Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba FASST R603FF Antenna Length

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:01 PM
01s0uljah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba FASST R603FF Antenna Length

I've got a favour for all users of their futaba FASST R603FF receivers.. After bashing my savage and breaking off 2 antenna tubes.. the antenna snipped off and i wanna know how much exactly is gone.. so if anyone can measure their antenna length (Just the gray portion) from the receiver all the way to the end.. that'd be great..

Another question is.. how much will I be affected distance wise for my Tx/Rx?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST R603FF Antenna Length

Do a Range Check for starters.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The actual antenna is the small bared wire at the end. The rest is a coaxial cable to get some distance that allows you to mount it. If you broke it off part-way out, then you've broken-off the entire antenna. It will need to go into the service center for repair and retuning.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM
01s0uljah

the whole top part of the unprotected wire is gone.. theres no way i can get it repaired at a local hobby shop?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No. Repairs cannot be made in the field.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 PM
01s0uljah

how would i go about sending into repairs from canada? Do you have a rough estimate on how much its going to cost?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:38 AM
p51flier

ORIGINAL: 01s0uljah

the whole top part of the unprotected wire is gone.. theres no way i can get it repaired at a local hobby shop?
Remove some 3cm of the shielding of the remaining coax VERY carefully. Note that there is a double shielding before you see the last transparent flex! And dont forget a range check! Maybe you will have theoretically greater range due to a reduced damping of the shortened coax. Theoretically! I've learned from german forums that a longer 40cm FASST Rx antenna can reduce the range about 20% which should be neglectable. Here in europe we even can order 40cm original futaba rx antennas and we can mount them ourselves without loosing warranty. I allready asked Bax here at the RCU Futaba forum about the official reduced range of long rx antennas but obviously these antennas are not available in the US. Hence he did not have any information about it.

However, you CAN repair your antennas but be CAREFUL not to hurt the last tansparent flex. If you are not familiar with that I recommend to send it to your national Futabe rep.

Joe
Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Silent-AV8R

Well God Bless you if you can work with coax that small without special tool. I am a ham radio operator and find theat even RG-316 is no treat to work with and it is about 10 times the diameter of the FASST receiver coax.

If it were me I would just send it in.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:46 PM
01s0uljah

okay so here is the issue i'm having in terms of running it currently.. The first thing I do is set the failsafe everytime i go for a run because of the shorten antenna.. once i pull the brake and hit the F/S at the back.. It automatical triggers the failsafe and won't let me throttle.. The only way to reset it is to turn off the receiver and back on..

The weird thing is.. I can run the car without the failsafe fine.. but once i attempt to set the failsafe.. it'll automatically kick in... ideas?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:11 PM
01s0uljah

I was just taking a look at the repair centre charges.. and i'm better off TRYING to repair it myself or buying a new receiver..

20 bucks for return shipping plus shipping there.. and then 15 bucks service fee.. plus the actual repair..
Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 PM
01s0uljah

okay so i took your advice and went ahead with stripping the coxial.. I have about 3cm exposed of transparent flex.. Does this transparent flex go all the way into the receiver? or does it stop for future reference..

ORIGINAL: p51flier

ORIGINAL: 01s0uljah

Remove some 3cm of the shielding of the remaining coax VERY carefully. Note that there is a double shielding before you see the last transparent flex! And dont forget a range check! Maybe you will have theoretically greater range due to a reduced damping of the shortened coax. Theoretically! I've learned from german forums that a longer 40cm FASST Rx antenna can reduce the range about 20% which should be neglectable. Here in europe we even can order 40cm original futaba rx antennas and we can mount them ourselves without loosing warranty. I allready asked Bax here at the RCU Futaba forum about the official reduced range of long rx antennas but obviously these antennas are not available in the US. Hence he did not have any information about it.

However, you CAN repair your antennas but be CAREFUL not to hurt the last tansparent flex. If you are not familiar with that I recommend to send it to your national Futabe rep.

Joe
Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 AM
p51flier

Yes, the transparent flex goes all the way into the rx.