Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver Failed in flight - due to it's age?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 AM
ptglass
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Failed in flight - due to it's age?

Receiver: Hitec Supreme RCD 3600 JR (8 CH)

I was flying non-powered sailplanes with a good friend of mine 2 weeks ago when he had his first in-flight receiver failure. The receiver just stopped working in mid flight. We are certain that this was not just a hit. After the mild crash, the receiver was just not functioning at all. He later said that he had read somewhere that this particular receiver was starting to fail due to age. The receiver was around 12 years old.

Has anyone reading this heard anything about this particular receiver failing due to age, and if so, can you tell us about it?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Receiver Failed in flight - due to it's age?

Age does not, in itself, usually have a bad effect on electronics. However, if they were stored or used in a hostile environment, corrosion can have disastrous consequences. If you carefully check for corrosion and find none, chances are the electronics are still fine. Of course some components such as the crystals Can have damage due to shock (crashes, hard landings, etc.).
Old 02-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Receiver Failed in flight - due to it's age?

I'd suspect the crystal before the RX. Can you put a new crystal in that RX?