Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum problems

Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 PM
telejojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum problems

Today I was flying my Twist 150 and when I got ready for another flight I put the glow driver on and the reciever went dead.I had to rebind it.So I flew another flight and was going to fly again and the same thing happened when I touched the plug with the glow driver..............WHAT'S UP.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
DougV

Default RE: Spectrum problems

Can you please tell us a little bit more about you system?

Doug.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
telejojo

spectrum 6 ch. reciver with 3400 lipo bat with align regulator dropping it to 6 volts. Dx7 trans.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the "glow driver"?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 AM
telejojo

Duralite.................
Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

is the glow driver wired to the main rx battery?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
telejojo

no...............it's a Duralite box
Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
RJConnet

I have no experience with SS but very often when connecting the glo battery to the glo plug with my 72 mHz equipment I will get a momentary twitching of the control surfaces. This is caused by the spark created at the instant of contact or the breaking of the contact. That spark creates a blast of broadband rf energy, if some of that rf is up into the 2.4 gHz band it might be getting into the brain of the SS Rx and scrambling it. All of the proponents of the SS people say this will not happen but it makes you wonder. Just somthing to think about..........RJ
Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 AM
djk

Spektrum has released a capacitor to be added to the system. It appears that if there is a problem with voltage sensitivity. Should the Rx input dip, the receiver reboots. Might help you...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: djk

Spektrum has released a capacitor to be added to the system. It appears that if there is a problem with voltage sensitivity. Should the Rx input dip, the receiver reboots. Might help you...
This (the capacitor) has been repeatedly brought up and JR/Spektrum reps have repeatedly stated that these are for use on electric cars and NOT for A/C use. Bigger/better batteries to prevent low voltages and the latest mods to improve re-boot speeds are the best bet.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well first of all the capacitor for the Spektrum systems is NOT for model airplanes, ground stuff only and there are posts about it on the now closed JR/Spektrum support forum...

Second, even if the the rx "went dead", or had a loss of power that will not "un-bind" the rx. When you bind an rx, it writes a specific code to the the ROM memmory in the rx. The only way to undo that is to insert the bind plug in the rx and power it up.

As for the spark causing a problem; I don't think you're talking about enough of an issue to cause a problem. There have been some instances of sparkplug wires on gassers which were not properly grounded causing glitches with the Spektrum radios however that is a much hotter, larger spark. That would happen with the other frequency bands as well.

Most of the issues with "un-binding" turn out to be inadvertent depression of the bind button on the tx while powering up and most of the rx issues turn out to be power supply problems. Just because you have a large mah rated Li-Po and regulator doesn't mean there isn't an issue. I have one 50cc size model that had dual Li-Ions with dual switches and dual regulators of a size suitable for a 35% model. After landing the first time with the updated firmware that can show a power brown out (the flashing rx lights) I saw the flashing lights meaning the rx had at some point gone below the 3.5 volt threshold necessary to cause a shutdown/reboot. That had been going on for some time but because the rx had the original Quick Connect, I never knew about it. I could not cause a low voltage shutdown on the ground and found no fault with the system.

Now it should not have happened, but it did and now my gassers have A123 batteries with no regulators and they work great. In fact even my glow models with the exception of the trainer I keep around are on A123's now. So just because you think your power system is up to the job does not mean that is the case. However, I think there is some other issue here as there should be no reason for the rx to turn off when you put the glow driver on the engine you say there is no connection between the model's power system and the glow driver. There's something else going on you're not seeing or relating here?????

edit info;

Looks like Bruce beat me to it on the capacitor question while I was typing....
Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
dribbe

What Rx do you have?
What device is plugged into you BATT/BIND port (or bind port?)
Did the Rx lights blink indicating bind mode?

David