RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9CA Cosmetic flaw Awesome Radio!!!

Old 03-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 9CA Cosmetic flaw Awesome Radio!!!

I ordered a 9CA, and sent it back because I thought it was damaged, it had 3 scratces on it right next to the 3 knobs under the antenna. I went to the hobby shop and looked at the 9CA and every radio has these 3 scratches on it, has anyone that has this radio noticed the 3 scratches on the TX. I dont want to spend 375.00 on a radio with scratches, also if it has that defect what other defects does it have, and why are there manual updates on this radio already. Kind of tells me this radio was put out to market before it was ready. Daz...
Old 03-07-2002, 12:40 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh no Daz: Thats a bummer. I looked and mine has no scratches. Call them and *****. It really is a good radio. Or email Ann Marie Cross. She is good at taking care of these things. Bkf

ps: Updates are a good thing. Translating from one language to another is tough. And they also find new and better ways to do things. It's only the manual, at least they are not doing any software changes.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Dazzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I already sent mine back, did you look real good at yours and see no scratches, they are very fine scratches, if you dont see it, then it must have been a bad batch. Im curious to see if others noticed this also. Daz....
Old 03-07-2002, 12:47 PM
bkf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see three marks above the knobs next to the little arrows but they are not scratches. Looks more like ink. Very hard to see. Bkf
Old 03-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Dazzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats exactly what I am talking about, those marks looks like someone scribed those lines in them freehanded with an exacto, cause they are not even straight lines, their crooked. Unacceptable, I will wait until they address this b4 purchasing.Daz...
Old 03-07-2002, 12:59 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dazzler,
Those are mold marks. They are not scratches, or damage, or defects. They are just part of the mold for the radio.

The manual updates are in place as we find minor errors, new ways to complete things, creative ideas customers have that we want to share with our users, etc.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
productsupport@greatplanes.com
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 03-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Dazzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am a tooling engineer and very familiar with molds & Dies, and I cant see how any mold could effect a surface like this. To me these look like what is called "feedout marks"
Old 03-07-2002, 02:11 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Dazzler
I am a tooling engineer and very familiar with molds & Dies, and I cant see how any mold could effect a surface like this. To me these look like what is called "feedout marks"
Dont mean to be critical here, buuuutttt. Your buying the radio to fly with not to win a beauty contest If you can hardly see them I mean cmon man, after 4 years of hard flying there will be a hundred of them. A little critical to call a radio defective because of some marks that need a magnifying glass to see. Suit yourself but you are passing up an awesome radio (to fly with, not to look at maybe).
Old 03-07-2002, 02:31 PM
iflyrvs1-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with Chad my radio is a wonderful piece of equipment which i use to fly not put in a showcase to look at. You are being too critical and missing out on a wonderful radio. Mike
Old 03-07-2002, 02:35 PM
bkf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys: It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I know im going to flip the day I get a scratch on my Roo paint even though it won't effect anything other then my pride. We all have things that are important to us and it's as varied as mankind.
Thanks Bkf
Old 03-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Dazzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You guys are right, I am missing out on a good radio, and yes the scratches are miniscule. However, I realize that a Tx is going to get some blemishes after time, I like to take care of my equipment and if it comes with flaws, I dont like that. Would you buy a brand new car with scratches, and I know we are not talking thousands of dollars, but I will wait till they repair this part of the mfg process before I buy, and trust me they will repair it, if they already havent.
My thoughts on buying things has always been if you can see something on the exterior that is wrong, then there is usually something wrong interior wise, however so small.
The 9CA seems to be a very nice radio with great features, and yes I did want it very bad at one point, but now my 1-6XAS,
2-7UAP's, and my1- JR652 all look very good to me. I was just trying to consolidate my 3 Futaba's model memory into the one 9CA, but I will keep everything the way it is. Good luck to all those who have it. Daz....
Old 03-07-2002, 08:18 PM
bkf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Picture

Here is the best picture I could make. Sorry about the grain but it was macro with a light able to light 30,000 square feet. Do your own compare's guys. Bkf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5085_1495.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	3865  
Old 03-07-2002, 08:40 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Daz...
Are you serious Big diffrence when buying a car that is scrached and a car that has a fine line that cant be seen without a magnifying glass! This is getting a bit anal isnt it? Radio is awesome and those tiny tiny little scratches are not going to make you fly any diffrent, or affect the quality of the radio! I FLY rc, not frame my stuff for display?? Your loss is someone elses gain I guess....
Old 03-07-2002, 10:08 PM
bkf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Todd: How about framing your Roo in the trunk of my car?
Old 03-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Dazzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lov2flyrc, you have to understand I am not telling you to return your radio. All I'm doing is pointing out the flaw, do you like that term better than defect. This is a forum where you can give your thoughts, and those are my thoughts, as you can see from the picture BKF shows those are the scratches that I am talking about. It is your choice to live with it, or live without it, I opted to live without it for now. I'm not sure if you wear glasses or not, but I dont need a magnifying glass to see those scratches. I dont frame my equipment either but it is my option to buy something or not, I'm sorry if you disagree. It is a very nice radio with the exception of those scratches, or I wouldnt have bought one, unfortunately I had to return it because I didnt like the flaw. Daz...

