RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter antenna length

Old 02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Ernie Misner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Transmitter antenna length

Greetings, I bought a used Futaba 8U transmitter and was surprised to see that when fully extended, the antenna is longer than all of the previous 4 and 6 channel Futaba transmitters I have had.

Anyone know why or if this is normal?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Campgems

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Transmitter antenna length

Antenna length is determined by frequency. There are loading coils that can simulate length and some "stubby" antennas that use a folded diopole setup where the length is folded over and over to fit the stubby rubber coated sticks. The antenna that comes with the radio is the correct one for that radio. They are designed to be used a full extention.

Don

Added.

I just reread you post and you state that it is a used radio. It would be possible that someone replaced a bent antenna with what they had in hand and may have put the wrong antenna on your transmitter. I would check with Max over on the Futaba direct support forum. He should be able to tell you if your extended length is correct. If there is any doubt, I would replace the antenna with a fresh stock one for your transmitter. You will be out six or seven bucks and that would be good piece of mind in my view.

Don