RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Cap 9 Aileron flap and air brakes

Old 02-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Sonic1954

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba Cap 9 Aileron flap and air brakes

I have a cap 9 radio. The plane has a servo in each wing and are tied into channel 1 and channel 6,

I have the flaps working when I rotate the knob to the left and airbrakes when I rotate to the right. Now I really do NOT want the airbrakes. I do not want to have to look down at my transmitter to see that I have the knob back in the center.

How do I program out the airbrakes? Piece of cake on a cap 7 but I have been working on this for a month now and still have not got it figured out.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba Cap 9 Aileron flap and air brakes

I think you have to go into the advanced programing and disable the air brake. As far as the use of the knob, you can try and move or assign) the finction from the knob to a two way switch and have down as nuteral and when you pull the switch up (or toward you) then the ailerons would go to flaps. The three way switch may be your best bet incase you have a different flap setting for take off and a different setting for landing. Any way try and disable the air brake in the basic or advanced programing section.
Hope this helps.
NEDYOB
Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Deadeye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crank your knob to full airbrake, remove the servo arm and re-center it. Now limit your flap travel via the FL trim function.

I prefer the slider switch for flaperon/flap function. Re-assign the switch to use a slider if you want.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Campgems

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sonic, you disable air break by going to the advanced menu, second page<2/2>. The first option is Air Brake. Click it. Then under Mix, the first option, set it to INH. Exit the page and you are done. FYI, that is also the page that setup the mixes for the air break.

Back on <2/2>, the bottom right option is where you select which switch to use to activate the air brake.

This all assumes you use the preporgramed air brake and not your own mix.

Playing with this function almost cost me my airplane a couple months back. I use Channel 1 & 7 for ailerons. I was playing around with the air brake off line, and when I got to the field the next day, one aileron wasn't working. Turns out that when you use air brake, the ailerons need to be 1 & 6. Like a dummy, I decided it would be easier to move the CH 7 servo over to CH 6 rather than fix the program. A quick check and all was well and of I went into the wild blue yonder. And it was a lot wilder than I was expecting. By leaving the air brake on, and moving the alieron over to 6, I now had flaperons also. The setup defaulted to the slider on the right side and I had bumped it full up somewhere along the line. That have me about 15 degrees of up flap. Man was that a handful to get back on the ground.

My preflight now is to do the normal wiggle the sticks and make sure everything moves as expecetd, then wiggle the sliders and other switches to make sure nothing is moving that I didn't want to. This is a powerful radio and it is very easy to really mess things up if you are not carfull. I now do my setups on Model TEST. once I have everything set there where I want it, I copy it to the correct Model name. I never fly with Test. That way, I am sure what the setup is. Only two years now with this radio and it still baffles me at times.

Don