Bkf nice photo showing the radio. Daz...
Old 03-07-2002, 11:15 PM
slam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does look like a flaw in the process to me. I probably wouldn't make such a big deal about it, but it would cause some trepidation on my part to receive a "new" item produced like that. Once I own it I have every right to scratch it up but it should look good out of the box. Just my 2 cents .
Old 03-07-2002, 11:59 PM
Dazzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And I didnt even mention that large mark right above the dustcover, just below the antenna. C'mon guys, are we going to accept this as high quality.
Most mfg. companies have what you call Quality control, and they actually use magnifying glasses, or stronger viewing equipment to inspect product before it ships. Daz...
Old 03-08-2002, 12:07 AM
Yucholian
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hmmm

I've been reading this thread awhile and I have come to a conclusion. It is his right to like or dislike the radio since he bough the thing. It is his right to keep or return the radio since he paid for the thing. He's not making a big deal like people are saying he is. He's just sharing what he thought. It may appear he's making a big deal because he's responding to all of you commenting on his opinion (all of you versus one of him). So you see his name often on this thread, which leads you to believe he's making a big deal. But you all need to stop telling him how to feel, that's all. You're all trying to change how he feels about something. You don't have to agree with him, the guy just wants to vent. If it was me, I would probably send it back. If I got another one like it, I'd keep it knowing the first one wasn't bad to begin with. I'm a quality engineer for a medical company and I deal with plastic parts a lot. It's defective only if it's outside of the specification. Since we don't know what Futaba's exact spec is, we don't know if it's defective. Can it be prevented? Sure it can, it probably has been fixed already. I personally wouldn't have gotten as "excited" as this gentleman, that's what makes us all different. If you guys don't agree or don't like his opinion, there are plenty of other threads to read. Let him vent, the sooner you guys stop telling him how to feel and think, the sooner we can all move on to something more exciting, like how you guys want to fund my next giant scale project. I'm taking donations. Just think of what I can buy if you guys all sent me $1 each!
Old 03-08-2002, 12:27 AM
Dazzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Yucholian, I agree with your words. Just trying to make people aware of this, so that it can be fixed. And actually when I sent the 1st one back, I ordered another one, and if it came in with the scratches I was going to keep it, but Tower took forever to ship it, so it I cancelled it, but that another story. Thanks, Daz...
Old 03-08-2002, 02:55 AM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "defective" radio

You guys gotta be kidding !First someone calls a perfectly good radio "defective" because of some admittently minor scratches or toolmarks or whatever, and then the thread grows to 18 (now 19) posts ?
Don't you have anything better to do ?
Like building airplanes (or boats or helis, or whatever....)
I agree that you have the right to expect a good product for your money, but this goes too far !

my .02

Michael
Old 03-08-2002, 03:23 AM
bkf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: "defective" radio

This is what RCU is all about. Talking to each other and just about every topic one could think of. IMHO this is a good thread to me. Bkf

Originally posted by MTT
You guys gotta be kidding !First someone calls a perfectly good radio "defective" because of some admittently minor scratches or toolmarks or whatever, and then the thread grows to 18 (now 19) posts ?
Don't you have anything better to do ?
Like building airplanes (or boats or helis, or whatever....)
I agree that you have the right to expect a good product for your money, but this goes too far !

my .02

Michael
Old 03-08-2002, 03:46 AM
ishu4u
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

guess if you want it flawless a 10x would be in the ball park.. after all we fly the futaba to save a few bucks and get great features..i fly a super 8pcm myself and never thought to look that close even when it was new. the first thing i di was get it in a plane and go fly it.. probably scrated mine myself during setup..who knows, who cares.....i don't trade my care off after the first scratch..thats just character marks that remind me its mine.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:25 AM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "defective" radio

@ishu4u : :thumbup:

Only thing I would change in your post is : If you want it flawless , get a 10x...

Or a MPX profi 4000 !

Michael
Old 03-08-2002, 06:39 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fotaba 9C surface flaw

Daz

I agree with your actions. I want things to be "right" for my hard earned $$$ too. This is an upper spec. radio from a famous manufacturer.

They look like spurious scratches to me. I would not have been happy with it if purchased new. I have bought a few new radio's (all Airtronics) over the years and the Tx's (or anything else) have never seen scratched like that. I'm sure it's not "usual" or part of the manufacturing process. IMO you were right to send it back.

I suspect it may have something to do with the switch in manufacturing facilities to Taiwan, I never saw a new 8UA Tx with scratches on it. They were always pristine when new and we have quit a few of them in our club.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Dazzler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only way things get improved is to act on it, some of you guys are willing to except these flaws and let the manufacturer get away with it, well I'm not. If you are willing to accept it, its up to the rest of us to demand a higher class product, and get this fixed for everybody else. You just wait after a month or so, I,m sure you guys will notice that these have been fixed, or given an all together new face, and you guys will be stuck with those scratched up radios.
And as far as looking at the scratch and knowing it mine, they all have the same scratches, how will you know its yours, they're all scratched, duh.

MTT, that is what this forum is all about, if you dont like it unsubscribe for this thread and keep the Heck out, and go work on your plane, that was a very stupid post you posted, while adding to this thread. You probably dont even have the 9CA, or even considering buying one, and it doesnt even concern you. Daz....

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service