RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX6I versus DX7

Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
mondo1948

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Spektrum DX6I versus DX7

Hi Guys,
I've really appreciated reading so much useful information about the DX7, since I just bought one. I have a question for all you current owners of the DX7. My buddy told me yesterday that after 4-5 years, you need to mail the transmitter back to Horizon to get the transmitter's battery replaced. Is that true because I didn't see that in the manual? My buddy has the older DX6 and was thinking about replacing it with the DX7 (he wants the "model match" feature, however, his thinking now is that he should keep the DX6 and buy a DX6I because "then he will have a transmitter to fly with while he sends the other one back in a few years for the transmitter's battery replacement. I wonder if his thinking is convoluted. Personally, I don't think he'll be happy with the DX6 once he gets the DX6I.

My buddy is telling me that he will probably buy the new DX6I rather than the DX7 because it is also "newer" technology. I thought the DX6I is just an upgrade to the DX6, so people with larger planes, who need to be able to fly further away, can still maintain radio connection (the DX6 was advertised as having a "shorter" range for park flyers that don't fly that far away). Also, my buddy thinks the user interface is supposed to be easier in the new DX6I and therefore he may buy it, rather than the DX7.

I'd like to know the answers to these questions because at this point, I could sell my DX7 (it's essentially brand new) and buy the DX6I, if there are good reasons to do so. By the way, I don't care about the 20 model memory in the DX7 vs. the 10 model memory of the DX6I because I live in a condo and probably won't go beyond 10 planes. Also, I'm not sure when, if ever, I will need the 7 channels. I bought the DX7 transmitter without receiver/servos for $170.00 on Ebay before I realized there even was a DX6I.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mondo
Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Spektrum DX6I versus DX7

Dan Snyder in the JR support fourm would be taking it to the horses mouth.

I believe that Spectrum has done away with the requirement to replace a watch battery every few years though.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM
onewasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The DX7 and X9303 each use flash memory.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a chance to play with a DX6i on Saturday, it's a very well featured transmitter, but feels like a toy. The DX6i does not come with a rechargeable battery pack or charger, it uses 4 AA cells.
The DX6i has nothing on the DX7, except price

Pete
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

I had a chance to play with a DX6i on Saturday, it's a very well featured transmitter, but feels like a toy. The DX6i does not come with a rechargeable battery pack or charger, it uses 4 AA cells.

Pete
I totaly agree. I do not own a DX7 or the new DX6i, but I have used and handled both, and just based on looks and feel, I would go with the DX7. It also has a few more features. The DX6i feels and looks like it came from a kids store "toy"

If you don't care about looks, feel, or the fact that it uses 4 AA batteries, then I think that the DX6i would get the job done for you though.

LT
Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 PM
stump3r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mondo, I fly with the DX7 and love it. I have a friend with the DX6I, I have a few more features and of course the extra channel. They are pretty close in programming however if you are to put the two of them against each other the DX7 is the better tx. Keep your DX7 you won't regret it.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Pete
I've got one of these DX6i's as well and it's the tx which comes with the Blade 400 heli if it has the 4 AA alkaline batteries. The retail sets will come with an AR6200 full range rx where the Blade 400 uses an AR6100E and the retail sets will have 4 rechargable NiCD's with a wallwart charger. The one that comes with the AA alkalines can be setup with the NiCD's if you want to buy them.

It's a cute little tx with lots of features for the price, but as mentioned it's not in the DX7's class.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got to hold one (DX6i) in a LHS the other day. The proprietor said the programming was quite a bit more intuitive in the DX6i. I kinda liked the feel of it (my son has the DX7) but will have to think about the AA cells a bit.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PipeMajor

I got to hold one (DX6i) in a LHS the other day. The proprietor said the programming was quite a bit more intuitive in the DX6i. I kinda liked the feel of it (my son has the DX7) but will have to think about the AA cells a bit.
Well as I said, the only ones coming with the 4 AA ALKALINE cells are those included with the Blade 400 heli.

