Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mounting those 2.4GHz Receivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mounting those 2.4GHz Receivers

I'm from the old school where we used to wrap our 27MC and 72MHz receivers in suitable quantities of foam & plastic and tuck them away with the battery pack under the fuel tank for our glow engined airplanes. It was no problem to route that 39" antenna outside the protective foam padding no matter where in the airplane you stuffed it but...

The new 2.4GHz stuff is pretty minuscule in both size and weight by comparison.

I know for electrics we don't need quite the vibration isolation for the radio components as we do in internal combustion engines. A bit of double sided foam tape, stick it to a fuselage former or the side of the fuse and that's it.

I think most manufacturers still recommend the full foam wrap with the newer gear but how do all of you do it? I see installations at my club's field where they're just stuck on with the tape or velcro. I am procuring the main/satellite receiver setups such as sold by JR and Spektrum. Futaba has their short 2.4GHz antennae at the ends of a longer coaxial lead.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Ugo Ferrari

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mounting those 2.4GHz Receivers

Velcro works for me. Acts just like a shock mount too ! Three planes this way and no problems so far...
ugo
Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ugo,
I hope those three planes are electrics
Seriously, with a larger glow or gasser that receiver could be vibrating around on the Velcro like it was on a paint mixer[X(]
I have the FASST system, so I have my receivers wrapped in foam and the coaxial antennas run into small fuel tubing to hold them in position[8D]
Regards,
Pete
Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

I take a small block of foam and carve out a pocket so the RX will sit down inside the foam flush with the top. I hot glue the foam block to a plywood mounting plate that I attach to the fuse with screws. I cut slits in the foam for the antennas. The added benefit here is that the foam gently keeps the antennas in place. Cut a small slit/hole in the side of the foam for the remote RX wire to pass through. It doesn't need to be slit all the way to the top like the antenna slits do. I also glue a Velcro strap in between the foam and mounting plate to secure the RX (just make sure the strap is glued in far enough back to clear the exit hole for the remote receiver wire.

Since taking these pictures, I've made a few improvements. The picture of the RX mounting in the plane was the first version which used V-shaped notches for the antennas, but simple slits in the foam are easier and work much better. I also incorporate lightening holes in the mounting plate just for general purpose.

For the remote RX, I simply Velcro it on. Sometimes, like on this plane, I use small pieces of antenna tube to keep the remote RX antennas in place, but it's usually not necessary.

It really does work well and is easy to do. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28687.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	955217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14217.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	955218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99262.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	955219  
Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 AM
daven

Heavy Duty Industrial Velcro works well, but doesn't protect the receiver much in the case of a crash.

I'm using it on the fuses of fiberglass planes going 190 mph+ with a motor spinning over 25,000 rpm without issue.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Ugo Ferrari

Nope, Not Electrics, Pilot....46 size planes. The receivers are just hanging there stuck to the fuse walls ! The same installation as my buddies $5000. Gaint Edge ! agree, not much protection from a hard crash. I guess the key is... Try not to crash !! LOL !
Ugo
Old 05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Airtronics 2.4 receivers are a single unit and easy to wrap with foam for protection. The antenna wires are much longer than Futaba and Spektrum and only the tips need be uncovered so they can easily be placed inside the fuselage inside a small piece of antenna tube. Cool!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 PM
pilotpete2

Ugo,
Is that World Models "Super Stunts" stick of yours on 2.4Ghz? Looks real nice
The 4 Star 60 that was in the February issue of RCR, should be switched over by next week. It's already survived one attempted shootdown, don't want to push my luck
Now as to crash protection for receivers, how much foam would Crash Gordon's models need
Regards,
Pete
Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Yep, Pete, that Super Stunts carries the Spektum 2.4 System. What a pleasure it is to fly ! It's so big and light it would crash like a Butterfly ! Therefore, not much crash protection is required....
Ugo