Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What do I need for my new car?

Old 04-27-2003, 01:10 AM
spazzyfry123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need for my new car?

I am planning to purchase a new car. An HPI Nitro RS4 3 Type SS Kit. I already have a transmitter from my previous car, a Traxxas Rustler, with a 27.145 frequency. This HPI requires radio equipment, but what does it need (what kind of reciever if it needs one, servos, etc. )? Also please specify what make and model and so on. Thanks
Old 04-28-2003, 12:11 AM
spazzyfry123

c'mon give me something!
Old 04-28-2003, 02:36 AM
strato911

Originally posted by spazzyfry123
c'mon give me something!
For those of us unfamiliar with the Traxxas, we need to know more before we can help.

We need to know more about the transmitter you have from the Traxxas. Is it AM or FM? Positive or negative shift? This will determine what you need for a receiver. Is the new car electric or Nitro? This will determine if you need an electronic speed controller, what battery pack size, and how many servos.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:54 PM
spazzyfry123

Originally posted by strato911
For those of us unfamiliar with the Traxxas, we need to know more before we can help.

We need to know more about the transmitter you have from the Traxxas. Is it AM or FM? Positive or negative shift? This will determine what you need for a receiver. Is the new car electric or Nitro? This will determine if you need an electronic speed controller, what battery pack size, and how many servos.
It is AM. I don't understand what you mean by positive or negative shift (it's a one speed if that helps). The new car (HPI nitro rs4 3 type ss kit) is nitro.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:12 PM
strato911

In North America, the radio systems shift the signal one way or the other (to keep the explanation simple). This results in radio systems which are compatible with some, but not with others. A transmitter using +ve shift can't control a -ve shift receiver and vice versa.

Since the new car is nitro, you will need at least 2 servos. one for steering, and one for throttle. If it has a gear-box allowing you to shift from high to low, or reverse, you might need a third servo, or it might be linked to the throttle servo (push one way for forward, the other way for reverse). My RC experience is limited to aircraft.

Without knowing more about the transmitter, I can't recommend a compatible a receiver (if needed). This forum is used primarily by RC pilots, hence the low response. You'll probably get far better results in the forum for RC Car Radio Equipment. Sorry if I haven't been very helpful.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:34 PM
spazzyfry123

it's ok, it's probably like me trying to say things about an airplane but we are talking about radio equipment. if you want me to i can give you info on the transmitter ( by traxxas ). and i can give info on the car too ( the hpi one in this case ).
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm -for the car

http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...es_tqradio.htm -for my transmitter
Old 04-28-2003, 08:31 PM
strato911

Now we're cooking

Since this is an AM radio, I don't think the +ve / -ve shift is an issue. I think this only applies to the FM systems, and possibly only on 72Mhz (aircraft frequencies).

Based upon the info on page 4 from the HPI manual (click here), you need 2 servos, a 4-cell (4.8V) battery pack, a receiver, and an on-off switch. As for selecting which make and model, that's a personal choice based upon price, and personal brand preference.

To gaurantee compatability, how about a Traxxas receiver $24.59 (click image to order from Tower Hobbies)

And servos can be any brand... Tower Hobbies sells the Traxxas servos as well ($20.99 ), or you can get Tower's own brand for abaout half the price ($9.99 ) with the same strength and speed specifications.

I would recommend NiCd batteries instead of alcaline. Based on the picture in the manual, a square pack is in order. Something like this for $11.99

You can probably find these items a little cheaper if you hunt around, but since you're asking, I assume you might be uncertain what you're looking for. If you use these links, you know you'll get what you need.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:44 PM
strato911

Ooops, I almost forgot... When you order the receiver, it comes without a crystal, so don't forget to order one of those too ($9.29)
Old 04-29-2003, 12:48 AM
spazzyfry123

I appreciate this a lot!! It helped a large amount!! Thank you
Old 04-29-2003, 01:30 AM
spazzyfry123

But one more thing and I'll leave you alone : You said two servos, two of the same servos (like the tower hobbies one you showed me)? Do you mean two that are exactly the same, or are there two different individual ones i should get for throttle and steering? Do you understand what i am asking?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:57 AM
strato911

I think I understand what you're asking.

You need 2 servos total. They can be both the same as the Tower servo I posted above, or if you feel the need for a stronger or faster one on the steering, check out the high-performance servos (click here).

There is no need for a high-performance servo for throttle.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:03 AM
strato911

As a newcomer to RCUniverse, you probably didn't know this...

The author has the ability to delete his own posting. If it is the only post in a thread, the whole thread should dissapear.

Click on the "Edit" button of the post in question, then on the next screen place a check mark at the top where it says Delete and then click onthe button "Delete Now"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	74401_14637.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	44475  
Old 04-30-2003, 12:15 AM
spazzyfry123

I guess what I'm trying to say is: They can both be the same make, but do I need different models of let's say tower hobbies. You know, like one model is just for steering. And one model is just for throttle.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:29 AM
strato911

Originally posted by spazzyfry123
I guess what I'm trying to say is: They can both be the same make, but do I need different models of let's say tower hobbies. You know, like one model is just for steering. And one model is just for throttle.
Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly enough.

You can use ANY two servos. Any brand, any model (as long as they are strong enough).

Servos come in different strengths and speeds. The throttle doesn't need to be high powered, but depending on the vehicle and driving style, sometimes a stronger or faster servo is needed for steering. I would recommend you start with two standard servos like the ones I originally suggested. If the steering is "sluggish", replace only the steering servo with a stronger, faster servo.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:17 PM
spazzyfry123

All right, thanks. Thats all i needed to know.