Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Your thoughts after reading JR 12X manual

Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your thoughts after reading JR 12X manual

I'm not having the greatest of luck with my 12X Tx battery either. What in the world is that black box with the green light all about? If I plug it in to charge I get the normal slow blinking green light. If I unplug it from the Tx, and then plug it back in, the black box goes to rapid flash and won't charge until I unplug the wall wart from the wall and start all over. Who thought this was a good idea?? Conversely, my 2.4 GhZ 9303 w/ the std. wall wart charger hums like a kitten. It pumps the Tx battery up to 11.2v and I can fly five plus 15 min. flights at 10.5 or greater volts showing. With a full charge (green light on steady) the 12X won't show 11 volts and rapidly depletes to the mid 10s. (I haven't used it enought to see how fast it actually depletes). Great radio, mediocre instruction books, battery sub par. BTW, everyone with a 12X know how to increase the throttle tension? I'm convinced the instruction book is wrong. Airwayman
Old 10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

My experience with the 12X battery is similar to yours. I sent both the battery and the charger back to Horizon. They returned it with the comment there was nothing wrong with either item.

It seems that the battery only marginally has a 2000mAh capacity. It has to be discharged down to 0.9v per cell immediately after the charge cycle. The included charger has a rate of 250mA. It raises the battery temperature to more than 120 degrees F by the end of the charge cycle. I was able to get the rated capacity by putting it on a 200mA constant current charger for 24 hours. At 200mA the battery temperature remains reasonable.

My impression is that the 12X inherently consumes more current than the 9303, especially if the screen is back lit. While the present battery meets my needs, I would welcome a 2500mAh battery.

Concerning the throttle tension adjustment screw, it is hidden under the flap next to the module (on the MV or where the module would be on the 2.4) I understand the 10X had the same error in the instructions.

Allan
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
seattle_helo
My Feedback: (1)

The 12X manual does leave something to be desired. It's not horrible, but they missed some obvious errors (like the tension adjustments).

As for the battery, I've continued to enjoy good performance from mine. After a charge session with the stock charger my battery is usually at 11.2 volts. It remains above 10 volts for quite a few flights- four to five. I don't charge until it's at 9.6v or less and have flown down to 9.4v. Overall, I do wish we had an approved lithium battery option. I do prefer the charge routine and power density of lithium. Horizon should give us this option.

nick
Old 10-08-2008, 04:55 AM
airwayman

Nick, why are you waiting to charge? Still flying at 9.4v? Yeow, scares me. Anybody else doing this? Airwayman
Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 AM
CoronaL

you would think for the price we paid for the 12x they could have included a battery that is more than a $10 value????????????????
Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 AM
seattle_helo

ORIGINAL: airwayman

Nick, why are you waiting to charge? Still flying at 9.4v? Yeow, scares me.
The battery is 9.6v at nominal voltage. Waiting to charge it until 9.4v simply assures that it is sufficiently discharged. The low batt alarm on the 12X does not sound until 9.0v so I still have a safety margin. I don't always fly down to 9.4v but I do sometimes.

Not having to deal with proper discharge concerns would certainly be an advantage with a Li pack.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Lone_eagle
My Feedback: (181)

I understand from reading the manual that separate channels can be mated for twin engine operation. What I can't understand is how to set up a throttle curve for one engine and a different throttle curve for the mated engine so that the engine rpms will be matched throughout the throttle range. Can anyone help me?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Old Claw

G'day ALL... I have a new 12X on 2.4 ghz. I'm trying to program it in a Comp-Arf Euro.  I have the wing type selected as Delta. The right ail is in ail channel, the left goes to elev. [At this point the manual says the plug the right control to aileron channel two and plug the the right control into elevator] I guess they mean the LEFT control. Okay, so that works fine. Now. I can adjust the travel of the control for either elev or ail but if I alter aileron travel, it also alters elevator travel. The Euro has about 15mm up and down for ail, but require as much as 45 mm up for elev. Does anyone on line know what the blazes I should be doing? Surely I can have 45 mm up on elev, but only 15mm up on left bank??? Please help. Ancient Cliff
Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Old Claw

G'day ALL... I have a new 12X on 2.4 ghz. I'm trying to program it in a Comp-Arf Euro.  I have the wing type selected as Delta. The right ail is in ail channel, the left goes to elev. [At this point the manual says the plug the right control to aileron channel two and plug the the right control into elevator] I guess they mean the LEFT control. Okay, so that works fine. Now. I can adjust the travel of the control for either elev or ail but if I alter aileron travel, it also alters elevator travel. The Euro has about 15mm up and down for ail, but require as much as 45 mm up for elev. Does anyone on line know what the blazes I should be doing? Surely I can have 45 mm up on elev, but only 15mm up on left bank??? Please help. Ancient Cliff
Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve never had a delta wing but this should work. In one of the linear program mixes, mix AILE to AILE. Set both left and right mix to around -70% for POS0. Adjust your linkages to get the throw you need for pitch. Adjust the mix percentage for the roll.

