Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How long will a radio last??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 04:02 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will a radio last??

I've been flying a 42% Spacewalker for almost six years now. The radio is a Futaba 8UAP and the receiver is a R148DP. I'm using three S3302s (ailerons and rudder), two S9402s (elevators), and two S148s (throttle and ignition). Each servo is on a separate channel.

I've kept a record of the flights, and the total flying time is just over 250 hours. I've also been using the transmitter for flying a sailplane, and that adds about another 50 hours to the total on the transmitter.

The batteries in the plane and in the transmitter have been replaced twice, and I've replaced one aileron servo that got sloppy at neutral. Other than that, I've had no problems whatsoever. The plane is flown aggressively, but not abused, and has never been crashed or even landed hard. The engine is soft-mounted and the receiver is wrapped in foam.

How long can I expect the radio and the servos to last? Has anyone gotten more time than this out of a radio? Should I go ahead and replace the entire system, or just wait for something to die and risk losing the plane?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76303_1890.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	45484  
Old 05-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

As long as everything works ok, I would continue using it. You might want to send it in for service once a year or so. It will probably fail with a crack in the circuit board or other component from age, "brittleness" etc. I know that the receiver antennas are prone to problems with old age. That said, the circuitry is just like other stuff such as radios. My uncle has a transistor radio that is over 40 years old that works fine. I don't know about the longevity of the transmission circuitry. Perhaps a ham or someone else with experience could enlighten us.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:39 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I flew my 7UHP for 15 years. I used to fly 4 to 5 times a week. Don't get to do that any more but as long as your batteries are good, keep using it. I know the guy that still has my 27 year old Futaba FP-6FN radio and he still uses it. It is way past legal but he is in a remote part of the world and never hardly flies. They will last a long time if you take care of them. I wouldn't replace it. I used to send them in every couple years, but haven't done it for a long time now.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:02 PM
bpannier

I STILL FLY A KRAFT SIGNATURE 1975 ON FM 53.5 WITH KPS 15 SERVOS...MANY BATTERY REPLACEMENTS. STILL WORKS FINE. ONE MISSED SIGNAL AND IT IS JUNKED. I HAVE JR 10 AND FUTABA 9 WHICH GIVE A MUCH BETTER SET UP, BUT LIKE TO SHOW AMERICAN MADE IS GREAT.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you take good care of your stuff. Keep it maintained and it will last a long time. I have a 1973 Kraft to prove it!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:42 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work with "ageing" electronic systems all the time. It is quite common for us to see a unit that has never been to a component shop before and would be over 25 years old. Provided it is looked after electronic components themselves are very reliable.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:53 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by GRANT ED
I work with "ageing" electronic systems all the time. It is quite common for us to see a unit that has never been to a component shop before and would be over 25 years old. Provided it is looked after electronic components themselves are very reliable.
I work for a video manufacturer and I would have to agree. We have been making video equipment for 20+ years and ocasionally we get a unit in for repair that has seen better days. Most electronics circuitry will last a real long time if treated correctly. It is a little different than R/C gear, as the RC stuff is handled more but as long as care is taken it will last quite a long time.