical field experience. So you will be buying into "rev 1" of a new system.

Other posts have added to or corrected your original post, so I won't comment on those.

Both are top makers so you can expect top support. JR provides 3 years of warranty, Futaba 1. That is a big issue for many people.

You can get the JR now, the Futaba in a few months.

Good luck with whatever you choose to buy.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a 9C for 5 years its a good radio--I switched to the 2.4 9303 and like it better. The one thing is there is no lag when using dual elevator servos, unlike the 9c..The 9303 has a dedicated throttle curve mix so that leaves you with 2 more point mixes for KE flight. The JR is thinner and easier to hold (for me anyway). I like the programming better too--not that the 9C was hard but the JR is a little more user-friendly IMO. Only thing I don't like about the 9303 is you are limited to what switches can be used for flight modes where the 9C you can assign any switch.
If you are undecided, I would check that the 10C has addressed at least the elevator lag issue that the 9c had--if the 10c is just a 2.49C I would look hard at the 9303.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The lag issues on the 9C won't show up in specs. You will need to wait till there are lots of them out there to know how it really performs.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree but since that has been a complaint about the 9C I was thinking Futaba might make that a selling point with the 10C.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 PM
aeajr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is odd that the 10C does not appear on the Futaba web site yet.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/index.html
or here
http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/radiosystems.html

That tells me that they are not confident of ship date.