RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Castle Berg 7P question?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Castle Berg 7P question?

Can I run 7 digital and 2 non digital servo's from this rx alone? Will I need a power expander. I am trying to outfit my H9 edge 540 33%. I have 7 hs5955tg and 2 hs81mg's for throttle and choke. I was wondering if this rx would support that type of draw. I could not find anything out from CC website on this info.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Castle Berg 7P question?

Well upon input from a few flight partners and my own personal preference I went ahead and ordered a smart fly from chief. I would still like to know this info for future projects though.

Kevin
Old 03-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't answer your question, but in my experience, Castle is very good at answering emails.

http://www.castlecreations.com
Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't use a Berg 7P in a 33% airplane.

Remember that these are only single-conversion receivers and despite what Berg/Castle claim, they simply do not have the same image rejection as a good DC receiver.

I'm sure that people *do* fly 33% airplanes with Berg receivers, but I personally can't see the sense in risking a very expensive model by saving a few bucks over a good DC PCM receiver. I mean, you've got nearly $800 worth of servos in that plane and you want to use a $50 receiver?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Berg receivers. I've been using Bergs for what must be five years now and have had great service from them (except for the batch with sleeping sickness before Castle took over). Right now I'm using one in a 3D profile with a Saito 100 on it and it works very well but there's just no way I'd put one in anything bigger than a glow-powered plane.

If you take a look down the flightline of a lage-model/Giant-scale meeting you'll be very hard-pressed to find anyone else using a Berg 7p receiver. There's a good reason for that.

A great receiver they are. A great giant-scale receiver they're *not*.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 AM
3DAP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one in my 4s electric Extra, but I have a pcm R149DP in the 30% and the 27% I agree with the Berg in smaller stuff. I have read about berg 7's internals vibrating loose. I took mine apart and put a little bit of epoxy on several areas. Search this in the history.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Mr. Mugen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guy's. I just got off the phone with Tom at CC. He said they way over built these rx's. They can handle 20A with ease. He also said they have tested them in 30%+ planes and had great luck. I told him my set up and he was more than sure it would be fine. I have no intensions of running it now but I am certain it can handle it now. I do agree a 50 dollar rx is no match for 800 worth of servos. I will use my 2.4 for this one and try the berg in my other bigger bird with as many servo's....the USL. Rather leave it to chance on a much cheaper plane.

Kevin
Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

While Castle might be happy that the receiver will handle it -- they seem to forget that 7x 5955 servos have the potential to suck as much as 10A. The three-pin connectors themselves have a 5A rating so unless you're using a power-box, the *single* connector that supplies power to the receiver is going to have its ratings exceeded.

On anything over 25% I always use dual battery packs, dual switches and dual power leads into the receiver.

This is *especially* important with 2.4GHz since you don't want all those hi-current servos overloading a single power connector to the point where the voltage drop causes a reboot.