Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Linear Servo v.s. Todays Servo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 04:49 PM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linear Servo v.s. Todays Servo

I'm just curious why did the servo's we use today end up replacing the linear servos that were used in the past? Was it cost, performance, reliability?

I see EMS has come out with a conversion kit to convert a Futaba servo to a linear servo.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:30 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am guessing cost and torque, but that is just a guess. I still have a couple I use very seldom. They have a purpose in some planes though. I think the removable servo arms are a huge plus. If you crack one, you throw it away, on the linear, you have to replace the whole gear and arm.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:57 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another limitation with a linear servo is total throw available. With a rotary servo, if you need more throw, you install a longer arm (noting the resultant torque loss and speed increase in surface deflection). With a linear servo, what you see is what you get!

John