RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Lightest standard servos for a 40 size profile

Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 PM
bbagle1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Lightest standard servos for a 40 size profile

I am trying to build my proflie as light as possible and have noticed there is a pretty big fluctuation in servo weights. The plane is made for standard servos and would like to use them if possible. Are there any standard size servos with at least 60+ ounces of torque that weigh around 1.25 ounces? My other option is to buy mid size/mini servos and use a CF adapter to make them fit. I don't want to break the bank so I have been looking at the hitec 225's. Do you think these will be up to the abuse I will surely put them through or will I have blowback problems? I will be flying mostly 3d.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lightest standard servos for a 40 size profile

how about Futaba 9650 Digi's?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Lightest standard servos for a 40 size profile

The Hitec 225s are CR*P (IMHO).

They are billed as "the mighty mini" and they do have a strong motor but are let down by a weak gearset.

I tried these in 40-sized profiles and got sick of changing gearsets -- even on the MG version.

The weak link is the tiny MP gear which is a nylon one just 0.8mm thick (1/32"). The metal gears hold up just fine but the slightest bump or knock and that MP gear just gets trashed and you're up for another.

Others have reported not-so-good centering when used in big-throw environments such as 3D birds -- although it's rarely noticed on planes with smaller surfaces.

The HS225 is one of the very few *bad* Hitec servos (IMHO).

Even the metal-geared Chinese mini-servos are *much* better. I'm using some of those on a .90-powered UAV (rudder and elevator) with zero problems.