Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is it worth it repairing servos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 03:30 PM
bpu699
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it repairing servos?

I have a near new 9402 metal gear servo ($100) that I got as part of a package deal from a flier I know well. The servo was new (but purchased 2 years ago...). Within 5-6 flights it started acting up. I use it on the rudder, and at times, the rudder starts to spontaneously oscillate back and forth at high frequency. This only happens at neutral, and stops once the stick are moved...

I assume it is a bad pot...what all of you think?

My real question regards repairing it. I have no reciept. If I send it to futaba/tower for repair, would it be worth it??? What do they charge to fix a servo?? Anyone with personal experience???
Old 05-07-2003, 03:37 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why don't you call and get an estimate of what it costs to fix it? Seems to me that you would get more accurate information. I think they charge a $15 minimum, but they have always been really good to me. I sent them a reciever a while back to check that had switch wires melt because of wire that got pinched and I had it back in 9 days and it only cost me $15. Would be worth that, but depends on your use. I would think it would be well worth fixing. Now if it was a $12 servo, that would be a different story.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:40 AM
Pilotsmoe

metal gear train slop? Is this a digital servo?
Old 05-08-2003, 04:33 PM
bpu699

Its a coreless nondigital - it is though, a high end servo.

I don't think calling the manufacturer would give me an accurate reflection of cost, as Im sure they would want to see it first...

Any real world experience on the cost of fixing servos????? (ie. Futaba)...
Old 05-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Zaquron

I guess u should try and clean the pot with some contact cleaner fluid b4 u send it anywhere. It will probably solve that problem. If not, then you still can send it to the manufacturer and have it repaired by the experts.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:05 AM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

Default servo repair??

I had the same problem on some high end JR servos that I purchased in a plane. When I took them apart the grease in the gear train has turned into a substance that felt like cat litter.
It was binding up and would not let the servo center properly and would buzz like crazy, be cause it kept a load on the servo motor. You might pull the top off and check it out...

Just my $0.02 worth

Don//
Old 05-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Jim Schwagle

Depends. The 9402 is a $100 servo, anything less than that is cheaper than buying a new one. Equivalent servos from other manufacturers are similar in price. How badly do you need a servo that good?
Old 05-15-2003, 04:15 AM
Pilotsmoe

Default Hitec 5945-mg

You might want to look at this servo, Same speed as yours, has metal gears but it is a digital and is almost twice as strong. It is about $10 less. It is a great servo.

You can look here for the specs on the other hitec servos
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/servohome.htm
Old 05-15-2003, 11:14 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

Cat litter? Sure it was not broken gear teeth? I have been inside 100's of servos and never seen what you say.

The grease in JR servos has been either white ceramic or black Moly for years. The white does not break down, but the black can get a bit oily after a few seasons of service. Never seen foriegn matter except broken gear teeth or broken pieces of servo case.

If you need to add grease, a while back somebody at JR told me the white ceramic grease sold by Tamiya was good.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:34 AM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

THe grease was white. and nt a broken tooth in the bunch. In fact I am still running the same servos with the new lube in them. the cat litter grit was very fine. But a core less doesn't need much to make it buzz and jump. Also found out later that using the JR servos with a Futaba receiver would make it buzz if the voltage was to high.
Don//
Old 05-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

You probably only requires new pot, and yes it worthed, Radio South does this for a lot of people, cheap and fast.