Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 ghz help

Old 03-06-2008, 03:57 PM
brenthampton79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 ghz help

I would like to start off i've read a few articles on this stuff, but I'm still not sure on the way to go.
I have had futaba forever and currently have a 9c now. All my stuff has futaba servo's and recievers.
obviously if i were to switch to spektrum or jr now would be time since i will have no use for the old receivers.

Now to the real queston
Is there really any difference between the futaba and the jr radio for someone that fly's on the weekends in their backyard. ( I would like to join a club one day when time allows)

I like the 10c that futaba is coming out with but the only thing that stops me is the campac module that then attracks me to the 12fg, I have over 15 models currently flying and will continue to grow my hanger. I notce that the 10c may have a limited memory, can i add more? to the 10c and the 12fg uses the sd card (which i like that idea seems to be forward thinking to me)
The lhs recommends the jr though, and i respect his opinion.
however im a little conservitve and futaba has always worked for me and understand their programing and also like ths sliders for the flaps on the back

Does futaba's changing frequency thing really better than the jr's locking on to two frequencies, (correct me if i'm wrong)
And will either one of these brands really make a difference to me other than preference?

Thanks for the advice and any opinions. I just want to make the right move and am not in a super hurry here either.
also will waithing for futaba to do more development be smart? (if thats the route i choose)
Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: 2.4 ghz help

I wouldn't worry about the technical differences between the Futaba and the JR 2.4GHz systems -- both will work just fine for your application.

What will be of more importance is the size and cost of receivers plus the ease with which you can transition from your existing system to the new one.

Let your wallet and personal preferences make the choice -- there are pro's and con's to both options but neither is a clear winner.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM
CustomPC

Xjet's advice is correct. Both Specktrum and FASST are now well proven.

To answer a few of your questions.
The 10C does have a campac module so model memory is virtually unlimited. I think it comes with 16 built in and you can fit 16 additional models per 64k campac. There is a 16x64 campac that will give you 256 model memories.

Another thing to consider is the amount and brand of servos you have. If you're been using Futaba receivers and use a lot of futaba servos then chances are they'll still have the tabs on the servo's J plug so a switch to Spektrum/JR will mean cutting the little tabs of every single servo (potentially 60 - 75 servos with 15+ models) to make them fit the spektrum RX. That could be a pain depending on the location of those servos.

As for the radios. I find that Futaba programming is more logical on the 7C/9C than it is on the Spektrum DX7 but the programming on the JR 9303 is very easy to use. I've used the 9303 (9XII in Australia) for many years with no problems. I expect the 2.4Ghz version would be every bit as reliable.

I have both FASST and Spektrum sets, and my own personal preference is for the FASST. There is no technical reason for that preference. As a long time JR user and an IT geek i'm comfortable with both brands.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 PM
brenthampton79

x jet and custompc thanks for the info that releives my mind a lot on the reliability of both, i like the unlimitedness of the futaba memory honestly. and thats what i have is futaba stuff already and a loooong time ago had an airtronics radio that had trouble out of and then went for futaba 4 channel and it worked great, needless to say i've been there since then. the 16x64 campac module where do i get that at??? i was under the impression that the 9z campac wouldn't work in my 9c, if thats the campac you're talking about? , but if i can store 200+ models on that one campac then I would be set, i think my wife would lose it if i get that many models I really like the price of the 10c and feel like that would be all i could ever want since i want to build 60 size warbirds after i finish my run of 40-60 size aerobats this year hopefully. Does futaba offer a way to have dual receivers like the jr or is that really overkill? i've never had dual receivers in anything yet , but just wondering if thats a requirement for 2.4 stuff? I want a radio i can buy once and use for a looong time too and already understand programming the 9c.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Does futaba offer a way to have dual receivers like the jr or is that really overkill? i've never had dual receivers in anything yet , but just wondering if thats a requirement for 2.4 stuff?"
If you mean "do they have satellite Receivers?" No. They don't feel they are required with their system.
If you mean "can I use 2 separate RX's at the same time in the same plane?" Yes.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
brenthampton79

bruce yes that's what i was asking about the satelite receivers. The jr having the satellite receiver makes me honestly leary of the 2.4 ghz stuff and the futaba since it is only one system, but if no one is having trouble with one then im in on this technology then. I definately don't want to keep going with the old technology if this stuff is better and safer for my planes and the people and objects that they could harm. I think i may go with dual receivers on my warbird models for back up and thats something i'll need help on when i get to that but I'll cross that bridge when i get there, right now im flying and building most of the gp 40 size aerobats and my goal is to have them all flying at one time.

again thanks everyone for the advice and your time i'm just trying to learn as much as i can.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Julez

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

"Does futaba offer a way to have dual receivers like the jr or is that really overkill? i've never had dual receivers in anything yet , but just wondering if thats a requirement for 2.4 stuff?"
If you mean "do they have satellite Receivers?" No. They don't feel they are required with their system.
If you mean "can I use 2 separate RX's at the same time in the same plane?" Yes.
Well, its better to speak in terms of "diversity" here. The same thing spektrum achieves with dual recievers, is achieved by futaba with dual antennas. The idea is to get the signal from 2 spots with a little distance to each other. If you put one spektrum rx on point A and the satellite rx on point B, or if you do the same with the sensitive antenna ends of a futaba rx: the result is the same.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 PM
tkilwein

I have over 13 hours on the 14MZ 2.4GHz and it has been rock solid for me.
So much so I bought 2 more rx's and will get another shortly if stock holds out
and the Bank Of Fun gets a few more $$.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 PM
wings

Here is the summary of the technical differences between the two technologies.

I don't believe one is any better than the other, just different way of doing things.

[link=http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/spread-spectrum.html]Spektrum vs FASST technologies[/link]
Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 PM
brenthampton79

Well I think that you all have answered my main question. Is that either radio is just as good as the other, depending on what you are used to and preference.
julez that helps answer my question about the 2 receiver thing about the jr pretty much the same thing.
tkilwein that makes me feel good your useing the futaba deal with no issues, i kind of lean futaba since thats what i've had forever and really like their products so far. I also would have to cut a lot of tabs off servo's also to switch.

again thanks everyone for the advice and time to answer my questions