RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Electrical problems

Old 02-17-2008, 01:49 PM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Electrical problems

Yesterday as I was taxing out to fly my I/4 scale Edge 540 I noticed my elevator not working so I hit the throttle cut on my 9C and went out to retreive it.....took it apart rehooked everything and still the same thing....the dual elevator servos were drooping down and they were moving a little. When I got home, I changed out the Y harness and the elevator would work for a little while and then droop I tried a new crystal and thought I had it whipped but I turned on a little later and the elevator began the same routine.

I've been flying acitively for 20 years and have never come up on anything as strange as this...when this is happening I have control on all the other functions and I don't believe the 2 ele. servo's would go out at the same time. Suggestions???????
Old 02-17-2008, 04:03 PM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Electrical problems

1. why to use a Y harness on a 9ch digi radio?
2. try to check the 2 ele servos on different channel such as alie - see what happenes and vise versa - get te 2 alie servos and put them on the elev ch.
3. do he same on a different working rx with a differernt model setup,( a reset one) on the radio.

u need to find the rootcouse first.

good luck
Old 02-18-2008, 01:47 PM
RJConnet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First we need to know what receiver and what servos you are using. It is fairly well known that certain futaba receivers will not drive two of some Hitec servos from a single channel output.......RJ
Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM
gadix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what about your rx battery? 6v or 4.8? some sevos do not support 6v!!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:51 PM
DLT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good points guys!.They are Hitec 605's and it is 6V but i've been flying this set up for about 3 years on this plane but it could be that they are saying "i'm mad as H and I ain't gonna' take it anymore". The receiver is the 8 or 9 channel Futaba but I can't remember the #....anyway it's the long narrow one probably about 6-8 years old. I won't fly this thing again til I get it resolved of course but what's scary about this situation is it won't do it all the time. I thought I had it whipped yesterday when I put a new crystal in but obviously that wasn't it. I haven't had time to put another receiver in but of course I will try that as well as a 4.8 battery...thanks for all the help and suggestions....Dave
Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM
DLT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Problem solved (I hope)...First of all, thanks for all your suggestions guys. It was aFutaba 148DP receiver...I had another one just like it so I installed it. I changed out the 6V battery.....went to 4.8. Also changed out the Hitec 605's and went with a couple of Futaba 9202's that I had laying around. I put everything back together and tested it for a long time with no problems.....didn't get to range check it yet (rain) but at least i'm not afraid to fly it now. Thanks again....Dave
Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

changing so many things at one time will not allow you to diagnose what the problem was !

as it is, you are stuck with chucking the rx,2 servos, y harnes and rx battery.....[]

with 9 ch i would never have used any y harneses...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
DLT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe I should explaine it a different way........The problem lies i'm 90% sure with the 605 sevos (in retrospect i've had a few to many 605's go bad, all on 6V)...I'm pretty sure that the 6V battery combined with the 605's was a potential problem.... I checked out the receiver on another plane and everthing normal....however, I just got the 9C and haven't had the time to delve into the book for the 2 seperate elevator servos...it may seem simple to you because you know how but I haven't got that far yet but I plan on spending some time on it tommorrow because i'll have time...thank goodness for Fridays!! I've never had a problem like this one in 20 years of flying and instructing and don't anticipate having another like it....happy flying...Dave
Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Dave,
Glad to see that you got it worked out! I'm surprised though that it turned out to be the 605's. I've had quite a few and haven't had any problems with them. I'm on the other side of Mobile but if you have any questions about the 9c and want to get together I'd be glad to help!

Jon
Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
DLT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi there Jon....I appreciate the offer and I may call you...this afternoon I had alittle time to set up one of the slider switch's for the flaps on a plane that i'm flying Saturday. I plan on getting everything resolved tommorrow...I believe a friend of mine just bought a plane from you.
As far as the 605's I got to thinking back and i've had to replace 2 605's a year or so ago on that same plane (aileron) and I replaced another 605 on another plane. I thought that was very odd as I haven't had but a couple of servos go bad prior to that (at that point about 18 years of flying hot and heavy).
Dave
Old 02-22-2008, 06:48 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just wanted to input that my 9C did the same thing when it was only about 3 weeks old. Did the routine trouble shooting, one step at at time, wound up being the transmitter itself. After changing back over to my 7C everything worked fine. Sent radio back and the gimble for elevator was defective, been flying same radio now for about 3 1/2 years with no problem
Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
DLT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's interesting to know....I wondered if it could be the 9C but i've got 6 other planes on it and haven't had that trouble on any of them. What do you make of that?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:03 PM
N1EDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just noticed that TH no longer carries Hitec 605's. I wonder if, perhaps, the 605's weren't made to be run on 6V, only 4.8V?

Just butting in with my $.02.

Bob
Old 02-23-2008, 10:00 PM
DLT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think so Bob.....I'm remembering back a few years ago and it seems like a lot of people were having trouble with the 605's...I remember reading something here a good while back and the 605's were getting some bad press...I haven't done a search yet but I probably will.