The retail sets (tx and rx) will come with 4 AA NiCD cells and a wall charger. They are supposed to be available any time now, but either way you'll have 4 AA size batteries so if that's an issue then the DX7 is your option...
Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
bluesky123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you are considering getting DX6i, be aware that it's not buddy cord compatible with any other Spektrum or Jr transmitter (that's what Horizon support told me)! In other words, you won't be able to get a flight instructor assistance (unless he also has DX6i) or to use this TX with a flight simulator. That's a major minus, IMO.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
dribbe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bluesky123

If you are considering getting DX6i, be aware that it's not buddy cord compatible with any other Spektrum or Jr transmitter (that's what Horizon support told me)! In other words, you won't be able to get a flight instructor assistance (unless he also has DX6i) or to use this TX with a flight simulator. That's a major minus, IMO.
Hi,

The trainer system of the DX6i is designed to be compatible with other Spektrum sytems, and JR systems. (it runs as a side process as the digital radio does not otherwised need a PPM stream).
It has been tested and confirmed with a broad array of these systems, and FS One and Reflex sims.

If you were told otherwise by support personell, we apologize, and are taking efforts to make sure everyone has the correct information.

If you are having trouble getting it to work, please specify the following:
-Other radio type and model
-Trainer chord type (JR mono type needed)
-Master or slave position for DX6i
-Trainer swith positions tried
-power switch positions.
-Observations of behaivior. What works, what doesn't

Please try to give support another try to see if they can help you. Please get the name of the tech you are working with.

Thanks, and have fun!
David
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM
haisanjafri

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

Need to know few things about this radio and the company SPEKTRUM as its new to us here;

1. How do we compare and grade the durability, quality and RELIABILITY of this company with Futaba?
2. Is it better than the Futaba 6 Channel spectrum radio?
3. Does it controls 2 servos on elevators along with 2 on ailerons?
4. Does its has exponential function on controls?
5. Can we mix rudder with ailerons and elevator with ailerons at same time? Required for knifedge maneuver!!
6. Does it has differential control feature for ailerons?
7. Does it has differential control feature for elevators?
8. Are there two separate models of this radio? I mean one for park flyers and full rage for bigger models?
9. Can we connect it to Hi-Tec Laser 4 with buddy cord??

Thanks!

Haisan.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

3. Yes
4. Yes
8. No, though they have park flyer recievers the DX7 is a full range system when used with the proper receiver
Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
DenverJayhawk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

is the DX6i capable of mixing spoilerons and flaperons?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hit http://www.horizonhobby.com and find the manual.

I can only tell you from helping people with them at the field that mixing like that was very limited on that radio.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 AM
haisanjafri

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can we do this in DX6i Or DX7?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79026.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1261257  
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
eghershey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone other than me had a problem with the DX6i's trim buttons breaking at the base inside the radio? I broke one about 2 months ago on the right left/right trim and today another one on the right up/down trim. Taking the unit apart the base of the trim button activates a T that pushes a pair of tiny micro switches. The T breaks at the middle of the T and I've CA'ed the piece back together and added a 45 degree piece of plastic to beef it up and made it many times stronger. I've not seen this on the internet as a problem from anyone other than myself.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:15 AM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
The DX6i has one good thing the DX 7 and DX-7SE doesn't have: A "Throttle cut button"

I have 3 of the Spektrum radios, two Dx-7SE and one DX-6i, all working fine. But...the a year ago (first week I was using the DX-6i) the elevator trim stopped working , but a little WD-40 sprayed on the pot solved the problem .The next week there was another problem. This time the scroll roller axle broke..! It's just a 2mm plastic axle...
I fixed this by making a new axle from a 2mm carbon fiber rod which I filed hexagonal in one end. Took several tries before I got the hex shape ok.
After these fixes the DX-6i has worked just fine.(Knock on wood)
Old 09-30-2009, 09:27 PM
wpotter6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

5. Yes
6. Yes
7. No
Old 09-30-2009, 09:31 PM
wpotter6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes for a DX7, but a DX6i will not support an Aux2 channel. You can connect one elevator to the gear channel and mix it, if using the DX6i without retracts.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
jg95762

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The throttle trim button on my DX6i went bad after about a year or so. I sent it back. They tested the transmitter and said its RF was low and sent me a brand new one for free! I have also had four AR 6200 receivers go bad (would not bind). They replaced one for free, and then gave me two AR7000s (I asked in my letter for an upgrade, and offered to pay) for free. I only recently sent the fourth back along with a failed Elfite 60Amp ESC. So, I have had plenty of stuff fail but have been impressed by their willingness to replace for free - of course, with the recession, they may have a lot of them lying around!

I have now picked up a used JR 8103 and am using that as my primary transmitter and will probably keep the 6i as a backup.