Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Flapperon programming on the JR XP8103

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flapperon programming on the JR XP8103

I originally posted this in the JR forum, but I guess Danny is scratching his head over it...so I'll post it here and see if I get a valid answer or whether I'm just talking gobbledegook.....

The question is about basic flaperons, I'm not concerned about the flap mix switch right now for elevator to flap mixing(unless I need it).

I'm trying to set up basic flaperons on a Hobbistar 60 trainer, so I've used two servos and connected them to channels 2 & 6 per the manual.

With both channels set to work in the 'normal' direction, operating the ailerons makes both servos travel in the same direction. Therefore I presume that the ailerons should be connected to the servos in a 'mirror image' eg pushrods towards the wingtips.

Operating the flap knob makes the servos travel in opposite directions. With the servos set up in 'mirror image' the ailerons will then both move in the same direction. Fine so far......

However, I wanted to set up the flaps so that when the flap knob is in the '-' position the ailerons are centered, turning the knob clockwise to the '+' position increases the amount of flaps. ie moves them down.

No matter what combination of normal and reversed I choose for the two channels I can't seem to figure out how to get the flap knob work in the 'correct' direction. With the ailerons working correctly, moving the flap pot from '-' to '+' makes the ailerons move up not down, giving me spoilerons?

The problem seems to be that with flaperons enabled the reversing affects the individual servo rather than the function.

Is there any way to reverse the direction of the flab knob rather than the direction of the left aileron?

BTW I haven't yet connected the pushrods to the ailerons as I wanted to make sure I had the right setup before I installed the control horns.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:22 AM
tiggerinmk

Default Solution?

OK, so I've got an answer:

Just go to a mix (I used mix 1) select POT6-FLAP and change the direction of the graph. This has the effect of reversing the channel.

Now I can set the knob to the '-' position with the servos centered on neutral and add flaps by turning the knob clockwise to the '+' position.

For it to be this convoluted though, I have to wonder, am I using the flab knob in the correct way?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:46 AM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a better solution

This is what I did after searching the forum for a while and found out that Horzion will email you a programming guide for the 8103. It has a lot of info the manual doesn't cover so well.

Just email Horizon and ask for the 8103 programming guide, it's free and very helpful for flaperon setup.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Baja170

Be very careful with the flap pot. I have see a couple of times that people got themselves into trouble with it. It is safer to use the land switch and have 1 preset flaperon position, and just inh the flap pot.

William
Old 04-22-2003, 01:33 PM
tiggerinmk

Yup, I can see where you're coming from but I am adjusting it for neutral at the end of the movement (ie all the way round to '-') rather than the middle which can be a bit vague and get knocked out of adustment as you say. If it causes a problem I'll disable the pot.

It all comes down to pre flight checks. When you got lots of knobs and switches to play with, you need to make sure they are in the right positions before take off.

I've been using a XP631 for the last 18 months or so, and have often thought that the flap switch was a limitation, apparantly other people here think so too. Now I've upgraded to the XP8103, I find that people just disable the pot and use the switch aaaagh!

It seems that those who haven't got it think they're missing something, and those who have, don't use it !
Old 04-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Baja170

It seems that those who haven't got it think they're missing something, and those who have, don't use it !
HAHAHA Sure seems like it around here! Seems like more Heli guys using the Air version of the 8103 use that knob than the guys that fly airplanes.

Preflight IS the time to check the knobs and switches. You are 100% right about that. You can never check to many times. you know how I know that?? :stupid: whoops

William
Old 04-22-2003, 06:49 PM
drandles

Take a look at a web page I created on mixing the 8103 for flaps:

http://home1.gte.net/drandles/radioc...switching.html

Let me know if that helps.

Dale Randles
Old 04-23-2003, 02:18 AM
tiggerinmk

Drandles,

Looks useful, I'll look into it after I've got a few flights on the plane and feel like a bit of experimenting....
Old 04-25-2003, 02:04 AM
tiggerinmk

Default New solution?

I found another solution to my original problem....

Instead of creating a mix to reverse the action of the flap pot, just switch the connectors for channel 2 & 6.

ie LEFT aileron in channel 2 and RIGHT aileron in channel 6.

As both servos turn in the same direction when acting as ailerons it makes no difference. But BOTH servos are essentially reversed when acting as flaps, meaning they now move in the correct direction without the mix..

Don't know why I didn't think of it before.....