Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Is there a Software flaw in R921 DSM2 Receiver ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is there a Software flaw in R921 DSM2 Receiver ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a Software flaw in R921 DSM2 Receiver ???

I seem to be having what I consider to be a major issue with my 921 recievers. When I power them up all my analog servos drive hard over to the extreme for about 1/2 second them neutralize. I have been on the phone with horizon and even sent a reciever back for them to check out. This potentially can be a major issue. First of all is has got to be hard on the geartrain and second if I experience a "brownout" in flight when it re-boots the controls will go hard causind a snap or even catastropic failure of the airframe at high speed. Horizion denies knowledge of this problem....anybody else ran into this yet ????? BTW when I plug in digital servos this does not happen...Also the recievers have been bound correctly. I even had a tech on line guiding me thru the process and this problem did NOT exist with my AR7000's prior to the firmware upgrades but exists now!!!! Just not as bad ????? I was so pleased with this system untill now
Thanks
Brian
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Is there a Software flaw in R921 DSM2 Receiver ???

This behavior is usually the result of not re-binding the rx after setting up the model.

You say they are bound correctly but it is a two stage process. First bind allows you to setup the model and the second one establishes servo positions when the rx is turned on but before it links with the tx.

If you have not done a bind after setting up the model including any major trim changes, you're going to see servo movement when the rx is turned on and before it links...
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope Zeeb he is right - the servos "burst "for a split second -but if you hold em they don't move I saw this also on my 921 - using the 126A on my elevators -
there is no high amps here just a spike -
Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM
onewasp

{Quote}
-but if you hold em they don't move I saw this also on my 921 - using the 126A on my elevators
{Quote}

Since I have all digitals I haven't seen this.
Does the quote above indicate that 'any' load on the surfaces would negate this spike's effect on the analog servo?
Such as a flight load????
Old 05-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Nope Zeeb he is right - the servos "burst "for a split second -but if you hold em they don't move I saw this also on my 921 - using the 126A on my elevators -
there is no high amps here just a spike -
Hmm....

Well I can't say I've seen a problem but I don't have any R921's on stuff with analog servos as those rx's are in my gassers and they've all got digital servos. I've got one of my updated AR7000's in a Funtana with analog servos and it's okay.

Could be a hiccup worth tracking down, maybe if I get some time and the inclination this afternoon I'll try hooking up a couple of analog servos I've got around here to another updated R921 I have...

edit info:

Just thinking I do have an analog servo on the choke in the Edge but I've not flown it, just setup the control deflections and ran the engine to set it up. I don't remember having any issues when I ran the test for the Quick Connect update or on the initial linkup between the tx and rx.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try binding using the Failsafe and not the smart safe settings.

To do this plug in the bind plug....turn on RX.

Lights Blinking...

Pull the bind Plug, lights stay blinking.

Throttle at low stick...Then Hold the TX button and power on.

This will bind the RX's using F/S settings for the servos. I had this happen on one model with an elevator servo. I bound using the Fail Safe settings and it was no long present. By the way, I rebound it later after to flying to save the current neutral positions after the model had a couple clicks of trim one way or another, and using the SmartSafe default the problem was not seen.

This was Spektrum AR 9000 RX but they RX's are essentially the same.

Try it and let us know what you find.

Another thing I have been doing too...Hold the TX button for a few secs and then let go of it. Wait until the RX links up before start moving any controls. I helped a guy at the field with a new X9303. AR9000 RX had trouble linking up and would get funny F/S settings if he was wiggling the sticks around before it linked up. Just wait for it to link before you move the controls. Sometimes it may take a few seconds before the lights go solid and the RX is linked up to the TX.

I figured there was a timing issue between when he though it was bound and the RX was locked in and programmed. I don't know the sequence of events electronically and how long things really take to link up and get programmed. However, I have not had problems with mine and I just wait for it to link up before I start moving the sticks.

Since you are getting this with multiple RX's i would suspect its not the RX's that are the problem, maybe its being bound to the TX.

I suspect it might be the timing issue or it could be that the Failsafe vs Smart Safe solves your problem.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
rmh

The issue is with non digitals -when I checked it out -first with 126a - I tried 8411/821-8611 etc ., no issue switching back th "pulse "showed up -so i ran thru some other analogue - the high end Airtronics - and some other odds n ends stuf - an old Futaba -al analogues -jumped but there is no hard current burst -just a quick pulse -annoying .
The bind trick ? I will review but the problem was co incident with POWER applicationwhich I think preceeded actual link of signal I believe the new 12 ch rx and th erx with the 13 ga batt connectors - fix this -Iwill have to check it out
Old 05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Thanks all for the replys...there is definately a problem here that horizon is aware of. It has to do with analog servos. Also different servos act...well differently.....it can go beyond annoying.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: bigbri

Thanks all for the replys...there is definately a problem here that horizon is aware of. It has to do with analog servos. Also different servos act...well differently.....it can go beyond annoying.
I spoke with them when I first got a new 921and saw the issue -then tried a bind with a DX7 tx - this switches to the 1024 mode not 2048. the "bounce" stopped -
I will check again with the boffins and see what the plan is I flew the model with the 9303 and the analogues and on 2048 all worked just fine . The bounce was there on that setup -
I saw no power spike which indicated a strain on a servo as any could easily be held during the pulse
I use A123 cells -the max power for any radio-so I saw max power possible.
But apparantly you saw something different and I can appreciate your concern.