Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Difference in Initial Position and Binding

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 12:02 AM
NCLights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in Initial Position and Binding

Hi all, I installed my nose gear servo control rod, and notice that when I turn on the transmitter, the nose wheel is straight [when the rudder stick is at center], but if I move it a certain way and then turn the transmitter off, the servo seems to revert to a slightly off straight position. When I turn it on the transmitter again and turn it off without doing anything, it stays fine. What could be the problem.

A second question: What exactly is binding? When I move the control via the transmitter, there's a buzz, but I can't tell what it's from.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-07-2003, 01:40 AM
strato911

It is quite common for servos to move slightly when you turn off the transmitter. It is always suggested you turn the receiver off before the transmitter. Some people turn the receiver on before the transmitter to check for interference. I don't like doing it because some receivers will thrash the servos violently if there is a tiny bit of interference, but as soon as the transmitter is turned on, range checks work beautifully, and no problems are experienced in flight.

The easiest way to find out what is binding, unplug all the servos but one. Move the stick associated with that servo, if there's no buzzing, after you stop moving, there's no problem. Continue this way till you know which servo is experiencing binding. If the servo has two items on it (ailerons or rudder & nose wheel), disconnect one pushrod by the servo while testing the other. It will require some time, but is well worth it in the long run.

Keep in mind that if you have large (heavy) control surfaces, sometimes their own weight will cause sufficiant load to make a servo buzz a slight bit.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:50 AM
NCLights

Thanks so much for your help. Unfortunately, I don't need to find out which servo is binding, since I only have one [the nose gear installed]. But I guess I just don't understand what causes binding, so I'm at a loss for what's causing it. Thanks again.