Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Ace MicroPro 8000 SS systems

Old 04-27-2003, 06:42 PM
GMG-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace MicroPro 8000 SS systems

I have some questions. I have six operational MP8000 Single stick transmitters/ receivers which I do not use at this time. All are on 6M ham band. They have the metal gimabal stick assemblies and work perfectly. Qs are: 1. can one still find Ace FM RF decks for 72Mhz band and 2. are these systems of any value and worth putting on RCU for sale. I also have a lot of spares, trim assemblies, antenna, sticks, etc. I'd appreciate any and all responses. Thanks for your interest.

Mike
Old 04-27-2003, 11:18 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

FMA makes rf decks that will work
Old 04-28-2003, 12:02 AM
The PIPE

Default YouMMIGHT want to check out THESE threads here at RCU...

Dear GMG:

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN...and you MIGHT want to check out the threads here at RCU, specifically at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...776&forumid=27 , http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...468&forumid=27 , http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...598&forumid=27 , and MY very own thread about "Building your OWN Single Stick Radios", here at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...053&forumid=70 !

Check out ALL these threads for some good links about selling your MicroPros-and also why a good MANY of them will very likely eventually get upgraded to GORDON ANDERSON'S magnificent MICROSTAR encoders-as the MicroStar is what the MicroPro WANTED to be, but never got to be, due to reliabililty problems from its HIGH integrated circuit parts count over the years, and the TIMING PROBLEMS that sort of design can have-it's a problem I have had PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with, in fact-and NOT just with MicroPros, either! That MicroStar is "all on ONE" chip, and THAT simple fact of its "relative simplicity" in its circuit design really seems to make the MicroStar likely to be around for quite a while.

Also, one MORE tip-for replacement antennas for Ace RC Tx gear, especially the ones that used the 39 inch collapsible antenna, the possibly IDEAL answer for these not being available any more is the FUTABA "FUTM5050" transmitter antenna, for some of the 3 through 5 channel Futaba radios of the past. Also called the "ANT-6", it has a metric female threaded base that will EXACTLY fit the metric threaded stud on Ace RC transmitter antenna mounts, and it's ALSO a 39 inch long unit, JUST like hte Ace's was...for some Ace antenna mounts, a bit of the proper diameter heatshrink tubing, shrunk onto the bottom inch of length of the Futaba antenna's base end, will be needed to properly get the Futaba antenna to "snugly" fit into the Ace black plastic antenna mount molding as it's screwed into place-due to the SLIGHTLY smaller diameter of the Futaba antenna's base segment versus those on some of the "older" Ace RC Tx antennas...but it IS the closest thing I've yet found to an easily available antenna replacement for Ace RC digital transmitters!

I'm STRICTLY a single stick "knobby" radio fan...and in one of those threads you'll find out about a new Yahoo Groups forum for the MicroPro AND MICROSTAR radios...heck, the link is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MP8K/ , so go enjoy a look around, and perhaps you'll find a buyer there!

Here's wishing you luck in selling your MicroPros...but if you should EVER feel the urge to start flying the KNOBBY way again anytime soon, AND to have a "more reliable" radio that I've seen the MicroPros behave like, KEEP two of the six MicroPro "knobby boxes" you've got, and contact http://mstar2k.com/ , get yourself a pair of assmebled MicroStar encoders installed into those two MicroPros for more reliability, and start FLYING single stick radios again!

But check the links out-and I'll bet that you'll hit paydirt!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE! )
Old 04-28-2003, 01:11 AM
GMG-RCU

MicroPro 8000 SS Systems

JLLayton and the Pipe: Thank you both for your excellent inputs on the above systems. Since I am a Ham (N9AYI) and a EE maybe I will keep a couple of them and upgrade to new technology as you suggest. Building was always something I enjoyed since the days of single channel and galloping ghost. In fact I built around 6 or 8 Digitrio systems, if you remember them. I still have 3 or 4 SS systems around. All on 27 Mhz, never updated to 6 Meters.

I understand that the M8K encoders are more complex and more subject to failure than newer encoder versions, but up until I quit using them a few years ago there was never any problems. I REALLY enjoyed the Ace PC interface which permitted total setup on the PC and then a download. Why my JR and Futaba still have nothing like that - even today!!

I will check the Web sites you so graciously listed and hope to converse with you folks more frequently on RCU. Thanks again for the input.

Mike in N.IL
Old 05-06-2003, 12:08 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Mike I have 6 MP8's you can email me direct for answers if you need any more help. vettdvr
Old 05-07-2003, 12:20 PM
GMG-RCU

MicroPro 8000

Jim: Thanks for the offer to help. I may take you up on it. I have built all sorts of radios starting the the Kraft single channel stuff in the early 60s to the Digitrios in the late 60s to the Heathkits in the 70s and the Ace Silver Sevens in the early 80s and the MP 8K later. In spite of this, I still need inputs from others. I have slowed down a lot recently (due to the fact the MP8K does not include heli software). Thus the questions about selling these systems. BTW I have four or 5 SS Heathkits that may have some value to those wanting to build SS TX. Again, I may give you a shout later on.

Thanks, Mike G --- N9AY!