Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

JR R 921 '.4 is not working with regulated LÄ°On

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR R 921 '.4 is not working with regulated LÄ°On

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:48 PM
tuavp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JR R 921 '.4 is not working with regulated LÄ°On

Hi All,

I have been using JR since 10 years and now just step in to 9303 2.4 sytem. My 72 mhz JR 9303 and PCM receiver was working with Fromeco Relion 5.200 MaH LiOn batter + Fromeco adj.Reg.

Today ı tried to set up this system with JR r 921 2.4 ghz receiver. System is binding and working if I first connect the battery to Fromeco regulator then to switch and then to receiver. THIS IS A WRONG CONNECTION. I can not shut down the hole system , I only cut the voltage of receiver by turning off the switch but reg is still working.

If I try the right connection which is battery to switch then switch to regulator then reg to receiver(R 921), system is not working , This system works on normal 72 mhz receiver.

Strange point is if I try the right connection with MPI 6V regulator system binds and works.

Before I get mad , can someone tell me why my system does not work with the right connections with fromeco regulator but it works if ı connect the battery first to regulator????

I hope my english is enough to explain the matter well????

Solution should not be easy like leave the fromeco with the right connection and go to MPI....

Thks for the comments from now on

best wishes from Ankara/TURKEY
Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR R 921 '.4 is not working with regulated LÄ°On

this happens with other regulators. the signal wire is sharing a ground in the regulator and this makes the RX go into bind. The solution is to remove the signal wire from the connector coming from the regulator.

From CC:

CC BEC/SPEKTRUM Compatibility instructions

Castle has learned of a slight incompatibility of the CC BEC with the SPEKTRUM AR 6100, 6200, 7000, and JR 790 ScanSelect receivers. There is a very easy work around for our customers who already have the CC BEC and we are making modifications to the components of all new CC BECs that are built from Nov. 1, 2007, forward.

The simple explanation is that the CC BEC, like most Castle products, is designed to be USB linkable via the signal wire on the servo connector. As part of that, the CC BEC will pull the signal wire to ground unless it is sending a signal on that line. Nothing out of the ordinary with this. Similarly, the Spektrum team designed these receivers to look for a grounded signal pin on the battery port in order to initiate binding. Nothing strange there either. Castle does something similar with our Berg receivers. The problem is that the two designs result in the CC BEC triggering the receiver's binding mode immediately upon power up. We have redesigned the CC BEC to facilitate the USB activities without initiating the binding mode.

For those of you with the affected CC BECs and Spektrum receivers there are at least three solutions:

Remove the orange signal wire from the CC BEC RX power lead before you plug the lead into the battery port on the receiver.
Plug the entire/intact lead from the CC BEC into any other port on the receiver.
Use a "Y" connector to plug the entire CC BEC lead into any port other than the BATT port on the receiver.
If you are unsatisfied with any of the above solutions, please simply send your CC BEC to Castle for upgrade.

Please note that this incompatibility will be immediately apparent. There are no known issues after the system is successfully powered up.

Thanks!
Team Castle
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Eric.Henderson

Great answer - I was wondering what would cause the probem to occur. Thank you from me.

As an FYI On the other side I had a two wire (+ & -) regulator problem. I was out of slots on a 9000 receiver and could not just use an MPI switch to both charge and/or bind.

Normally I have three wire regulators, for the old DSC feature. I had also been using 2-cell Li-ions. But, when I switched to 2-cell Lipo's as my RX batteries I found that some of my regulators got hot, too hot, and caused several very scary moments and emergency landings.

The solution was to switch to different regulators that could handle Lipo's. The MPI regulator with the big heat sink did the job but could not be plugged between the switch and the receiver and still work the charging jack as a bind socket. The regulator worked just fine for the battery/switch/charge set up, but the bind plug would not work when used in the MPI switch jack. The fix was to add a signal wire between the RX and the switch plugs of the MPI regulator.

The signal wire is completely independant of the regulator activity and now allows external plugging in of the bind-plug when required.

Regards,

Eric.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 AM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

Well thats a good idea. That would be a fourth opption for CC. take a signal wire from a servo extention, plug it in the slot vacated by the CC signal wire and jumper it past the CC BEC to a servo plug in the supply side of the BEC, then plug that into the output of the flight switch. you would need a properly wired three line flight switch.

ORIGINAL: Eric.Henderson

Great answer - I was wondering what would cause the probem to occur. Thank you from me.

As an FYI On the other side I had a two wire (+ & -) regulator problem. I was out of slots on a 9000 receiver and could not just use an MPI switch to both charge and/or bind.

Normally I have three wire regulators, for the old DSC feature. I had also been using 2-cell Li-ions. But, when I switched to 2-cell Lipo's as my RX batteries I found that some of my regulators got hot, too hot, and caused several very scary moments and emergency landings.

The solution was to switch to different regulators that could handle Lipo's. The MPI regulator with the big heat sink did the job but could not be plugged between the switch and the receiver and still work the charging jack as a bind socket. The regulator worked just fine for the battery/switch/charge set up, but the bind plug would not work when used in the MPI switch jack. The fix was to add a signal wire between the RX and the switch plugs of the MPI regulator.

The signal wire is completely independant of the regulator activity and now allows external plugging in of the bind-plug when required.

Regards,

Eric.