Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR XP7202 tx short whip SLOPPY

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM
toywizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR XP7202 tx short whip SLOPPY

JR XP7202 TX short whip SLOPPY

Hello all

I have a JR XP7202 TX and love it. A couple of months ago I wanted a shorter antenna.
I did a bunch of research as most do and decided to stay away from the after market antennas that were not brand specific.
So my wonderful wife ordered me a JRPA155 by JR. Its nice, real nice, so I installed it.

Now, I don't think I am a dummy but I opened up the case after I unscrewed the old telescoping antenna and proceeded to install the new short whip.
It has a sizable load at the base. Now its screwed in and the black whip part protrudes up through the top of the case where the old one came through but its all sloppy.
I mean this is an open shot into the TX unit. I am concerned about the movement back and forth on the mounting screw because now the top of the case does not support it like the old telescoping one did.

I emailed JR / Horizon Hobbies and asked the question about maybe needing a grommet or something to fill the void because I did not find this acceptable to have such a large gap around the antenna.
I also stated maybe it should have a riser or standoff to space the antenna up just outside the top of the case. They had said I would need nothing else for this antenna prior to purchasing.
So today I finally get this answer

" Quoted "

Scott, Thank you for the e-mail.
You technically could go to your local hardware store to find a grommet to fill the gap if you'd like. We don't carry anything for this. I hope you find this information useful.
If you should have any further questions, please reply to this email or give us a call at 1-877-504-0233.
Thanks,
Paul L. Product Support Team Member Horizon Hobby Distributors 4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822 877-504-0233 [email protected]

"end quote...............

. Am I the only person that finds this a little unusual? Or Am I just being picky? I even mentioned that I could make a standoff or riser to allow the antenna to screw in at the top of the radio. hmmmmmm

I
Old 04-03-2008, 02:49 AM
slarty

Default RE: JR XP7202 tx short whip SLOPPY

Ermmmm tell me.... are you using the adaptor or did you install that "whip" antenna directly to the antenna pcb ?

Re-reading your post makes me think you were given crap advice.... the whip is mounted on the the adaptor and that screws in from the top like any standard antenna.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPA156
Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
toywizard

Not happy

You are correct. At this time a third person answered my re-forwarded email and he said "yes, you need this adaptor" and he put in the link.

Well dont you think that when I asked if I needed anything else for this antenna? a [DING] would go off somewhere and said -- yes scott, you also need this adaptor.

Now I could not find any other adaptor on thier site except the one for channels 4-9 and thats why I asked if I needed anything else.

Geeesh

It looks like the adaptor I need is also for channels 4-9.

Do you think its just a standoff or riser ? because I can make that up out of a 10mm stainless steel rod.

Has anyone else had problems with dealing with JR support? I have not heard of any but I am just starting to purchase JR products. I normally go for HITEC.

Does anyone think I would have any probs making my own as far as freq range etc ?

I mean its got to be just a riser / standoff, right ?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
toywizard

Done & no slop

After sending a 'nastygram' to my JR support three-some for not at least comparing replies all in the same email nor giving me acurate info, I made a riser for it. Simple 10mm dia. 303 ss with 4mm-.7 threaded holes both ends.
Bottemed out a 4mm cap screw in one end, cut the head off and screwed all of it together. Looks great!!!

It looks like I would have expected ;-)

I will range check it this weekend.

I am surprised more have not run into this prob......or......maybe I am just a tard and should have known what should have gone with it.

Tell me all, is this an example of "JR Support" ?

I hope not, cause I love my XP7202. Interesting because the only reason I got one was that it could store up to 20 models. My Eclipse 7 would only do 7 so I saved it for Helis.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:29 PM
onewasp

Tell me all, is this an example of "JR Support" ?

I hope not, cause I love my XP7202. Interesting because the only reason I got one was that it could store up to 20 models. My Eclipse 7 would only do 7 so I saved it for Helis.

[/quote]

Nope.
Not in my experience.

My experience is just the opposite of yours.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:44 PM
toywizard

Well, I hope mine improves.

Still have not heard back from my questions yet.

I expected a whole lot better.

If I left my customers hanging with miss information and had to tell them they still needed to buy another part to make the first part work.....they would go elsewhere.
I try to get right back to my customers and be as accurate as possible.

Especially if it may be a new customer, never mind taking care of old repeats.

I guess I am over picky and expect too much.

Enjoy the weekend all.