Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HI TEC SERVOS

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HI TEC SERVOS

ORIGINAL: MR G

Hey Mike,

I understand not to use loctite with carbonite or plastics. My question is the servo horns supplied with hitec servos (5955) appear to be a nylon or a heavy plastic in composition, does the use of loctite have any affect on these? I really hope not.

Thanks,

MR G

I Have metal geared servos that have plastic servo arms / wheels. I do use locktite on these servo screws. Since you don't apply the loctite to the arm itself, and you aplly loctite to the screw you will be fine. My metal geared servos are installed on a 90 sized helicopter that performs pretty violent maneuvers every weekend.

Rafael
Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
liketoflyalot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rafael,
Thanks for the info i'm really learning fast about alot of stuff the last few days.

Ray
Old 05-08-2008, 02:55 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

MrG- No, there has never been any issues with that. FYI: The HD horns are not the same material as the Karbonite gears (Even though they look similar.)

Mike.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
liketoflyalot

Just noticed that there is a rank # 9700/1000 next to my thread is this good or bad?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:41 PM
bentgear

Just a thought, if you are using so much loctite that it gets all over the servo horn you may be using too much and that may be why people can't get the screws back out. All it takes on a small screw like this is a small dot in the threads. If it is still a concern another product works well in this application, the wifes or girlfriends nail polish.

Ed M.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:40 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Even if you don't get Loctite on the horn itself, it's still hard to get a grip on the philips head screw. For me, the price of a few socket head screws is not too much to pay to eliminate the problem.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

At the risk of sounding dumb.what is wrong with his screen name???...
Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
GBR2

It use to be something different
Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 AM
liketoflyalot

SoCalSal,
My screen name before had upset a few people . So i changed it . I will not put it up again because i have removed it .
Thanks
Ray
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM
bentgear

Larry, another thing to look at on the phillips screws is they are actually JIS, so a phillips screwdriver does not fit correctly. But I do agree that replacement using allen headed screws is much easier to deal with. Even then I have seen people using too much loctite or the wrong type and have the head snap off.

Ed M.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM
liketoflyalot

Larry,
what is the cost of the screws? I think I'll stick to the stock screws.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 AM
ljones5000

Bentgear, you're right, I also learned that about the screws and had to buy a JIS screwdriver. It does work much better.

Iliketoflyalot, I can't remember exactly the cost for a pack of screws, maybe $10. I remember that they were quite expensive for some little screws but still worth it to me.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 AM
liketoflyalot

Well last night i charged up the cap 232 and tonight will install the Hi Tec Servo 645 for my throttle. This will be the second flight I hope the Fugi dos,nt bring me down!
If it does the next cap is ready to do it all again (just take off servos off first one and install them in second one . Hope not!) I hope to solo This saturday on the alpha 60 .

Have a good day folks!
Ray
Saturday will be sunny and 5-10mph on the wind
Old 05-09-2008, 10:10 AM
liketoflyalot

Could you get the screws from a hardware store?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM
ljones5000

My curiosity got the better of me. I went to my shop and looked. I bought these screws from Airwildhobbies.com and they cost $6.50 for a bag of maybe a dozen. They are in California, close to you, so call em up. As previously mentioned, you can also buy them from Troybuiltmodels.com
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
liketoflyalot

Larry,
Thank you for info I'll check it out.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 AM
GBR2

If your hardware store carries metric hex heads, you might be able to find them. Or try ordering from Microfasteners or RTL. The LHS might also carry them as metric screws are used extensively for heli's and cars.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 PM
twmoody

ORIGINAL: XJet

To be fair, Karbonite is not like nylon it is brittle and has no "give" acting more like metal.

I can understand why someone might think it prudent to use some kind of thread-locker with a Karbonite-geared servo and the fact that there are no instructions to the contrary in the servo's instructions is a point that Hitec ought to address.

We sometimes for get that there are a *lot* of RC fliers who never use the Net (or at least not for researching such an esoteric subject).

Hitec... this has obviously proven to be a problem in the past why not just update the instructions that ship with your servos?
The manufacturer of the Thread locker should be the one to warn you. I have been using Lock Tite for years and if you ever read their data sheets they will tell you that it is not compatible with a lot of plastics. Unfortunately they don't seem to put all of the information on the consumer packages. Of course if they did most users would throw it away with out reading it.

Tom Moody
Old 05-10-2008, 12:57 AM
liketoflyalot

Can anybody answer post #54 for me i asked a lot of people and no one can explain? The rank # like 500/1000 or 12000/1000 ?
Thanks,
Ray