Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 binding

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM
raven7usa
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 binding

I'm currently working on installing a DX7 in a friends plane and he included a 2 wire on/off switch. Not having a 3 wire switch on hand, can I use a 3 wire "Y" harness to complete the binding process?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DX7 binding

Or plug the switch into any spare channel on the RX and the bind plug into the "BIND/BATT" plug on the RX. Power the RX on it will bind up like you had a 3 wire switch.

You could use channel 7 or any open channel.

And yes the YS harness will work too...but its easier to just take another channel.

The power buss bar in the RX is common on all channels. The bind port is the only one that can be used to bind, However you can power the RX from any channel. To bind from outside the model in a charge jack you need the 3 wire switch, but if you have access to the RX you are golden.

Remember it is important after you have the model all setup travel adjustments (End Points), servo reversing and so on...to RE-BIND the system. This will store the new low throttle setting. If by chance you had to reverse the throttle servo...your original bind might think that full throttle is the FAIL SAFE "low throttle"

Another one that gets a few guys is retracts. Sometime the failure to rebind means every time you turn the RX on the retracts go up then the TX links up and they go back down. Re-binding with the gear in the proper down position will eliminate this problem.

Good Flying to you.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM
raven7usa

Thanks Troy, I should be good to go now. I didn't want to take a chance on seeing the Magic Smoke.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Troy Newman

I understand...once the magic blue smoke leaves the chip you can't put it back in....

Doing what I said above will NOT make the magic smoke leave.....

I often power my RX's from a spare channel and not the BATT port. It works on older 72mhz stuff and the DSM stuff as well. The reason for this is sometimes I use dual switches and dual batteries.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 05-10-2008, 05:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Recievers have a power bus thats common across all the positive and negative pins. The receiver doesn't know or care which two pins the power comes from. Each servo channel has a unique signal wire that goes to the circuitry that tells the servos where to move. On the BATT port the signal wire, when grounded (which is what a bind plug does, it jumpers the signal pin to ground) the reciever goes into bind.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Troy Newman

Thanks for the additional input BarracudaHockey.

By the way the bind port can change on various RX's. meaning its not always the battery/Bind port. On the early DSM RX's the batt port and the bind port were the same plug. In some RX's like the new 12ch RX the Bind port and the Data port are the same plug and there are also 2 battery ports in addition to the bind/data, and all 12 channels.

Always double check the markings on the RX. They are always labeled.

Troy Newman
Team JR

Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 AM
raven7usa

Thanks guys, you've explained it very well. Everything went smooth. I just wasn't familar with the DX7 radio. Binding was a piece of cake.