BTW, the MONITOR menu is handy for determining the receiver channel assignments. The upper left is channel 1. Below that is channel 2, etc. The upper right is a continuation of the left column (probably channel 7). The lower right is the last channel. If you have a 12XMV, the number channels shown will depend on the modulation.

Allan

It took 10 hours for this to dawn on me but a simpler way is just go to menu 13 (D/R & EXP) and dial down the aileron rate.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:54 PM
BobtheNuke

Here's my thoughts on the 12X, which I own - and can compare to the Aurora 9 and an EVO 12 also. I find the 12X manual to be poorly written with photos of screen shots that are so faint as to be almost unreadable.When they can be read they rarely show what the text is describing, but the screen prior to any recommended changes. The Royal EVO is so-so but still far more readable and makes more sense than the JR, and the Aurora 9 manual is light years ahead of both; it even gives a "dictionary" of what their terms are and how they relate to the system. Can you imagine JR ever providing translation for what they call functions or surfaces? This is, to my thinking, the greatest issue with JR - what the hell are they talking about?

As far as programming goes, the JR (regardless of the claim that channels can be selected for switches or vice-versa) is not so flexible as they would have you believe - there are "rules" that are not mentioned in the manuals that really screw up logical thought and processes. It would be great if something came out with files for setups as are supplied by Hitec for their Aurora and the Multiplex EVO Tutorial that's available on line. It's pretty difficult and requires work arounds to get some functions connected to the proper switches/levers and this is a real programming problem. The MPX is far more flexible and once you forget "Asian" programming it's really simple and quite logical; It takes little time to set up a complex model to respond exactly as one would prefer. The Aurora 9 has a few bugs still which, hopefully, will be corrected soon and is almost "too" easy to program and retains less flexibility than I would prefer. It's almost like the dumb relative of the Royal EVO and is great for some setups but a little too quirky for others. I also hope that they come out with a 12-14 channel version to handle my large scale sailplanes. After the destruction of a very pricy TD ship to my EVO I no longer fly with it, even though it's been repaired. A new Tx costs a whole lot less than the TD glider so it's not worth it to take a chance repeating that event. I now fly only on 2.4 with my Aurora and JR12X. I just wish they had software similar to the EVO. From a Human Factors standpoint JR needs to get rid of those dopey round knobs that few people like and replace them with switches or something more functional on the faceplate. That aside, the JR 12X feels "right" as do the Aurora 9 and the EVO is still my favorite as far as balance and feel. I was about to purchase one of the new Airtronics transmitters but couldn't get past that "ridge" that presses into the balls of my thumbs...perhaps only my problem, but it didn't feel good to me and that's a shame as it's probably a great Tx for sailplanes. It's been so long since I've flown Futaba (back in the AM days) that I can't comment at all on them. As usual, it's always different strokes for different folks.

My thoughts and opinions only -

bob
Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
airwayman

This is off the present discussion but pertains to the 12X. My oldest 12X is 2 1/2 yrs. old. Soon after I bought it I experienced what I thought was a radio software failure, as it wouldn't change out of the System to the Function menu. I sent it in, they said it was a battery failure (really?), installed a new battery and sent it back. It's worked flawlessly ever since. But now the battery is 2 1/2 yrs. old and I want to replace it. Several of my friends have 12Xes and two have also experienced a problem that turned out to be battery battery related. One was a blinking screen, the other went from 9.6 volts to battery alarm during a short flight. We are all leery of the JR OEM battery after these experiences. One fellow heard about Sin City Jets in Las Vegas offering Sanyo eneloop batteries. I Goggled on eneloop batteries and was amazed to see that they are NiMH batteries that hold 85% of their charge for one year. That's light years ahead of regular NiMH batteries and their relatively high self discharge rates. The eneloop cells are 2000 mAh. I heard they might make higher capacity ones down the road but I can fly six times and only put in 400 mAHs so 2000 mAh capacity was good enough for me. My friend sent his pack to Sin City and they installed the eneloops. I opted to have them send me the 8 cell pack, all I had to do was solder the two leads from the IC board to the end of the pack tabs. We've both had the eneloops for a month or so and everything seems to be just great. One word of caution, the heat sensor is no longer installed in either pack so I wouldn't use the JR supplied wall wart to charge with. I was never very comfortable with it anyway as it really heats up the battery pack before it shuts off. I use my Triton which enables me to read the amount of charge which I feel is valuable information. Airwayman
Old 09-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Eneloops are the ONLY way to go....

There are also now a number of vendors who have the Eneloops available to fit inside the radios using cassettes for the battery pack like the 12X.

The 12X included charger is junk IMHO. Running at 12.0 volts rather than 11.6 it just flat cooks the batteries, anyone still using that charger IS going to have problems.